Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NUC8i5BEH : Latest BIOS update messed up my Admin password

I recently updated my BIOS to the latest version at the link below using the Intel DSA program.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28569/BIOS-Update-BECFL357-86A-?product=126148

The BIOS update went without a hitch and the system rebooted.

However at the Admin password prompt screen, my password no longer works. Entering my password results in repeated Admin pw prompt for 3 times and User Password (which I haven't set at all) prompt for 3 times until the system locks my storage with message "TCG storage locked etc...."

Now I can't even take my M.2 SSD to another system for reformatting as the storage is locked and it appears as unrecognized/uninitialized disk in Linux or Windows.

Additional info:

This isn't the first time I updated the BIOS using Intel DSA. I've done it two times before with Admin password set without issues.

Trying to clear the Admin password result in BIOS prompting the my existing password is incorrect.

If there is no fix, I'm planning to RMA to drive back to Intel.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @VSriD​ 

You will be able to clear BIOS user and supervisor password from Configuration Menu. Follow the following procedure:

1. Disconnect the power adapter and remove the bottom cover from your NUC.
  2. Remove the yellow security jumper (see Product Technical Spec, para. 2.3, page 41: ) and close the bottom cover. https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/nuc-kits/NUC8i3BE_NUC8i5BE_NUC8i7...
  3. Reconnect the power adapter and power ON the NUC. Wait 30 sec - 2min. You should see the Configuration Menu .
  4. Press {2] to clear the passwords.
  5. Switch the power OFF, remove the power adapter and replace the Security Jumper to Normal position (1-2).

Leon

​Tks but I have tried this. The pw prompt remains as show in picture. The clear method above seems to be for BIOS user/supervisor pw.

However it doesn't clear storage 'Admin' pw.

pw.jpg

LeonWaksman
Super User

Since this is password for your SSD, I agree that can not be reset. Since, the Bios update, corrupted this password, I believe that you need RMA this SSD.

Leon

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello VSriD, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. If you have not tried doing so, remove all non-essential input devices, remove all drives and leave only 1 stick of RAM and attempt a BIOS Recovery. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html Then try again moving the BIOS Jumper to access the Configuration Mode to clear the passwords. If that doesn't work, you may want to try to clear the CMOS by unplugging the battery from the board for 2 minutes - although Intel does not recommend doing this. You may want to contact the developer of the encryption since blocking access to the BIOS should not lock the SSD unless you have encryption enabled. It appears to be TCG which you can check in the link below: https://trustedcomputinggroup.org/work-groups/storage/ * Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel*. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel* for the merchants or services offered there. * Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation

Thank you, I have checked out the TCG encryption and unfortunately this drive doesn't even support PSID reverting which should reset the SSD to factory condition. On top of that, the drive doesn't even have a PSID instead it has a DUID which is also a 32 character string. But there's not much info on this.

Since the problem happened after the BIOS update using Intel DSA, I have put in a RMA request for the drive.

For closing the loop on this topic, I would like provide some update. While working with Support regarding the drive's RMA, I managed to solve the problem by downgrading from BIOS version 0066 back to version 0051 using the Recovery method (removing yellow security jumper, place the 0051 .bio file in a FAT 32 formatted thumb drive and booting the system). The existing SSD password was recognized after that.

If anyone's wants to update the BIOS to version 0064 or 0066, I recommended disabling the drive's password (wipes the data though so pls take note). There's seems to be an issue with the latest versions OR just stick with 0051 for time being.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Thank you for informing us.

Leon