Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
誠阿久津
Beginner

NUC8i3BEH Activity HDD LED issue

HDD Activity LED of NUC8i3BEH is lights up in all time on while the unit is working.

I confirmed that the bios setting.

(BIOS is 0048)

[Advance] > [Power]

It value is "HDD Activity LED", and [Behavior] is "on".

I want that HDD Activity LED is blink when HDD(SSD) is accessing.

There is no problem in others.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
CMüll1
Beginner

Hello.

I have the same here. Indeed its a NUC8i5BEK, but I think its likely the same problem.

I tried several configurations from HDD Led and Ring Led (which 8.Generation dont have), but nothing works. HDD Led is on all the time.

I have an Crucial MX500 Sata SSD installed.

I hope somebody can help us.

arie1
Beginner

Hi, I'm having the same problem on nuc8i5bek with Crucial MX500 m2 sata SSD. No solution, even after latest BIOS update (28/11/18). Hope this will be picked up asap

CMüll1
Beginner

Didn't think so. I wrote to support last week and have no answer until now.

I will go to a local PC store today and let them check if the SSD or NUC is causing the problem. After reading your post I think it would be the Crucial SSD.

I will write again when I know more.

LeonWaksman
Super User

I don't have NUC8i3BEH so, I can't see the BIOS screen. Can you check if in Advanced>Device>Sata near HDD Activity LED you can see field labeled: M.2 PCIe SSD LED? If yes, please enable this function.

Leon

yfakl
Beginner

I tried several configurations from HDD Led and Ring Led (which 8.Generation dont have), but nothing works. HDD Led is on all the time.

I have an Crucial MX500 Sata SSD installed.

https://audacity.onl/ https://findmyiphone.onl/ https://origin.onl/

SChau10
New Contributor II

I just tried 3 different M.2 SSDs with my NUC8i7BEH running 0056 BIOS, and in each case the HDD LED blinks properly as expected:

* Samsung SM961 512GB NVMe PCIe SSD

* Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SATA SSD

* Micron M600 512GB SATA SSD

I don't have a Crucial MX500 SATA M.2 SSD to test with, but it is starting to look like the MX500 may not be driving the activity signal on the M.2 slot correctly...

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I would also point out that this isn't the first issue related to the MX500 drives...

Just saying,

...S

AlHill
Super User

I have one of these somewhere, on the shelf, where it should be.

Al

yfakl
Beginner

I don't have a Crucial MX500 SATA M.2 SSD to test with, but it is starting to look like the MX500 may not be driving the activity signal on the M.2 slot correctly...

CMüll1
Beginner

Hi.

Just got a call from my local PC store. It seems that it is a simple incompatibility between NUC and Mx500. With other SSDs it works fine. 🤔

And now I have a SSD that works, but not in my NUC. 😑

They install a Samsung SSD now.

PS: @ Intel Support: Thanks for nothing! Haven't heard anything since 2 weeks! I think I can close the case now.

Is this normal for Intel Support not to even answer?

raydabruce
Novice

CMull1: It seems the Intel reps are too busy migrating the old (better) site to this one. Anyway, I've seen LOTS of posts about trouble with M.2 drives (especially the NVMe ones) except for the Samsungs. All the Samsung drives appear to be compatible and cause no problems and this was also true for the NUC7s -- I had two of those. I've always used Samsung SSDs and have had zero problems with them. I've got 5 or 6 of them in various computers, both M.2 and 2.5", both SATA and PCIe (NVMe). I'm not surprised that Samsung outsells other brands, I think they have around 80% of the market because they're reliable, compatible and priced reasonably. It seems Microsoft is aware of this and that's one reason they cause little problem with later versions of Windows 10. With the NVMe drives, you need to install the Samsung NVMe driver to get the max speed from the drive. Windows 10 comes with a driver for these drives but it won't give you the speed that it's capable of. Install Samsung's driver.