Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AQiu
Beginner

NUC8I5BEK cannot wake up after screen off

My NUC8I5BEK with INTEL 760P 256G SSD is connecting to Sony Tv as media center. However, once the screen off, i will never be able to wake it up by any means except to power it off and turn on again.

Here are what i did, but still cannot resolve this issue.

(1) Update all drivers and windows 10 update (1809)

(2) Disable deep sleep in BIOS

(3) 3 mins screen off

(4) never sleep

It is really annoying now as i have to set screenoff and sleep to "never"

64 Replies
DVrie
Novice

I just ordered a NUC8i7BEH.

But after reading these issues, I don't feel comfortable with my purchase.

It looks like Intel is not taking this issue serious.

I consider to send my NUC back unopened, if there is no sign of (working on a resolution by) Intel. I better look for a non-Intel barebone instead.

Honestly, I hope that Intel staff reacts that a solution is nearby...

raydabruce
Novice

It's been two full months since they released BIOS 0048. You'd think they'd have released an update by now.

I'm having many of the problems that others have with these 8th Gen NUCs. Some of them appear to be BIOS related and others are driver/hardware related.

Except for the audio and sleep issues, I am happy with the performance, I just wish they'd at least show some response to solving these issues or this will be my last NUC purchase.

Mitchell_R_Intel
Employee

There is a BIOS 0051 that has been released.

DNemc
Beginner

Your sources?

Intel website still lists 0048 as the latest release

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/126148/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC8i5BEH Downloads for Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i5BEH

raydabruce
Novice

MrMitch -- that BIOS (0051) is for the Hades Canyon NUCs (NUC8i7HVK & HNK).

EDIT: I noticed today (Dec. 3, 2018) that BIOS 0051 is available for the Bean Canyon NUCs.

I haven't yet tested it with the sound & sleep issues.

Any reports?

DNemc
Beginner

Yeah, I really hope Intel acknowledges the issue and releases updated BIOS with the fix...

JMoli5
Beginner

Now 051 bios update is available, i hope fix the problem

DVrie
Novice

Were you able to try? Did it fix the issue (maybe it is too early to judge already)?

ALast2
Beginner

Today i have upgraded BIOS to version 0051 on my NUC8i5BEH.

That little box (on BIOS 0041 and 0048) crashed every time, a few seconds after it enabled display standby.

On BIOS 0051 it was able te come back from display standby on all four attempts i tried till now.

That's the good news!

Unfortunately, the problem isn't fixed completely. The display doesn't really enter stand-by mode.

It goes to standby, backlight switches off and on again, display searches for signal and after not finding any, it switches backlight off again.... rinse and repeat.

However, this is already a lot better than a crashing system and it's good to see the problem seems to have attention at Intel.

JW7
Beginner

unfortunately ... so had BIOS version 51 running since Friday afternoon.

Today it actually went well all day. I have been pumping up a backup drive of 6TB from 2 o'clock, when I had just returned I had it again; screens in stand-by but in no way activate the case; also unreachable via Plex or Teamviewer, num / caps lock also no response. Strangely enough, the HDD LED gives activity.

Could it be combined with USB? The days before it went well I had nothing except mouse and tobo. hang on the USB.

Screening standby goes out again with me, no sense in lost work.

I run a NUC8i7BEH Windows 10 Pro

raydabruce
Novice

Just flashed in BIOS 0051. NUC8i5BEK.

Screen wakes up now from timeout using either mouse or keyboard.

Connected via HDMI to a Dell U2415 monitor. Win 10 Pro 1809.

Still having the sound problem using front audio jack -- that must be a driver / Windows 1809 issue.

UPDATE: Solved the sound popping by installing driver 6.0.1.8569 from link below:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/realtek-hd-audio-driver-6018569-whql-dated-06-... REALTEK HD AUDIO DRIVER 6.0.1.8569 WHQL DATED 06-11-2018 FOR 32BIT - Microsoft Community

TBroc2
Beginner

Still happening. It just happened to me.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

What's still happening? The wake issue? If so, with what BIOS release, with what Windows 10 release and with what Intel HD Graphics driver release?

ATec
Beginner

How are you trying to wake up the system? (moving mouse? keyboard?) Are mouse and keyboard wired or wireless?

Not sure if the issue might be related with the USB ports when moving the mouse trying to wake up the system....

Maybe you can check this link and try it...

How to disable Windows 10's 'USB selective suspend' setting

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-prevent-windows-10-turning-usb-devices https://www.windowscentral.com/how-prevent-windows-10-turning-usb-devices

Regards

ALast2
Beginner

There is nothing left to wake up (in my case with a NUC8i5BEH at least)

When the monitor is going into standby, Windows on the NUC isn't reachable anymore (thru ICMP ping and Teamviewer)

When unplugging and reconnecting a Razer Deathstalker keyboard (wired USB) the lighting on the keyboard stays off. (So no hardware detection anymore)

I'm quite sure Windows crashes 5-10 seconds after the monitor goes into standby.

BTW: I also tested a Windows 10 install in BIOS (instead of UEFI) mode.

In that situation Windows crashes on entering display standby with a blue screen: "WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR".

Swapping monitors (tested two Samsung's, two LG's) doesn't help, neither swapping the SSD (Samsung Pro 840 and Crucial M550 tested)

raydabruce
Novice

Andy_tec: I tried changing the advanced power settings to disable USB selective sleep settings -- no help.

Same problem persists. I'm using a Logitech wireless keyboard & mouse set.

The same set works with no problem on my tower desktop to bring back the screen or bring it out of sleep with either keyb. or mouse.

The tower has an i3-8100 desktop CPU. USB works whether I'm using the Intel integrated GPU or the Nvidia 1050 Ti.

Not only does the USB fail to bring the NUC screen back or wake up from sleep, pressing the power button will not shut the NUC down even though I have it set that way in power settings.

Only a long press on the power button to force power off works -- then a cold boot.

I'm wondering if we're missing a BIOS setting to remedy this... if so, I haven't been able to find it.

ATec
Beginner

Hello raymondbruce

You may check this link, refer to "Option 1 > Wake on USB" and "Option 2 > Disable Deep S4/S5 in BIOS ". Those are some instructions from Intel addressing issues when unable to wake the NUC.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023873/mini-pcs.html Remote Control or USB Device Doesn't Wake Up the Intel® NUC

Also, if your NUC has charging USB port (orange), try to plug in the transmitter into that USB port

Hope this helps.

Regards.

raydabruce
Novice

Andy -- The BIOS graphic shown at that link does not match my 0048 BIOS.

It looks like it came from a NUC7 or older BIOS or maybe a different model or NUC motherboard.

I have no option box or setting for Wake on USB.

I also have no option box for Deep S4/S5.

I did disable windows fast boot but that did not solve the problem.

For now I'm simply setting both sleep and screen off to "never".

There is no problem with manually putting the NUC to sleep with Win-X, U, S. -- it wakes up with any USB mouse movement or a keystroke.

As for screen off -- I'll just turn off the monitor.

I also have the sound issue discussed here.

When the next models of NUCs come out, I'm going to check this forum for at least 3 months before buying.

(Wish I had done that before buying my NUC8.)

JGlov
Beginner

I originally purchased my nuc8i5bek with the intention of running ubuntu. That's not working (see/thread/130045?start=15&tstart=0 this other thread)... so I figured I'd try Windows 10 since that is what Intel claims is supported on this device.

I don't get random reboots with Windows 10, but every time the screen shuts off, the machine hangs solid. As has been noted by others, the keyboard is dead when this occurs (NumLock/CapsLock will not toggle the LED's).

As with others, I have:

• Updated the BIOS to rev 0048
  • Installed the latest release of Window 10 (Version 1809, OS build 17763.134)
  • Installed all of the Intel-provided windows 10 drivers, except for the Optane driver (since I don't have an Optane SSD installed)

Other info:

• I have 32 GB of Crucial DDR4-2400 DRAM installed. As noted on the Ubuntu thread, the NUC ran memtest86 for a good 12 hours (1-3/4 full passes) without errors, before I stopped it. No reboots, no hangs. I suppose if I needed a PC to just run memtest all the time, the nuc8 would fit the bill. Of course, memtest86 leaves the screen on all the time, and does not enter any system low power states.
  • I have 1 TB WD Black SSD installed. Also as noted on the Ubuntu thread, I tried removing the SSD and running ubuntu "live" from a USB stick, and it still rebooted when the screen shut off.
  • Since this seems somehow video related, it's possibly worth noting that the NUC is plugged into a Samsung 1080p 24" TV via HDMI.

Again, Windows 10 hangs (while Ubuntu usually reboots), when the screen shuts off. If I'm really fast to hit a key after the screen turns off, the machine sometimes wakes back up. But the NUC is locked up solid after a few seconds of the screen blanking.

I will set Windows 10 to leave the screen on all the time and see if the machine runs reliably that way.

It would be really great if Intel would acknowledge that there is a problem and that they are working on it.

GKurt1
Beginner

I've had this issue since new. Bios 48 would hang, on bios 51 it did not. On 51 I made some changes to the sleep but I don't remember exactly what I did. I installed bios 56 last week and now it will not wake again.

DNemc
Beginner

Same here. Worked better with BIOS 0051. Now after updating to 0056 back to how it was before :-o(