Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JHodg3
Beginner

NUC8i3BEH, can't change boot device to USB? only option I have is UEFI LAN PXE. How can I install windows?

I've tried a USB stick in every port, I've tried going into bios but there is no option to boot to USB. I've tried the power button 3 second trick, but that doesn't take me to a power button menu, it just boots to "no bootable device detected"

Any help please?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @JHodg3​ 

1. Probably you are trying to install Windows 10 with media you bought. Please follow exactly my instructions (using media created with Microsoft Media Creation Tool) and you will install Windows very easy.
  2. Please prepare your installation media (you need 8GB or greater USB stick), using Microsoft Media Creation Tool: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209
  3. Your bios should be set to default settings. Enter bios (press F2 during boot) and then press F9 (Y) to set defaults and F10 (Y) to save settings and exit.
  4. With the installation media inserted into slot, power ON your NUC and press F10 to get Boot Menu.
  5. In this menu, choose UEFI option of you Installation media.
  6. Follow this tutorial to continue with installation https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html
  7. In para. 7 you may enter Product Key from the Microsoft Distribution you bought.
  8. Skip on para. 12 and continue in para. 13. Important, do not format drive where you want to install Windows, rather delete all existing partitions from this drive, till you see one unallocated space.
  9. Press Next and continue with the installation.

Leon

MRoss5200
New Contributor III

Are you trying to install a Legacy version of Windows? BE NUC comes set to boot UEFI and Modern Standby and Secure Boot by default. If you are trying to boot into a Legacy installer for Windows 10 then you will need to disable each of these first.

1. Insert your Windows install USB drive. Power on the NUC, press F2 at the splash screen to enter Visual BIOS.
  2. Click the Advanced button, goto the Boot section.
  3. Select the Secure Boot tab, uncheck Secure Boot.
  4. Goto the POWER section.
  5. In the right pane, under SLEEP TYPE SUPPORT, change this to Legacy S3 Standby. Press F10 to Save & Exit.
  6. On reboot, a warning message will appear. If you do want to change to Legacy, select (Y). System will reboot.
  7. On Reboot, press F2 at the splash screen to enter Visual BIOS.
  8. Click the Advanced button, goto the Boot section.
  9. On the BOOT PRIORITY tab, check the Legacy Boot box to enable Legacy Boot.
  10. Press F10 to Save & Exit. On reboot, your Windows USB drive should boot as long as the HDD or SSD you have is blank. If not, at the splash scree, press F10 to enter the Boot Menu and select your Windows USB drive to boot to.

Make sure you do this before Windows has been installed or this may corrupt you OS.

Hope this helps.

Wanner_G_Intel

Hello JHodg3, If you have any further questions, please let us know. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation