Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC8I5BEK freeze with Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2400 SODIMM memory

New NUC8I5BEK, Samsung EVO Plus 250GM M.2 NVMe,  clean W10 install, updated BIOS (BE0081 set to default) NUC drivers installed/updated with Intel assistant and Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2400 SODIMM memory, purchased as set.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019MRBKYG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With both 8GB memory installed NUC freeze, solid lock up at start up screen, hard reboot to recover.  With either single 8GB module installed NUC seems to run fine.

Don't know much about memory and the differences.  Picked this based off Amazon reviews and price/availability.  Seems like other folks using with no issues, what am I not doing correctly???

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

My gut response to this hang is a memory issue. I don't see this as being a compatibility issue, however (Aside: Corsair does a crappy job of documenting their part specs., so can't be 100% positive). My recommendations are:

1. As Al said, make sure you have latest BIOS installed.
  2. Try running with only one SODIMM installed. If this seems to work, switch it to the other slot. If this seems to work, switch to the other SODIMM and try it in both sockets as well.
  3. Run a good (8+ hour) test of the memory using MemTest86 or MemTest86+ (I use the later).

Hope this helps,

...S

Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks Guys, yea BIOS is updated to latest and memory is also listed as Intel Validated for this NUC.

https://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?EPMID=126147

Either SODIMM seem to work OK in slot 1, just not both.  Have not tried single in slot 2...

Everything listed including memory is brand new just out of the box.  Does it seem likely that Corsair would distribute faulty products?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019MRBKYG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Easy enough to return and order something else, any suggestions?  Clueless what is good/better/best when it comes to memory modules:-/

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I would first verify that each of these SODIMMs works without issue when singularly plugged into the other socket. If they both seem to work, either you have memory that is not working properly when dual-channel mode is enabled or you have a processor that is not working properly. In this case, it is likely easier for you to replace the memory than it is the NUC itself., so I would do so. 

As a brand, I see nothing wrong with Corsair. Fact is, issues do slip through the cracks and you can get brand new memory that is bad. I do not believe that they thoroughly test every single module. They likely have a quick acceptance test that they run on most SODIMMs and a thorough test that they run on only a few randomly-chosen samples per batch. 

If you want to look at alternate brands, my go-to brand is Crucial. When my frugal nature is asserting itself, I have saved money and gone with G.Skill and have not been burned yet (there are a few folks on this forum who would disagree with me, however). I stay away from Kingston; they've burned me a couple of times.

Hope this helps,

...S

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

@n_scott_pearson, can I ask why the somewhat negative mention of GSkill (or that others in the forum don’t like it)? I’m curious as to why. It generally gets really good reviews from users and pros. I also just ran across a difficult memory issue when trying to upgrade and just purchased a GSkill set. Has the same Or better specs and such as Crucial, Corsair, etc but was a much better price. Also, is Kingston’s HyperX viewed as negatively as their other RAM? In my research, I’ve noticed a lot of negative towards Kingston but some positive regarding HyperX. I can’t tell if HyperX is as bad as Kingston’s other RAM.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

@questrov, I tried the Patriot Viper Steel 2400mz DDR4 SODIMM that was really well rated on some pro tech sites. The Intel NUC manual/wiki said that as long as the size was the same, timings, speed and other differences wouldn’t matter and the NUC would run in dual channel. Well, I installed the extra 8GB RAM at the same time as a new M.2 NVMe SSD (I had been using an older 2.5” SATA on my 8i7BEH) and then installed a new OS on the new drive. I started having frequent total lock-ups requiring hard power reboot. I tried everything thinking it was the OS install. I spent days on support site pouring through logs trying to see what may have caused the lockup’s. I ran a memtest but it seemed to be OK (though I’m still not sure if I have to move the RAM to the 1st slot for memtest to check it - it found both sticks but didn’t seem to check the 2nd slot when testing). I decided to take it out and see what happened, and I’ve not had a lock up in days (hadn’t gone more than 12 hours or 24 at most prior to that, sometimes much more often. I did a lot of research. Almost purchased the Crucial Ballistix DDR4 SODIMM set but it was harder to get and more expensive for the same specs as the GSkill. It’s $56 with free shipping/Prime for an 8GB matched set on Amazon or possible a couple of dollars cheaper on Newegg.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017UC3VOM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  It is on the compatibility list for the NUC. It’s a good price and had a lot of good reviews. Mine arrives Monday. If it doesn’t work, I’ll be looking at the Crucial again.

Did you buy the Corsair as a set or separately? Apparently RAM can be tricky because few brands actually make the memory chips that go on the RAM stick - they purchase from just a handful of brands. The three most prominent are Samsung, Micron, and SK Hynix. Micron is the only one that has its own brand - Crucial. So, you will likely always get a compatible stick if the model number is the same. The problem with other brands is that they may switch suppliers for their memory chips but keep the RAM stick model number the same. So you can’t be sure that they are compatible unless purchased as a set or from one of the actual manufacturers. You may already know all this but I’ve learned a lot researching the last few weeks.

I would take the advice of the other poster and be sure both RAM sticks work in your 2nd RAM slot. That way you’ll find out whether it’s an issue with the NUC (if there’s a problem with your 2nd RAM slot or the NUC not working properly in dual channel mode) or if it’s a bad stick of RAM or incompatibility for some reason with them running together for any of the reasons above or any number of others.

Best of luck! I hope you get it working.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

G.Skill is often thought of as being 'the bargain brand'. Since I have not had any issues with any of their memory that I have purchased, I consider this a plus, not a negative. I couldn't find my way to the negative reports I remember reading, unfortunately, but they could have been back when the NUC7i7BNH came out and had problems in general with XMP memory.

...S

0 Kudos