Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12538 Discussions

NUC8i5BEH fails to update BIOS (from 0078 to 0079)

Trial-Member
New Contributor III

IDSA has offered two updates:

1. update of the graphics driver

2. update the BIOS (from 0078 to 0079)

The installation of the graphics driver failed, the step-by-step troubleshooting wizard was unsuccessful (but I somehow expected that, since I already had the latest version of IDSA).

Here I found a post that at least solves the problem with the graphics driver (thanks to @Al.Hill​  for the link to the latest driver).

So that leaves the BIOS.

I proceeded as usual, started the .bio file and the update with F7, selected the file. After restarting, the Intel logo appeared twice, then Windows was restarted without updating the BIOS.

Does anyone have an idea about this?

0 Kudos
40 Replies
JNiel20
Novice

Remove tick for secure boot in bios, use the msi or other installer and update. This works for my 8i3BEH. Then turn secure boot back on in bios after update...

Regards John

PDeac1
New Contributor I

Thank you so much John! I did what you said and managed to flash the BIOS. Everything works perfectly. I noticed when I first entered the BIOS settings my screen was showing some corruption, flashing green lines, then it would go off for a second or two - this was before I did anything. Whether this was a result of a few attempts to update the usual way I don't know. Once the BIOS had been flashed and I booted back in to switch secure boot back on the visual BIOS display was perfect. Interesting.

BALAI
Novice

Hi,

Sorry for my poor english.

By the way, it works for my NUC8i5BEK

Some problems to boot Windows 10 with BitLocker, when secure boot was disabled (key was needed).

And msi installer does not work for me. I update my computer with a USB Key under UEFI.

Thank you very much !

PA-NUC-User
Novice

You've identified the problem - Intel apparently posted an improperly signed update. Rather than disable Secure Boot (which does serve an important purpose), wait for the properly signed update or the PKI fix.

Trial-Member
New Contributor III

Hi @JNiel20​,

Thanks for sharing this!

For me it means its better to wait until Intel has fixed it.

Would be no problem to deactivate this before updating, but I think Intel should do the work to fix this, espacially since they are offering the update via IDSA to all customers.

@AlbertR_Intel​:

FYI

Maybe JNiel20´s woraround helps to identify whats wrong with the update?

JRayn3
New Contributor II

Thanks for the work round but to be honest I personally do not want to be bothered with delving into the BIOS especially when using the Express method.

PavelPr
New Contributor I

The same thing happens with my NUC8i7BEH.

JMeda
Beginner

I could upgrade my NUC8i5BEH to 0079.

When SecureBoot is turned on & Legacy boot turned off. I have experienced the same issue, the BIOS doesn't get upgraded to 0079 from 0078.

Just make sure the below

1. Turn off secure boot
  2. Turn on Legacy boot
  3. Plug a Flash drive with 0079 BIOS file
  4. Press F7 while restarting to update BIOS
  5. After successful upgrade, Disable Legacy boot
  6. Restart.

Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi everyone,

I apologize for the hassle this has caused, we were able to replicate this behavior only when the Secure Boot option is turned on, the system initiates the update process but it cannot be completed.

BIOS version 0079 is being removed from the Download Center and will be soon replaced with a newer version.

While we believe BIOS update to version 79 can be executed with “Secure Boot” option set to disabled in most systems, I would recommend that you wait until we release a more recent BIOS version for your system.

Please stay tuned for more updates and thanks to all of you for reporting.

Regards,

Ronny G

JRayn3
New Contributor II
Zyxak
Beginner

OK, disabling the Secure Boot solved the reboot loop and firmware update problem. Thanks to TPerk4 and others who suggested this. Firmware updated to 0079, will re-enable Secure Boot later.

Now... back to the original problems...

The Driver & Support Assistant still tells me that I have 2 updates pending:

• Intel® Graphics - Windows® 10 DCH Drivers for Intel® NUC Install
  • Realtek* High Definition Audio Driver for Windows® 10 64-bit for NUC8i7BE, NUC8i5BE, NUC8i3BE

If I try to install either of these updates I get the same error message. (see below)

update_error.png

Cheers,

=Z=

Trial-Member
New Contributor III

Hi @Zyxak​,

Try this driver for your Graphics.

Try this driver for your Audio.

Zyxak
Beginner

I actually have the latest audio driver installed.

IDSA shows an update pending for audio but when I scroll down to the audio section there's a tick (check) next to the audio driver, and it's the correct version number. It's bizarre!

Cheers,

=Z=

Trial-Member
New Contributor III

Is the problem with the update for the Graphics driver solved after installing the driver from my link above?

Have you tried to uninstall the driver, reboot you NUC and reinstall the audio driver?

Zyxak
Beginner

SSU report on my NUC8i7BEH...

MFerr50
Beginner

Nuc8i5BEH same issue on Graphics (solved with workaround) but BIOS not upgrading from 0078 to 0079. No upgrade with F7 manual + USB, MSI from windows 10. Nothing. boots always with 0078

Lets wait for a new 0079. :)

EBesi
Beginner

Bios 0081 is out. I just installed it on my NUC8i5BEH without any problems this time.

JRayn3
New Contributor II

As a poster in this thread who had problems with BIOS version 0079 I am pleased to say the update to 0081 on my NUC8i7BEH went perfectly well.

Thanks again to Intel for providing the Express method for us Windows users.

Zyxak
Beginner

Yes, thanks to Intel's continuing support, the 0081 BIOS installed without a hitch. Keep up the good work.

Trial-Member
New Contributor III

BIOS 0081 works fine.

Thank you for your reply @EBesi​ and @JRayn3​.