Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12307 Discussions

NUC8i5BEK BIOS update stuck on "Flashing image for EC firmware"

nucking
Beginner

I started a manual BIOS update with the following steps

1. Formatted a USB drive on Windows with NTFS and quick format disabled per instructions here

2. Downloaded be0089.bio from here

3. Loading be0089.bio onto the USB drive and plugged it into the NUC

4. Used the F7 update instructions here to install the BIOS update

Everything was looking great, but it got stuck after a few minutes on the "Flashing image for EC firmware..." step. It's been over 2 hours at this point.

It looks just like in the image below, except for the last line isn't actually there anymore and the Flashing EC firmware doesn't say [done] anymore

Any suggestions?

BIOS update freeze.jpeg

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @nucking 

Could be that this happened because you skipped few important BIOS updates and tried to update directly form version 0078 to 0089. Any way I suggest that using the same USB stick (with be0089.bio file), perform BIOS Recovery with the Yellow Security Jumper removed:

1. Disconnect the power adapter and remove the bottom panel from your NUC.
3. Remove the Yellow Bios Security Jumper. (page 41 in Technical Product Specification)
5. Insert the USB with the be0089.bio file into rear USB slot.
6. Reconnect the power adapter and power ON the NUC. Wait 30 sec - 2min. The Recovery process will start automatically and will end after 2 -5 minutes.
7. When bios recovery is completed, press and hold the Power Button to switch the power OFF, remove the power adapter and replace the Security Jumper (pins 1-2) . Reinstall the bottom panel.
8. Power your NUC ON.
9. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
10. Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.
If before update, you have customized bios settings, you can enter again to Bios setting to change the necessary settings. 

Once the Recovery is completed, I suggest that you repeat the F7 BIOS Update (in order to correctly update the EC and ME firmware).

Leon

View solution in original post

3 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @nucking 

Could be that this happened because you skipped few important BIOS updates and tried to update directly form version 0078 to 0089. Any way I suggest that using the same USB stick (with be0089.bio file), perform BIOS Recovery with the Yellow Security Jumper removed:

1. Disconnect the power adapter and remove the bottom panel from your NUC.
3. Remove the Yellow Bios Security Jumper. (page 41 in Technical Product Specification)
5. Insert the USB with the be0089.bio file into rear USB slot.
6. Reconnect the power adapter and power ON the NUC. Wait 30 sec - 2min. The Recovery process will start automatically and will end after 2 -5 minutes.
7. When bios recovery is completed, press and hold the Power Button to switch the power OFF, remove the power adapter and replace the Security Jumper (pins 1-2) . Reinstall the bottom panel.
8. Power your NUC ON.
9. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
10. Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.
If before update, you have customized bios settings, you can enter again to Bios setting to change the necessary settings. 

Once the Recovery is completed, I suggest that you repeat the F7 BIOS Update (in order to correctly update the EC and ME firmware).

Leon

nucking
Beginner

I followed these instructions and ended up with the latest version of the BIOS installed.

Thank you!

nucking
Beginner

I followed these instructions and ended up with the latest version of the BIOS installed.

Thank you!