cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MDixo2
Beginner

NUC8i5 HDR & Surround Sound problems

Hi all,

Just pondering if anyone can help me with my setup as I'm unable to get HDR or surround sound working properly.

​My NUC8i5 is fully up to date windows 10 pro, all drivers etc as up to date as possible.

My NUC is connected via HDMI directly to a Samsung 65Q9FN 4K HDR TV that supports 10-Bit & 120hz. (HDMI UHD Colour is enabled)

No matter what I do, the most I can get out of the NUC is 8Bit colour, and with HDR enabled its 8Bit with Dithering.

How can I enable 10bit?

In regards to surround sound I've tried 3 different methods, all fail.

Method 1: NUC to TV via HDMI that is connected to Sony HT-ZF9 (with surrounds) via HDMI ARC.

This should provide surround like it does every other device I have connected this way, but not on the NUC.

Method 2: NUC direct to Sony HT-ZF9 via HDMI.

Results same as above, no surround sound option but it does pick up different audio codecs.

Method 3: External USB 7.1 sound card, connected via Optical to Sony HT-ZF9.

Now this way also shows the other codecs but does not give options for surround sound. Just stereo. Furthermore sound is clearly been passed to the USB sound card, but I get no output on the soundbar at all.

I really need method 1 to work ideally, as this way i can get 2K@120hz when using cloud gaming (Shadow), then switch to 4K w/HDR & Surround sound when watching movies.

The soundbar is limited to 60hz, but supports up to 4:4:4 chroma.

Any help would be much appreciated as I'm banging my head trying to figure out how to get both HDR & Surround sound out of this NUC.

Thank you

0 Kudos
38 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello MDixo2, Thank you for posting on this Community. 1. Through HDMI* 2.0a, you unit supports High Dynamic Range (HDR) and 10-bit sampling. Have you tried using other HDMI* cables? 2. To set up surround sound, we recommend following these steps below: Configure Surround Sound Guide: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/Configure-Surround-Sound.pdf 3. Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the report to this thread to gather more information. 1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91... 2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View. 3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
MDixo2
Beginner

1: Yes aware of this & have tried x3 HDMI cables, all supporting the bandwith required. All work absoluitly fine with other devices w/4K HDR, Surround sound.

2: Sorry, this terrible. Looks outdated and relates to a device that has a built in TOSLINK, remind me where this is located on a NUC8 please. That said, out of curiosity I followed the guide & have had no success.

As I have stated I have purchased an external USB soundcard to try enable surround but with no success.

I can get STEREO sound via HDMI (remember the TV is connected to be sound system via HDMI ARC, but that I have also attempted 2 other workarounds as noted in the OP)

3: Please see attached file

I do like the NUC, but not been able to properly output HDR plus been limited to STEREO audio is not ideal at all. Much better off with an NVIDIA Shield, and far cheaper.

I look forward to your response on points 1, 2 & 3

Kind regards

Wanner_G_Intel

Hello MDixo2, Thank you for your response and attaching the report requested. To address these issues, we would like to check the minimum configuration first. 1. We were reviewing the report attached and we noticed that you are running BIOS firmware version 0066. Was it updated through the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) tool or manually installed? 2. Are the Sound Bar and TV running the latest firmware update available? Sound Bar: Firmware Update version 2.016 for HT-ZF9 https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/home-theater-sound-bars-home-theater-systems/ht-zf9#downl... Samsung 65Q9FN 4K HDR TV https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2018-qled-tv-q9fn-series Note: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there. Please verify the product brand and model if installing a firmware update is needed. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
MDixo2
Beginner

I used the Intel Driver software to keep all up to date, the last time I updated a BIOS manually it didn't end well.

Regarding the Sony soundbar & Samsung TV, yes both are as up to date as possible.

Kind regards

Wanner_G_Intel

Hello MDixo2, Thank you for your response. We will do research about these issues on this unit and get back to you soon. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
MDixo2
Beginner

I anticipate your response

kind regards

Wanner_G_Intel

Hello MDixo2, We are still working on these issues reported. BIOS 0066 was removed from the Download Center. For this reason, could you please manually update the BIOS to Express BIOS update [BECFL357.86A.0051.EB.msi]? https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28362?product=126148 Please let us know if you encounter any problems. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
MDixo2
Beginner

Hi,

Ok I will update the BIOS manually, though I will note that I had this issue prior to updating the BIOS, 0066 made no difference.

Kind regards

Wanner_G_Intel

Hello MDixo2, As soon as you have any update about this procedure, please let us know. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello MDixo2, Were you able to manually update the BIOS firmware? Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
MDixo2
Beginner

Hi,

No I didn't downgrade the BIOS, though after coming back too the device I notice there is a new BIOS update.

Wou you advise upgrading to that from BIOS 66?

Still have no surround sound, still HDR is 8bit w/dithering ​

MDixo2
Beginner

​Hi,

I have not been able to do this as of yet as have been away until yesterday, not had the chance to sit down with it.

I also wary of updating/downgrading the BIOS as the last time I did this on a laptop, it did not end well.

Will this change make any difference to my issues with Surround sound and HDR, as the previous BIOS didn't work either.​

Wanner_G_Intel

Hello MDixo2, We would like to know if the BIOS update issues are being caused by the BIOS version or the unit. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello MDixo2, Were you able to update the BIOS firmware as recommended? Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello MDixo2, First, we would like to let you know that Intel only removed BIOS 0064 & 0066 for a SSD password issue so there is no need to downgrade. Intel will also release a new BIOS soon. In case you still need any assistance on the problems reported on this thread, please review the following information: 1. Surround Sound/Soundbar -Are you able to test other external speakers to the TV to see if the issue is the the SONY* Soundbar? -Does the same issue occur when plugging the Soundbar in a non-ARC HDMI port? Here it is worth mentioning that the NUC does support ARC HDMI so we do not expect any issues, but wanted to see if there was a difference. 2. HDR -HDR is supported via HDMI if using an HDMI 2.0a cable and maximum resolution of 4K@60. Have you tested different frequency rates, such as 60 Hz? -Depending upon the application/content, the NUC may required that the HDMI cable is HDCP 2.2 compliant. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello MDixo2, Were you able to test the recommendations provided? Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello MDixo2, If you need any further assistance, please contact us back. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello MDixo2, To continue troubleshooting the problems reported on this thread, we would like to know if you have reviewed the recommendations provided on previous posts. Having this information will allow us determine how to approach these problems. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
MDixo2
Beginner

Hi,

I have updated to the latest BIOS with no issues.

The Sony soundbar has no issues connected to other devices, whether that is via direct HDMI or Optical or via HDMI ARC.

Only issue is with the NUC. Only outputting stereo sound, NUC only gives the option for Stereo.

Regards HDR, I've tried various refresh rates but nothing ever goes above 8bit with dithering, I'm unable to display 10bit 4K HDR.

I​ have no problems displaying any other resolution or refresh rate, just the HDR is not correct.

My HDMIs & various devices are fully compliant with the latest standards.

Wanner_G_Intel

Hello MDixo2, Thank you for providing this useful information. We will investigate these problems further and get back to you as soon as possible. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation