Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor I

NUC8i3BEH - Sleep awakening problems, again.....

I really hate to be a nuisance....

Today i got my new replacement NUC. It’s brand new.

But the original malfunction i complained about still persists in my new NUC of the same model.

Intel support depot have been very kind to me to send me this new NUC but I'm still at square one. I really don’t know how to eliminate this issue.

My new NUC randomly won’t wake up from sleep ( as my original one did ).

I’ve canceled “fast boot” on win 10.

I’ve updated all drivers & bios.

I installed an Intel validated memory module ( kingston kvr24s17s8/8 )

If there’s anything else I should do, please tell me so.

I just wanna fix it.

At least if someone told me it's a known issue and that intel is working on a solution....

Thank you

0 Kudos
45 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

In BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS), click on Advanced and then Power. In the right-hand window, what setting are you using for parameter Sleep Type Supported? Actually, whichever it is, try the other setting...

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Thank you for your reply.

I tried what you've suggested & have found "modern standby" to be unstable. the PC tends to wake up from it's sleep with no clear reason.

Meanwhile I've disabled "USB selective suspend' but it's unclear for me now if it has resolved the problem or not.

If anyone has some other idea, It would be most appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

It seems to me like the issue mentioned above, is actually a bios bug.

I've tried many different setting in win 10, and non of them seems to work.

I've tried disabling "USB selective suspend' & have verified the V is checked in mouse driver- power management tab ( of the driver ).

I really think there some bug in all of these NUC's. I just wish someone would tell me so & say it's being taken care of.

I really think there's nothing else I can do in win 10 settings in order to fix the issue mentioned in my post.

If INTEL staff is reading this, please inform this issue to right staff in order to work some solution out in the future.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I met same questions, in my nuc8i5beh4, it works well originally, but, after i update the bios version of june 18 2019, the nuc random hangs after idle for some time

Highlighted
Novice

so I think there must be some bugs about the bios of NUC!

Highlighted
New Contributor I

I would hate to harass but I think someone should report this issue to the proper department in Intel.

I suspect the awakening issue derives from a faulty BIOS ( Version 0073 ).

It would be really appreciated.

Good day to everyone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I got a reply today:

First, you can try to update the BIOS again by using the following steps: 1. First download the BIOS file of NUC8i5BEH by the following link, the file name is BE0073.bio. Https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28951?product=126148 2. Copy BE0073.bio to the root directory of the U disk and insert it into the NUC. 3. Pull out the yellow jumper cap on the NUC board after power off. 4, connect the power, boot, wait for NUC to restore the BIOS version to 0073. 5. After the completion, press and hold the power button to turn off the power, and restore the jumper cap and turn it on. Second, change the BIOS settings to reinstall the system: 1. Boot and press F2 to enter the BIOS to make the following settings: Power > Secondary Power Settings > Sleep Type Support is set to Modern Standby. After rebooting, you need to press Y to continue and you need to install the system for testing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

I appreciate your input & good will.

But I've already updated my bios using the F7 key in BIOS options.

The current bios version is BE0073.

The intel driver assistant tells me I'm all up to date.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Not the same. This is the BIOS Recovery process, which does a more thorough job of applying all capsules​ in the .BIO file, regardless if they are newer or not.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello R.Kede,

Thank you for posting on the Intel Communities.

I would like to confirm that it is important to perform a BIOS recovery using the BIOS security jumper, which could help in the unlikely event that a BIOS update is interrupted, it's possible the BIOS might be left in an unusable state.

Also, I would advise you to double-check if the following options are set up as recommended:

3- Load defaults settings in the NUC's BIOS:

• Press F2 during boot to enter BIOS Setup.
  • Press F9 to set defaults.
  • Press F10 to save and exit BIOS.

2- If loading defaults BIOS does not help, check the power sleep states on the NUC.

Go to the BIOS and check the following settings:

a- Advanced > Devices > Onboard Devices > Auto Turn On TV> Select "From S3/S4/S5 Boot" 

TV turns on when Intel® NUC is powered on or resumes from S3/S4/S5 state.

b- Advance > Power > Secondary Power Settings (Right Section) > Deep S4/S5 > Select Disabled

Disable to allow to wake up from other methods besides the power button.

c- Advance > Power > Secondary Power Settings (Right Section) > USB S4/S5 Power > Enabled

Enable the USB Port power in S4/S5 state.

d- Advance > Power > Secondary Power Settings (Right Section) > Wake on USB from S5 > Enabled.

Enable Wake on USB from S5 state.

Best Regards,

Abigail G

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hi Abigail.

I appreciate your input & good will.

The truth is what you're saying here is a bit too complicated & risky for me to do.

I hate to doubt your advice, but are you sure this is really necessary?

Intel updates my bios once in every 2-3 weeks or so. I really can't apply what you advise me here on every bios update.

If you are sure that what you say here is necessary in order to correct the problem, please say so.

Respectfully - Personally I don't really see the difference between the two methods of bios update.

I've installed the latest bios version several times using the F7 key method.

Please reply again.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

hi all, in order to prevent the PC hangs for no reason, i write a script in python to run , it seems works, i faint....

import time from time import strftime, localtime   def fabonaci(n): if n == 1 or n == 0: return 1 return fabonaci(n-1)+fabonaci(n-2)     while True: time.sleep(30) res = fabonaci(40) fd = open('C:\\Data\\python\\writeharddisk.txt','w') fd.write('%d\r\n'%res) fd.write(strftime("%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S", localtime())) fd.close()

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello R.Kede,

Thank you for the response.

To avoid any effort, I would like to try to replicate the issue, in order to do so, please provide me the following information:

1. Open Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel by pressing the CtrlAlt, and F12 keys simultaneously. Or, right-click the Windows* Desktop, and then click Graphics Properties.
  2. Click Options and Support.
  3. Click Information Center.
  4. Click the Save option on the lower right-hand corner, then select a location to save the .txt file.
  5. Please attach the report on the following post.

Best Regards, 

Abigail G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hi. Hope the file is you've asked for.

Hope you won't give up on my issue.

regards.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello R.Kede,

Thank you for the response and the information posted.

I know that you have mentioned this issue happens randomly, but I would like to know how long it is necessary to have the NUC in sleep mode to replicate the issue?

Also, I might like to ask, what type of connection are you using from the NUC to the monitor? I was able to see that the input of the monitor is VGA, is this correct?

If possible please provide the information or online website for the specifications of the monitor.

Best Regards, 

Abigail G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

I use AOC monitor with HDMI connection.

The model of the monitor is 2270w.

https://eu.aoc.com/en/monitors/e2270swn/specs

the issue occurs mostly after more than 1 hour of sleep.

I really can't produce the issue purposely.

The bios version is 0073 ( latest ).

I'd really hate to make things worse but In addition to all the above, today I restarted my NUC pc and there was no display whatsoever.

I had no choice but to restart it again.

I have no explanation for it.

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello R.Kede,

Thank you very much for the response and the information provided.

Is the display working now? What steps have you taken to get the display back working? Was the power LED working?

I will try to replicate the issue and get back to you as soon as I can.

Best Regards, 

Abigail G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

The display is operating now.

My NUC'S monitor is powered on constantly, so I really don't know what went wrong.

I restarted my NUC again & the display returned as it should have.

I just did a BIOS update with the "Recovery" method as you've recommended on here ( I've used the "Power Button Option" ), but it's too early to say if it did the trick or not.

I'll have to wait for 2-3 days to answer that one.

I hope this thread will still be available by then, but i will answer it if possible.

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hello again. I'm giving here an update.

The issue mentioned in the header of this thread, happened again few minutes ago ( My NUC did not wake up from sleep ).

I had no choice but unplugging the power plug out of the outlet and plug it in again. only then could I restart my NUC.

It happened some 17 hours after I did a BIOS update done with the "Recovery" method ( "Power Button Recovery Option" ).

The issue in the header happened to me with both my original NUC I had bought and with my new replacement NUC which I have at this moment ( BIOS versions 69, 71 & 73 ).

In addition to the main issue- there's an issue of No Display on my monitor after "Restart". this happened to me twice in the past two days. Once it occurs I have no choice but restarting again ( and the display returns as it should ). my monitor is constantly powered "on" and is in tip top condition ( it's brand new )

All I ask is not to doubt my actions at home nor my findings.

I just hope that Intel staff will come up with some solution to both of these issues of this model ( NUC8i3BEH ).

Regards

0 Kudos