Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DPequ
Beginner

NUC8i5BEH2 USB failure. Minutes later, device fails to turn on.

Hi, I'm having issues with the above mentioned model. So far, we've had 3 devices fail in the same following way:

1. Usb ports stop working, but are still supplying power.
  2. Either the device turns off unexpectedly, or we turn it off manually. It never comes back to life.

This is all the additional information I can provide:

• Ambient temperatures between 2 and 7 degrees Celsius.
  • The USB devices we have attached are always the same: a POS style touch screen, and two HID devices (Barcode Scanners).
  • Time until failure ranges from a single day to several months.
  • Once the USB ports fail, device failure follows within minutes.
  • We found that the Standby power LED is turned on even when the device has become bricked, so it should not be a power supply failure.

Any help or ideas as to why this is occuring will be very appreciated. Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. What is the current consumption of the devices you are connecting to the USB port?
  2. The blue USB ports are rated for 900mA maximum current and the yellow USB is rated fro 1.5A maximum current. Type C USB port (on the back panel) is rated for 3A.

Leon

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I see two possibilities. First, as Leon has suggested, drawing too much power or generating a power surge on the USB ports could cause it. Second (presuming it wasn't a typo on your part), if ambient temperature falls below 0c (zero Celsius), operation is not guaranteed.

Hope this helps,

...S

Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello DPequ,

Thank you for posting in the Intel Communities.

Were you able to check our peer's posts?

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards, 

Abigail G

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello DPequ,

I have not heard back from you so I will close this inquiry now. If you need further assistance, please post a new question

Best Regards, 

Abigail G

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel.