Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC8i3BEK - screen goes off on its own

The PC in question is a brand new NUC8i3BEK.

The device absolutely ignores Windows 10 power options and turns off the screen (or the HDMI port resulting to screen off) after 20 minutes.

I have updated the BIOS to Ver 2.2.23 using Intel's own Driver and support assistant tool, with the same disappointing results.

Obviously there is something wrong.

Please advice me how to overcome that issue.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Employee

Hello Panosnk,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

In order for me to assist you in the best way, I will need to request an System Support Utility report, this report can be generated from our tool, you can refer to the link below so you can download it: 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Make sure to attach the created report to this thread.

Also, I could recommend trying a different HDMI cable and/or monitor if possible to see if the issue happens then.

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Dear David

I took the nuc home, connect it to my LG smart tv with a different hdmi cable as advised, only to find out that nothing changed. Even with different monitor and cable, the pc behaves the same.

The tv screen went black after 10 minutes of pc inactivity (not 15 minutes as I wrongly stated before), displaying: "check signal, no input connection".

The tv produces exactly the same message when I manually unplug the hdmi cable, therefore it seems that the pc shuts off the hdmi output after ten minutes of inactivity.

I've also had a YouTube videoclip playing, to find out if the screen stays on with moving image, but again it went off in ten mins.

However if I use the pc the screen stays on, so be aware that the problem occurs after ten minutes of no user interaction (keyboard or mouse).

I run the SSU utility and I attach the produced report.

Regards,

Panos

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello Panosnk,

Thank you for your response.

Let's try the following: 

**BIOS to defaults: 

1 - Go into the BIOS. (When the sytem is booting up you can press F2 to access it).

2 - Reset the BIOS settings to default, this can be done by pressing F9. 

**Graphics driver re-installation: 

1 Download the following driver and save it on the computer.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28601/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Intel-NU...

2 - Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update.

3 - Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Control Panel from Control Panel > Programs and Features.

4 - Restart the computer.

5 - Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4.

6 - If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager:

6.1.1 Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device'

6.1.2 In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked.

6.1.3 Click on 'Uninstall'.

6.1.4 Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter')

7 - Install the DCH driver that was downloaded on step 1.

8 - Restart the computer.

9 - Reconnect to the Internet.

**Power settings:

1 - Go to Windows Settings > "System" > "Power & Sleep". 

2 - Set both Sleep and Screen to "Never". 

After all these steps have been followed, please check to see if the screen still goes black.

Let me know please.

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you very much for your assistance David, problem finally solved.

0 Kudos