Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TKoch2
Novice

NUC8I7HVK HDMI output losing settings after turning off the screen.

Hi everybody.

I hope someone is facing the same issue than me... It is really annoying. I bought this unit based on the very good reviews done all over the world and some points get me frustrated. My NUC is plugged to my Samsung Q7 television through HDMI and therefore it sounds all good till there right? No... After some hours working on the station, you get obviously tired and you wanna do is just turn off the display and take a nap to continue after... I do it all the time, but when I turn back on the TV, my display settings get completely lost and it comes back with a weird definition that doesn't match at all with my previous configuration. To solve the issue, I need to restart my NUC and it comes back with my previous settings. Does someone have the same issue?

0 Kudos
31 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello TKoch2, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. To better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps: 1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R. 2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter. 3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop). 4. Attach the report to this thread. Also, I would like to request a picture of how the resolution looks like when the display is turned ON since you mention that it looks weird. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
TKoch2
Novice

Hi David thanks for replying. I will do it and post it here ASAP. Thank you

TKoch2
Novice

Hi David.

I took some screenshots before and after the incident. Additionally you will find the dxdiag here below.

Regards,

20190329_223312.jpgBefore monitor off 1.jpgBefore mnitor off.jpgAfter monitor off 1.jpgAfter monitor off.jpg

TKoch2
Novice

posted a file.
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello TKoch2, Thank you for your response. Why are you selecting the option for Virtual Super Resolution? Does the issue happen even if that option is not selected? Please provide me with the full model of the TV as well as the model of cable used to connect the system to the TV. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
TKoch2
Novice

Hi David. Thanks for replying. I don't know why this option is selected. But anyway, if it is available and I can select it, why not? For what is this option meant?

Answering you, I've checked this point by my own yesterday, and if the option is not selected, I don't have the problem... My TV is a samsung QE55Q7FAMTXZG using a 2m 4K high quality HDMI cable.

Thank you

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello TKoch2, Thank you for your response. I have been doing some testings on site and I have not experienced the same problem with the resolution, I need to know, does this happen right away? So for example, you turn the Virtual Super Resolution ON and then turn OFF the display, wait a few seconds and then turn the display ON again? Does it happen when you do it like that? Also, to answer your question, Virtual Super Resolution allows games to render at higher resolutions and then rescales them down to a lower native display resolution which could mean that the resolution is trying to scale down to the TV's native one and there could be a conflict. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
TKoch2
Novice

Hi David

The example you've described, is exactly my case. By turning of the virtual super resolution, everything works fine. The second issue I'm having, and I don't know if I need to open a new thread, is when I drag my mouse over my different drives in the windows explorer, I can notice some "ghosts" similar to the mouse trails being displayed. Could you test it please?

Regards

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello TKoch2, Thank you for your response. This is not a normal behavior, there should not be a trail showing when dragging the mouse over the drives in the explorer. Could you please attach a small video showing how the issue looks like? This is because the issue cannot be tested since it does not happen. Let me know please. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
TKoch2
Novice

Hi David.

Take a look. I'm in front of the computer right now, so i can test whatever you request.

Regards.

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello TKoch2, Thank you for your response. I was checking the video and information you have provided so far. I would like to try the following, please open the Radeon* settings and go to "display", disable the option called "Scale in", I believe in the screenshot it is shown as "GPU-Skailerung ein". Once disabled, restart the system and check to see if the issue persists. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
TKoch2
Novice

David,

My problem persists. It haven't changed anything....

Regards

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello TKoch2, Thank you for your response. I can see that the suggestion did not help. In this case what it seems to be is either a driver problem or an O.S corruption or error. However, it is important to first check and see if the error happens with different monitors so, if possible, please connect the system to a different monitor and see if the error persists. If so, please proceed with a graphics driver re-installation, follow the steps below: 1 – Download https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28599/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-64-bit-for-I... 2 – Download https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28600/Radeon-RX-Vega-M-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-64-b... 3 – Disconnect the system from the internet. 4 – Go to device manager and check the display adapters, uninstall both of them until you only have Microsoft’s basic display adapter. 5 – Restart the system and install the previously downloaded drives. NOTE: Make sure to install the Intel ® HD Graphics one before the Radeon*. 6 – Once the installation is complete, restart the system and reconnect to the internet. After you finish the re-installation, check to see if the issue persists. If the previous steps did not help, please, if possible, proceed with an O.S re-installation, making sure to back-up all of the important data first. You can create the bootable flash drive with the Microsoft Creation Tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 * Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel*. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel* for the merchants or services offered there. * I hope this helps. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
TKoch2
Novice

