cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor I

NUC8i3CYSN is unable to use latest Radeon drivers with Windows 10 2004

Jump to solution

As soon as I install the latest Radeon drivers on my NUC8i3CYSN it downloads the older driver from Windows Update making the Radeon software unusable and sound anavailable.

No matter if I chose to reset Radeon settings or not.

So still using 1909.

Will I ever be able to move to 2004?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Looks like I have a kind of solution. At least I was able to reproduce it several times and everything looks fine.

Here is the step-by-step guide based on the Audit Mode of Windows 10 Pro 20H2 still being installed (CTRL+SHIFT+F3 during the first screen of the last stage of Windows setup). But I'm sure it should work fine over the running Windows of any edition for any version of any driver.

1. Connect to the Internet and run Windows Update
  2. As soon as it has downloaded and installed all its drivers just... roll back (Device Manager -> Driver's properties -> Driver tab -> Roll Back Driver button) the ones for
    - Pci Bus
    - AMD High Definition Audio Device
    - Radeon RX 540
    in the order as above. See attached screenshot.

NUC8i3CYSN.png

Do not restart your NUC after rolling back Pci Bus driver, otherwise you could meet nothing but black empty screen on the next boot.
  3. Install any Radeon driver version you want, it won't be downgraded any more.

Bingo!

But there is the price. You should keep ~0,5GB of unneeded data in DriverStore\FileRepository folder. In case you will remove those now useless drivers Windows Update will download and install them again. I haven't tried to remove them when the latest Radeon drivers/software installed though.

Hope this helps.

And in conclusion I would like to express my deepest THANK YOU to Intel for their invaluable support and unforgettable experience, to AMD for keeping their Windows Update drivers always up to date and last but not least to Microsoft for making the best ever user experience with Windows 10 - the best possible operating system in the whole world! Sarcasm. PLEASE RESPECT YOUR CUSTOMERS, you all three above! In case you want our money, of course.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

I concur. If I install the latest driver from AMD and reboot, Windows Update will start installing an older version of the AMD drivers and screw everything up.

I have 2004 installed, BTW.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hey, Intel, there is 20H2 already available. I still can't upgrade as WU makes my NUC unusable.

Are you going to sort it out?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi @kacharava 

1. I don't have NUC8i3CYSN, however I have NUC8i7INH with AMD Radeon 540X Graphics. On my NUC I successfully upgraded the AMD Driver to version 20.9.1 after performing clean installation. I run on this NUC Windows 20H2.

2. So if you want try this, download the  Adrenaline Driver 20.9.1 

3. Open Apps and Features and uninstalled the current driver. Reboot your NUC.

4. Try to install the previously downloaded driver. 

5. If you need on this page you may find all the previous version of this driver. 

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Rebooting my NUC at step 3 initiates WU immediately!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hm... where is the smile I've put after the exclamation mark?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

I had no issues,

1. I was able to install AMD driver package 20.10.1 on Windows 10 2004 without issue.
  2. I was then able to upgrade to Windows 10 20H2.
  3. I then had to reinstall 20.10.1. It seems that either the upgrade package or WU overinstalled what I already had in place. Once I rebooted and re-ran the AMD installer, I was good to go.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi @kacharava 

After step 2, disconnect the internet and reconnect it after step 4

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

The problem is that WU installs old AMD drivers over the new ones immediately as it has access to the internet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

@n_scott_pearson, for some unknown reason sometimes it stops downloading old drivers.

For example my working 1909 installation doesn't downgrade but the clean one restored from the .wim backup image doesn't allow to use the latest driver.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Looks like I have a kind of solution. At least I was able to reproduce it several times and everything looks fine.

Here is the step-by-step guide based on the Audit Mode of Windows 10 Pro 20H2 still being installed (CTRL+SHIFT+F3 during the first screen of the last stage of Windows setup). But I'm sure it should work fine over the running Windows of any edition for any version of any driver.

1. Connect to the Internet and run Windows Update
  2. As soon as it has downloaded and installed all its drivers just... roll back (Device Manager -> Driver's properties -> Driver tab -> Roll Back Driver button) the ones for
    - Pci Bus
    - AMD High Definition Audio Device
    - Radeon RX 540
    in the order as above. See attached screenshot.

NUC8i3CYSN.png

Do not restart your NUC after rolling back Pci Bus driver, otherwise you could meet nothing but black empty screen on the next boot.
  3. Install any Radeon driver version you want, it won't be downgraded any more.

Bingo!

But there is the price. You should keep ~0,5GB of unneeded data in DriverStore\FileRepository folder. In case you will remove those now useless drivers Windows Update will download and install them again. I haven't tried to remove them when the latest Radeon drivers/software installed though.

Hope this helps.

And in conclusion I would like to express my deepest THANK YOU to Intel for their invaluable support and unforgettable experience, to AMD for keeping their Windows Update drivers always up to date and last but not least to Microsoft for making the best ever user experience with Windows 10 - the best possible operating system in the whole world! Sarcasm. PLEASE RESPECT YOUR CUSTOMERS, you all three above! In case you want our money, of course.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos