Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

NUC8i5BEH no video frequently using KVM switch

I have a 2-port StarTech KVM switch which I use to connect my NUC8i5BEH and my work laptop (Lenovo w/Nvidia Quadro K1000M) so I can share my monitor and kbd/mouse. Frequently, when switching back to my NUC, the video will be completely blank. No output at all. Can't wake it even with monitor reset. Only switching to the other source (laptop) and back will recover it. When it does recover, its obvious the resolution was changed since all my windows are shrunk into the upper left corner. It also removes the color profile I have set which forces me to reboot or logout/login to get it back.

It does this ALL THE TIME and is SUPER annoying.

My prior desktop with Intel DH67CL mobo was running the same exact setup the Intel integrated graphics (Sandy Bridge i5-2500K CPU) with NO problems. I also used a Nvidia GTX1060 in that unit recently with no problems. (This old PC is now down in our rec room as the kids gaming PC.) The KVM is a DVI interface and I use HDMI-DVI (so no HDCP) cable on the NUC (docking station for laptop is native DVI.)

So to summarize,

> NUC w/HDMI-DVI cable == problems

> any other PC w/native DVI == NO PROBLEMS.

Yes, I have the latest drivers and BIOS, blah blah blah. I don't want to hear some BS excuse about this not being a "tested external peripheral and therefore we can't guarantee it will work."

Hey Intel, go read thru this board and check the number of people reporting similar display issues. Its not just me. Can you really not fix this? If it worked for me with your legacy integrated graphics as well as other display adapters, its not my KVM.

I've stuck with Intel over the years figuring you were the de facto standard and had an advantage over everyone else. But after reading several articles recently on your business direction and going thru these experiences, its clear you only care about the server market these days. So, given that, the recent BIOS and display driver fubar's and now this issue, you've pretty much guaranteed that my next PC will be AMD-based.

But until then I (along with many others) would really appreciate a properly working integrated display adapter like you used to offer. Can you manage that?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

The use of adapters (hdmi-DVI) is not supported. And, I would try a better quality switch, and better quality cables.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

It's not an adapter. The cable is DVI on one end and HDMI on the other. There's absolutely no difference between video format on these two interface types (aside from HDMI supporting HDCP.)

This problem has nothing to do with adapter/cable "quality". It has to do with Intel's lack of proper development and testing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

I am using two different 4 port switches, with 4 different NUCs and two old legacy desktop boards, all with Windows 10 Pro 2004, all with the latest Intel drivers, and I have none of your problems.

Do not be blind to what you assume to be a correct configuration. Cables, converters/adapters, and kvm switches are often the problem. What worked previously on other hardware may not work on your current config.

Just saying.

Doc

Highlighted

Hi DougG5,

I work for Intel Technical Support and I have little to nothing to add to what was already explained by Al.Hill.

If the NUC works well when attached directly to a monitor but has issues when connected to the KVM Switch then the problem may be related to cables, compatibility, interfaces, adapters, signaling... etc, and there is not much troubleshooting we can try as this is a pretty straightforward configuration.

I am very sorry to hear that you may not be happy with the product, in that case, please give us a call and make reference to case 4692693, I am instructing that this case should be handled by one of our managers. Here is our contact us information: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@8

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos