Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GItos
Beginner

NUC8i5BEH2 : F2 for accessing BIOS does not work

I got a brand new NUC8I5BEH2. I need to access the BIOS. Normal procedure would be to press F2 during boot. But it isn’t working. Same with Power Button 3 sec-Access and after CMOS-reset. I need some help here, please...

0 Kudos
8 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

First of all, in order to get into BIOS Setup, you need to have a monitor connected that supports the 1024x768 resolution.

When you press the power button to power on, what is happening to the Power Button LED? Is it coming on solid and staying solid or is it flashing? If it is flashing, this means that either (a) you've installed no memory or (b) the memory installed is incompatible.

When you press the Power Button, I recommend that you press (and release) the F2 key roughly once a second until it is accepted.

Hope this helps,

...S

GItos
Beginner

Thanks, I will try the 1-Hit-per-Second-F2-method as soon as I am home. Furthermore I can tell: My monitor supports every resolution up to 4K (LG Ultrawide). The LED-Button is not flashing. The funny thing is, that F4 and F7 are working during boot, but not F2. I tried that with two keyboard in case that the F2-Button is broken...

GItos
Beginner

To make a long story short: Pressing F2 every second did not change the situation, I can not access BIOS.

Summary:

A NUC8i5BEH2 with 2 x 4 GB RAM and M2 SSD is booting correctly with LED not flashing. The monitor supports 1024x768 ppi. F2 during the boot process is not working with two different keyboards with single, intermittent (in several frequencies) and persistent pressing of F2. F4 and F7 are working. Building in and removing of the RAM-sticks and SSD did not change the situation. Same with CMOS-reset with the jumpers. After the CMOS-reset and after the 3-sec-Power-button-method there are menus, e.g. for entering BIOS by pressing F2. But this does not work either.

After CMOS-reset there are different options in a menu: Reseting the admin- and costumer-password, erasing the Trusted Plattform data etc.. Is there a way there to get forward?

Any ideas? I would be very happy, if somebody could lead the way. Thanks in advance!

n_scott_pearson

Yea, after reading your last post, I was pretty sure that it wouldn't. If F7 works - and you see dialog for selecting .BIO file to install - but F2 doesn't, then what you are seeing is the classic response of the system that does not have a monitor (or TV) connected that supports the 1024x768 resolution. Remember that it might not be seeing a monitor period; not just one that doesn't support 1024x768. Another thing you could try is F10, but if that works (and it should), it doesn't actually prove anything.

I want to go back to something you said originally. You said you couldn't get to the Power Button Menu (PBM). Powering on holding the power button for 3 seconds can be tough. I use the "thousand and one, thousand and two, thousand and three" method. If you hold it for too long (4 full seconds), then the hard power off feature of the chipset will be invoked and the unit will be shut off. But, if this happens, you can just try again. What I want you to do is try this again. The monitor resolution issue doesn't affect the appearance of the PBM, so you should be able to get it to appear (remember that it can sometimes take a while (10-15 seconds) to appear). If you can get it to appear, then pressing F2 - and seeing the system then hang - tells you that, for sure you have the 1024x768 problem. If you cannot get it to appear, then you are looking at a problem (BIOS corruption, hardware failure, etc.).

You are sure that you are not seeing the Power Button LED flashing three times when you press the power button? Remove your SODIMMs and then try powering on again. If it flashes, good. If it does not, however, you need to get your unit replaced for sure.

If you get through that, try the following:

1. On another Windows-based PC (NOT Linux and NOT MacOS), reformat a USB 2.0 (best if NOT USB 3.0) flash drive, using the FAT32 file system (NOT exFAT, VFAT, etc.), with the Quick Format option disabled. Go read a book while this is happening, USB 2.0 devices are slow to format.
  2. Download and place the latest .BIO file onto the flash drive. Here is current link to latest BIOS download page: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28394/BIOS-Update-BECFL357-86A-?product=126148.
  3. Properly eject the flash drive (do not just yank it out!).
  4. If you hadn't already, restore your SODIMMs to the NUC.
  5. Insert the flash drive into a front USB port on the NUC (yellow charging port, for example).
  6. Power on. When the BIOS splash screen appears, press F7.
  7. In the dialog that appears, browse to your flash drive (usually top entry) and select the .BIO file you downloaded.
  8. The system should proceed to update the BIOS to the latest version. You should see the system reset (don't touch it) and then a dialog presenting the progress of the update should automatically appear. It will take a few minutes to complete this update. When it is done, the system will reset again. When you see this (if you didn't get bored and look away), try using F2 again.

If that process worked but F2 still doesn't work, then do the following:

1. Power off the NUC.
  2. Leave the flash disk plugged into it.
  3. Flip it over, remove bottom cover and drive bay and then remove the yellow BIOS Configuration Jumper.
  4. Power the NUC back on.
  5. The NUC should find the flash disk and begin installing the .BIO file again (but this time in BIOS Recovery mode). Like the F7 method, you should see the NUC reset (again, don't touch it) and then present the BIOS update progress dialog. Unlike the F7 method, when it is done, it will present a message and pause.
  6. Power off the NUC.
  7. Remove the flash drive.
  8. Restore the jumper to pins 1-2 of the BIOS Configuration header.
  9. Reinstall the bottom cover and drive bay and then flip back over.
  10. Power on the NUC. When BIOS splash screen appears, try using F2.
  11. If it doesn't work, you will need to get your unit replaced.

Let me know how it goes,

...S

GItos
Beginner

"If F7 works - and you see dialog for selecting .BIO file to install - but F2 doesn't, then what you are seeing is the classic response of the system that does not have a monitor (or TV) connected that supports the 1024x768 resolution."

Well, here are my configurations:

NUC => HDMI-cable => LG Ultrawide 38´ (max. resolution 3840 x 1600 with four different settings including "1:1", which should display the original 1024x768)

NUC => HDMI-cable + DVI-adapter => Samsung SyncMaster 913 TM (max. resolution 1280 x 1024)

NUC => USB-C-adapter + VGA-cable => Samsung SyncMaster 913 TM (max. resolution 1280 x 1024)

NUC => USB-C-adapter + VGA-cable => Acer H6517ABD Beamer (max. resolution 1920 x 1080)

NUC => HDMI-cable => Acer H6517ABD Beamer (max. resolution 1920 x 1080)

NUC => HDMI-cable => Panasonic TX-24ESW504 VIERA TV with Full HD

=> Everytime the same result: I can see the NUC-screen appear, having plenty of time to press the F2-key, but with no BIOS. After the logo the message appears: "Checking for bootable devices" and then "No bootable devices found" I mean, I was building many PC by my own, but I never had one, which was not displaying BIOS because of resolution was too high...!?!

"Remember that it might not be seeing a monitor period; not just one that doesn't support 1024x768."

As a non-native speaker, I don´t understand, what you mean. Could you, please, explain? Thank you!

"You said you couldn't get to the Power Button Menu (PBM)." => No. I could initiate the PBM several times and updated the Bios with that (F7). But F2 did not react.

"If you can get it to appear, then pressing F2 - and seeing the system then hang - tells you that, for sure you have the 1024x768 problem." => the system doesn´t hang, it just tried to found a boot device.

" If you cannot get it to appear, then you are looking at a problem (BIOS corruption, hardware failure, etc.)." => Is it possible to have a BIOS corruption with 3 updates/restoration of the BIOS, all commented by the system as "successful"?

You are sure that you are not seeing the Power Button LED flashing three times when you press the power button? Remove your SODIMMs and then try powering on again. If it flashes, good. If it does not, however, you need to get your unit replaced for sure. => I am sure, that the LED is not flashing. It is flashing when I remove the RAM.

"

1. On another Windows-based PC (NOT Linux and NOT MacOS), reformat a USB 2.0 (best if NOT USB 3.0) flash drive, using the FAT32 file system (NOT exFAT, VFAT, etc.), with the Quick Format option disabled." => I do not have a Windows-based PC. You can erase USB 2.0-Stick with MacOSX with option "for sure" which is erasing according to Standard 5220-22-M of US Defence regulation. It should be alright. All the following steps I did - three times...

My last resort is your last procedure. I already did remove the jumpers, but only for a CMOS-reset. I will try the BIOS Recovery mode next... I keep you updated.

Thanks for your fast and elaborate response. Thanks!

n_scott_pearson

The flash disk issue has nothing to do with erasure; it is the low-level format and file system placed on the drive that is important. It is unclear what the flash disk manufacturers are using to prepare and format the flash disks but many have problems. When this problem is seen, only by doing a format to the FAT32 file system, on a Windows-based PC, and having it write to every sector fixes this problem. Linux and MacOS do not generate a 100% compatible FAT32 file system (they claim to but they don't). Where this issue will show up is in the BIOS Recovery process. It simply will not find the .BIO file to be installed.

Try the BIOS Recovery. If it doesn't work at all, find another Windows-based PC to format the flash disk on. If it works but F2 continues to not work, you may have an issue that will require the replacement of the unit.

...S

LeonWaksman
Super User

If one of the items is: Disable Fast Boot, please press use it to disable Fast Boot.

Leon​

GItos
Beginner

This is the latest update: I did the BIOS recovery after removing the jumper according steps 1-11. The update/recovery went smoothly. The BIOS-file was detected although I used a non-Windows-formated USB-stick. See picture 1.

But after that the same situation: F2 did not open BIOS. Another PBM showed menu correctly but F2, F7, F10 and F12 triggered no reaction at all. F4 and Esc triggered reboot and boot device search respectively.

I will send back my unit. But I thank you for your help!