Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12528 Discussions

NUC8i5 not booting after 47 version of bios update

Muthu1
Employee

recently i updated my NUC with latest bios. after couple of boots it stopped booting and no blinking of power LED. not able to recover using recovery flow also. any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
23 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. The Power LED is not ON, did you checked the Power Supply voltage? Did you tried to connect other Power Supply (from your laptop maybe?). 

2. Is the Standby LED illuminated (item "P", page 4 in the Technical Product Specification)?

Leon

MRoss5200
Valued Contributor I

As Leon said, is the system getting power from the power supply? Open the NUC and see if the green standby LED is on. If not, then the NUC is dead, or the power brick is.

Remove the coin battery from the board inside and let the system board drain power for a few minutes. Plug the battery back in and see if anything changes.

Muthu1
Employee

i do see Standby light is coming. the power adapter output is 19.2V. coin battery i have removed and tried. Also removed the yellow jumper and tried BIOS recovery. I dont see any life in all these experiments  other than the standby light glowing. 

Muthu1
Employee

where can i get the previous version of bios ?

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Actually, before you try downgrading, I suggest that you try installing the latest BIOS again, but this time using the BIOS Recovery Process (documented here: Intel NUC BIOS Update and Recovery Instructions).

If that can be accomplished but doesn't help, then look at downgrade. If process can't complete, there is no point trying to downgrade. 

...S

Muthu1
Employee
I have tried this procedure with all usb ports but it is not getting detected. In some place it says you need .bio file but release has only .cap file. Not sure if this the reason for not detection. I think I need to find a way to flash the spi device directly.
n_scott_pearson

@Muthu1

What NUC do you actually have? Leon guessed BE but I believe he may be wrong.

...S

Muthu1
Employee
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. Right, my assumption was wrong. Since you have NUC8i5INHJA1, you should follow the instruction for BIOS Update and Recovery Instructions for Intel® NUCs with the Aptio® V UEFI Firmware Core. On this page, follow the BIOS Recovery by Security Jumper for Intel® NUC8ixINH part.  After downloading the INWHL357.0047.RECOVERY.zip, pay attention to the Note in para 2 of instruction, explaining the structure of directory where the INWHL357.CAP file should be stored. 

2. I suggest that with the Power Adapter disconnected you disconnect the CMOS battery connector (item "G", page 40 in the Technical Product Specification) and reconnect it after 15 minutes. For Security Jumper location, see page 44 in TPS.

Leon

Muthu1
Employee

religiously tried this experiment. Proper USB plugged in + jumper removed. waited for like 20 mins. No activity i see in the standby LED or Power button LED's or Screen. Standby LED continue to glow. rest all was not showing any signs of life. tried with all 3 ports.

1. does this needs CPU reset ? how do i know if reset completed ? and bios recovery started. Does it shows anything in screen ?

2.  Can i get some serial log through some ports ? i can connect flying leads.

3. can something be probed to understand the status of the machine ? 

4. if i want to flash the bios directly to the Winbond chip ? how to extract rom / bin file from this CAP file ?

LeonWaksman
Super User

Sorry for this. Your NUC is bricked probably and can't start any more.

If you disconnected the CMOS battery for few minutes with the power cable disconnected, the board is reset. If the recovery starts you should see video output (like this on the attached image from other NUC) and in addition, the Power Button LED should blink during recovery/update.

Leon

Muthu1
Employee
How can I get bin file to flash it in winbond device?
n_scott_pearson

You can't. Raw BIN files are never released by Intel. This is a hard-and-fast security rule.

Actually, the BIN file would not help you anyway. You need a special factory tool, which is never released, in order to 'brand' the BIOS.

Sorry,

...S

Muthu1
Employee

Do i get any authorized service center support for these devices which are just out of warranty ? last october - 2022 the warranty expired.

i got a bios push and i got mislead that it is going to help with some fixes - which screwed it. May be you should stop the update for others to save their devices.

Especially i was looking for this fix -  RTC setting was not working, every time i boot i see a stale time. even with right CMOS battery. either RTC is not there in Hardware / it is not working in the HW. 

is there any other option to bring back life into this device - I am fine if it is with some minimal charges - all i need is flashing of 46 bios. 

n_scott_pearson

I got the same BIOS push and it updated my NUC8i7INH without incident.

You additional comment is interesting. AFAIK, there is no RTC issue in the BIOS nor in the hardware - but, it might appear this way if your CMOS backup battery is depleted. I suggest that you try replacing the CMOS battery and see whether this addresses this symptom - and brings it back to life.

Hope this helps,

...S

Muthu1
Employee

I did suspect CMOS battery first and changed it few weeks back - it did not helped. the removed battery was measuring 3.2V and the new battery measured 3.5V. My home multimeter has some minor errors (< +0.5V error). Then RTC issue was also there in my hardware. 

After bios update it did booted for me couple of times but then my guess is i was running a stress application which would have created a power thermal issue and took the system to a non recoverable condition. This same application  was running fine with the previous version of BIOS. So i suspect the bios version.

n_scott_pearson

There are reverse polarity battery packs around (thanks to Dell). Consequently, please verify that the replacement battery pack has the same polarity.

...S  

Muthu1
Employee

i made the battery pack myself. so polarity was right. 

Jean_Intel

Hello Muthu1,

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your Intel Nuc.

If I may jump into the conversation, I would add that you have completed the troubleshooting for this issue. Thanks for the support provided by @n_scott_pearson and @LeonWaksman, and it may indicate that your unit can be faulty.

As you mentioned that the product's warranty expired on October 2022, we would assume that you make check this information on our warranty website. I would recommend you check if you have your Purchase invoice and if so, contact us directly to check if there is any possibility that we can process an RMA exception for your unit. . Here are pages where you can look up contact information, including local/country phone numbers, by geography:

U.S. and Canada: Intel Customer Support

Europe, Middle East, and Africa: Intel Customer Support EMEA 

Asia-Pacific: Intel Customer Support APAC 

Latin America: Intel Customer Support LAR  

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

Jean_Intel

Hello Muthu1,

I hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician