Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12539 Discussions

NUC8i5BEH Bluetooth aptX HD Hi-Res Audio Streaming

High-Fi-NUC-ity
Beginner

Hello,

I have an Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i5BEH.

According to the technical data sheet, this has an onboard Bluetooth 5.0 chip (Intel® Wireless-AC 9560 + Bluetooth 5.0).

I would like to stream Hi-Res audio from the NUC to an aptX-HD capable amplifier via Bluetooth.

My operating system is Windows 10 21H2, which according to Microsoft TechNet is aptX compatible.

My question:
Is the Bluetooth chipset compatible for using Hi-Res Audio Streaming via aptX HD or do I need an expansion card via the M2 slot? If yes, which?

Side note: According to Amazon Music Unlimited, Ultra HD songs are in 24bit/192KHz and my NUC only supports 24bit/44.1KHz, so the FLAC codec is turned down to that latter.

Screenshot 2022-12-19 124434.png

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Steven_Intel

Hello High-Fi-NUC-ity,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

I am going to research about your concern. As soon as I have an update, I will let you know.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

High-Fi-NUC-ity
Beginner

Hi Steven,

thank you. Would you be so kind to even check the same situation with an Intel NUC10i5FNH on Windows 11 Pro 22H2?

Steven_Intel

Hello High-Fi-NUC-ity,

Many thanks for your patience on this matter.

After researching about this, our Bluetooth supports aptx-HD, however such codec is managed natively by Windows starting from Windows 10. 

In addition, some OEMs have their own specific codecs to be used on their hardware and installed at first use.

Please let me know if you have any further concerns.

Best regards,

Steven G.

High-Fi-NUC-ity
Beginner

Hello Steven,

Thank you for the information.

I can now confirm this for Windows 10 and Windows 11 on both NUCs. However, it takes some research to get Windows to use aptX. While Windows 10 still had SBC as standard, Windows 11 has AAC.

Only by using an external driver package was it possible to get Windows to use aptX:
https://www.dell.com/support/home/de-de/drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=90WTD&fileId=3506730032

However, Windows has never used aptX HD, although all devices are compatible. The Bluetooth Tweaker tool is very helpful for this.

Currently it shows:
[CODEC#1 supported by device]
CODEC Type: aptX-HD, Sampling Frequency: [16]/[32]/44.1/48kHz, Channel Mode: Stereo/[Mono]

[CODEC#2 supported by device]
CODEC Type: aptX, Sampling Frequency: [16]/[32]/44.1/48kHz, Channel Mode: Stereo/[Mono]

[CODEC#3 supported by device]
CODEC Type: MPEG-2, 4 AAC, Object Type: MPEG-2 AAC LC/MPEG-4 AAC LC/[MPEG-4 AAC LTP]/[MPEG-4 AAC scalable], Sampling Frequency: 8/11.025/12/ 16/22.05/24/32/44.1/48/[64]/[88.2]/[96]kHz, channels: 1/2, VBR: supported, bit rate: 320,000

[CODEC#4 supported by device]
CODEC Type: SBC, Sampling Frequency: 16/32/44.1/48kHz, Channel Mode: Mono/Dual Channel/Stereo/Joint Stereo, Block Length: 4/8/12/16, Subbands: 4/8, Allocation Method: SNR /Loudness, Min/Max Bitpool: 2/53

[CODEC selected by Windows]
CODEC Type: aptX, Sampling Frequency: 48kHz, Channel Mode: Stereo

Steven_Intel

Many thanks for your response.

Your information is correct, Windows 10 seems to support aptX by default, but not sure about aptX-HD. For this, we recommend contacting Microsoft support for further information.

Please let me know if you have any concerns or need more assistance.

Best regards,

Steven G.

High-Fi-NUC-ity
Beginner

Hi Steven, I have contacted Microsoft Support.

Windows 11 natively only supports SBC and AAC as codec, see:
https://learn.microsoft.com/de-de/windows-hardware/drivers/bluetooth/general-bluetooth-support-in-wi...

However, I was promised that Microsoft's software engineers are working on providing a fix for this in the short term so that at least Windows 11 supports aptX-HD. According to my contact in support, the requests seem to be increasing.

There is currently no other driver available.

Let's wait ...

Steven_Intel

Many thanks for the information provided.

I am glad you were able to contact Microsoft support and gather important information about this. Thank you for taking the time to share it here.

As for now, please let me know if you have any concerns on our side, and I will be glad to assist you further.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Steven_Intel

Since we have not heard back from you, we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Steven G.