Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ALeon14
Beginner

NUC8i5BEH: Bug for HHD led on front panel?

I bought a brand new NU8i5BEH and installed a SSD M2 module. Unfortunately the led on the front panel remains fix instead blinking when the memory works. I tried with a sata SSD hard disk and it works fine. 

0 Kudos
11 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Have you checked the configuration of the SSD in BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS)???

ALeon14
Beginner

I checked now, it seems ok. I attach two images to show you my settings in BIOS. With these settings the led on the front panel doesn't blink, just remains fixed. 😥 Many thanks for suggestionsscreen bios 2.jpgscreen bios 1.jpg

ALeon14
Beginner

Any idea?

n_scott_pearson

What version of the BIOS do you have installed? You should have BIOS 56 (BECFL357.86A.0056.2018.1128.1717).

Your SATA scene looks different than mine. I have an additional parameter for enabling that the LED (also) show M.2 SSD Activity.

...S

ALeon14
Beginner

I'm pretty sure to have the last one available on download center for NUCI5BEH (the model I have, of course).

This is the link https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28394/BIOS-Update-BECFL357-86A-?product=126148

Once I'll be at home I will download once more and will update again.

Could you please in the meantime verify if the above link is the same you have?

Thanks!

p.s. I want to solve this stupid issue, 😉

n_scott_pearson

Yep, that's the right link.

ALeon14
Beginner

Hi. I checked and I already have the last bios. In fact the system now says that I can't update. I tried to reset to default settings but the "m2 hdd led" setting doesn 't appear. I am also contacting the Intel support team because it is strange that you have different settings options in the sata device screen of the Visual bios. Could you please be so kind to post a screenshot of your settings? Do you have the same product (NUC8I5BEH)?

ALeon14
Beginner

Thanks Scott, I viewed the images you sent me. in the first one I see you have a setting "m2 PCIe hdd led" that I don't have. In the meantime the Intel support team informed me to ask the supplier to give the product back and ask for a replacement. Probably they know that there is a problem with some boards... I don't know.

I really would like to thank you for your kind help, you were super kind and hope to meet you again in this forum.

Many thanks from Italy

Alberto

n_scott_pearson

I have a NUC8i7BEH, but it uses the same BIOS that your NUC8i5BEH uses. Here are some captures that I took showing the parameters related to M.2 SSD and the HDD LED:

Here is the SATA Configuration scene. Note the additional parameter that is showing at the bottom. Why does mine show this parameter and your doesn't? It is because (and I didn't catch this when I originally looked at your capture) you have a M.2 SATA SSD whereas I have a M.2 NVMe SSD.

SATA.BMP

Here is the PCI Configuration scene. Note the M.2 Slot is enabled and that the M.2 NVMe SSD is utilizing the full x4 PCIe lanes.

PCIE.BMP

Here is the Secondary Power Settings scene, scrolled down to show the parameters related to the HDD LED. Note it is configured to show HDD Activity.

SECPOWER.BMP

When I spotted that you had a M.2 SATA SSD and that it was a Crucial MX500, I remembered there being a report regarding the same issue. The conclusion in that case was a compatibility issue between the NUC and the MX500 SSD: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490PDTSA2/nuc8i3beh-activity-hdd-led-issue. My conclusion, on the other hand, is that since this issue has been reported against *only* this particular drive, it is most likely an issue in this drive's design.

Sorry,

...S

ALeon14
Beginner

That's really interesting because it means that I could try to substitute the m2 module before to give back the NUC, in order to test this compatibility issue.

Thanks Scott!!! I will keep you updated about the end of the story!

Really appreciating your help!

Alberto

n_scott_pearson

I would recommend that you look into a M.2 NVMe SSD (rather than another M.2 SATA SSD). They don't cost all that much more and even the worst NVMe drive outperforms the best SATA drive.

...S