Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SVARG2
Beginner

NUC8i5BEH CPU overheating with turbo boost enabled

the NUC8i5BEH has i5 8259u processor. whenever 4k video is played or plex media server is transcoding the CPU temperature goes above 90deg and has touched 100 at one point with fan at top speed making lot of noise.

this is a brand new box only 2 weeks old.

when I disable turbo boost in the BIOS or in the power plan (Max CPU 99%) the problem goes away with temp not rising beyond 65 deg.. in the same situation.

I have also run intel diagnostic software for CPU which shows passed.

My question is since this box is built by INTEL, why is this happening??

Bad design in my opinion. Of what use is the turbo boost if we can't practically use it?

shaju

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee

Hello SVARG2, Thank you for posting on the Intel® Communities. Are you running the defualt BIOS configuration(apart from enabling/disabling the Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)? Since the Intel® Processor Diagnostic report was passed that is indicating that the system is acting as expected. Even when the processor reaches 100°C is still working as expected since that is under the specification. You can always check with your place of purchase to check for a replacement. https://ark.intel.com/products/135935/Intel-Core-i5-8259U-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3-80-GHz- Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
SVARG2
Beginner

Thanks Amy,

I am running default CFG with Turboboost disabled thru BIOS.

I needed to know whether running 4k video with software rendering causes so much overheating for everyone? 92-100deg

It becomes 50-60deg when I stop playing the video, the fan noise also stops.

shaju

Amy_C_Intel1
Employee

Not from my end, maybe other peers can add more information about your question. Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation