cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LNava8
Beginner

NUC8i5BEH constant BSOD...

Hi there,

I have been dealing for a couple months now with BSODs on the NUC8i5BEH that make it practically unusable.

I ran the intel system scan utility and I'm attaching the information here. I am using an ssd drive and memory that is listed as compatible with this NUC on the intel website. I also believe the bios and drivers are up to date.

Typically, the crashes start to happen one or two days after a fresh install. The crashes happen sometimes while downloading files but mostly happen when using the web browser (any browser, firefox, chrome or edge). Typically I would see the 'Aw snap' page on chrome and minutes later, the BSOD will show up. The stop codes I've seen on the BSOD are sometimes 'memory management', sometimes 'cache management' and others which I don't recall right now.

I even sent the unit back to the seller (simplenuc) and they ran it through a series of tests but they sent it back saying that nothing appears to be wrong with the hardware.

I also ran myself the memtest86 (all tests) and it didn't report any error. A few days ago I also ran the chkdsk utility from microsoft but no problems were reported either.

Any idea how to proceed ? Initially I thought the problem was the ssd. I was using before the Samsung 970 Evo M.2. I switched to the Crucial MX500 SATA 2.5 but I'm still seeing the exact same problems.

Thks

Luis

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello LNava8

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community.

·        Have you tried a different operating system (OS) image?

·        Have you tried testing the system with one ram at the time? Or using a different RAM?

·        If you have made any BIOS changes, have you tried undoing the changes or lading default BIOS settings?

·        Do you have any BSOD beside when you are not web browsing or downloading files? If so please specify.

Regards,

Leonardo C.                        

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

LNava8
Beginner

Hi Leonardo,

Answers to your questions:

1) Yes, I tried Ubuntu 18.04 a little while ago and I had similar problems. The machine would crash too.

2) Yes, I tried with single ram sitting on different slots. Same problem.

3) No BIOS changes.

4) Sometimes the crash also happens after I leave the PC inactive for a while. I suppose it goes into standby. When I start using it again and it wakes up, it's guaranteed that it will crash within 5-10 minutes.

Thanks,

Luis

Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello LNava8

Thank you for the details, I would like to confirm if you have tested a different set of RAM to rule out a possible RAM issue with the current RAM DIMM if after this testing you still have the same behavior we recommend contacting your local support for warranty options.

Reference link for support:

https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/support/contact-support.html?_ga=2.22621499.1281437621.156294...

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

PeterNUC
New Contributor I

I had a very similar case with random BSODs (on another NUC) caused by an improper automatic update of WiFi driver. After I turned WiFi off in Windows, BSODs were gone. You could try disabling WiFi for a while just to check.

Best, Peter

LNava8
Beginner

Hi Peter and Leonardo,

Thanks for your suggestions.

Actually, I ended up switching the RAM and the problem went away.

The memory module I was using was CMSX16GX4M2A2400C16 and is shown as compatible on the Intel website (http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails/ExportPeripheralInfo?moduleName=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC...). I switched to use a Crucial memory.

Actually, looking in detailed at the description of CMSX16GX4M2A2400C16, it indicates that it is compatible with 6th and 7th generation of Intel chips, but it doesn't mention version 8th.

Maybe this memory module isn't really compatible with this NUC ? Can you folks at Intel double-check this to make sure others don't go through the same pain ? It has costed me an extra couple hundred dollars as I ended up buying two M.2 modules and two sets of 16GB memory trying to get this unit working...

Luis

Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello LNava8

Thank you for the feedback, I am glad to hear that the system is working properly.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

A Contingent Worker at Intel