Hi David,

I've tried two times to reinstall the drivers in the order you've described, but no result. The only thing I still need to test is using another monitor. The third option you're giving me is kind of desparate action and I truly don't want to perform a clean OS installation. And from my understanding, it is not a way around to solve a display/graphic issue. I hope for your understanding. 

Today I've updated my BIOS to the latest version (HNKBLI70.86A.0054.2019.0214.1350), reset the bios as I always do to start from scratch with all my previous settings, and I've noticed that the "wake on USB from S5" is not working anymore. Only "wake on TV from S4/S5" is working.. I'm using a logitech keyboard K830, and it was working before. 

What have been changed in this revision? Could you please try this on your system?  

Regards,

TKoch2
Novice

Finally I found out that, the noise issue on my NUC, was induced by a specific type of fluorecent light... Yes tha't's it. I've just conected my desk lamp in another point and the problem was gone! I don't know how it can happen if the NUC is shielded as well as the cable and the TV! Maybe on the electric power line itself. I hope it can help others if they have a similar issue related to display.

So, this issue is solved, but the one with the BIOS, still remain...

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello TKoch2, Thank you for your response. First, I would like to say that I am glad to know the main issue has been addressed. Regarding the BIOS issue you are currently experiencing, I was checking the release notes of the BIOS update and nothing was changed related to those settings. I would recommend doing a BIOS recovery and, when done, resetting the BIOS back to defaults, after doing so, turning the setting back ON to see if the issue persists. Here are the steps on how to do a BIOS recovery: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html I would recommend following the steps via power button menu. Let me know the outcome please. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
TKoch2
Novice

Hi David. Sorry for my late answer. I will try the power button method because all other, fails. I will post the results ASAP.

Thanks

TKoch2
Novice

Sorry David. But now I'm really irritated with this unit! I've followed the procedure of recovery by power button 4 times, without success and before burning up my unit with unsucessful attempts, I give up! I get into the recovery menu and as I hit F4, the system boots 4 times! What is wrong with it? Adittionally, the question I'm asking to myself is: Everytime I update my BIOS, I will be obligated to do that procedure? I've tried 2 different USB sticks, one with 16Gb and another with 2GB. The first one makes my mouse freeze inside the BIOS an as soon I remove it, the mouse move again. What is the relation??? I'm finding issue after issue and I'm really desapointed about this NUC!

Regards.

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello TKoch2, Thank you for your response. I understand you are going through difficulties; and no, it should not be necessary to go through this process every time you update your BIOS. In this case, I would like to know what you mean with boot 4 times? Were you able to enter into the recovery option? If so, proceed with the recovery: 1 - Press F4 to start the BIOS recovery. 2 - Wait 2–5 minutes for the update to complete: 3 - The computer turns off when the recovery process is complete, or it prompts you to turn it off. This steps are the ones that are not working properly correct? When you press F4 you mentioned that the system just boots 4 times, do you mean it turns off and back on? Let me know with more details so I can try to help. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
TKoch2
Novice

Hello David,

I will give your more details by describing step by step. You've requested me to perform the power button procedure, what I truly

did, without success.

1) I've inserted the stick in the front USB port with the unit completely off (S5)

2) I've pressed the power button for 3sec and it boots into a menu to choose on option;

3) Obviously, I've chosen the recovery method by pressing F4;

4) After pressing it, my screen get black and after approximately 5sec, my system turns off completely;

5) 2 sec after it restarts, and reboots automatically, within 3 seconds;

6) Same as point 5.

7) The system restarts, going directly to the OS, without any prompt, NOTHING!

Ps.: I've formatted the USB stick in FAT, ExtFat, and NTFS, nothing worked...

The method I've used to recovery, was within the BIOS with the recovery mode. This works fine, however, my "wake on USB from S5", still remains the same.

Regards.