cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

NUC8i5BEK doesnt boot after restart

hello all,

i recenly bought a new NUC8i5BEK and im really disappointed. especially after finding out that a lot of people have problems with the NUC.

i have updated the bios, changed everything and still if i reboot the NUC it stucks after the intel nuc splash screen.

ive read tons of articles here and on the internet on how to fix it and nothing helped so far.

how can intel release such a buggy product? i just dont get it. btw, im running ubuntu on the box and why dear god dont you use sea bios, intels bios is not really good.

please dont ask me for my bios settings because i litreally tried every possible setting.

it doesnt matter what i do but after a reboot it gets stuck with the error that no bootable device was found. (after wating for 4 minutes)

if i turn the nuc off with the button and turn it on again, it works fine.

for me this is not a solution because i want to place the nuc somewhere where i cant reach easily and if needed ill restart it through vpn.

has anyone had the same problem and could you fix that? otherwise ill have to send the nuc back and look for an other brand.

thanks

6 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Hi Samso,

There are so many possibilities that the mind boggles.

Please download, install, run, save, and upload the output of this utility.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Download Intel® System Support Utility for Windows*

If you're simply having a rant, that's fine, but if you help the community by providing a bit more information about your configuration, you may just get a great recommendation or two.

By the way, Intel never has provided support for Linux on the NUC products and likely Intel never will provide support for Linux on the NUC products.

However, there are many people here with some or more experience with NUCs and Linux distros.

Highlighted
Novice

hi mike,

thanks for the quick reply. i gave the nuc to a friend. he is more into hardware than i am. but i just wrote him about SSU. ill get back with the results as soon as he got up again.

no i dont just want to rant, im really disappointed and i tell you why:

my first computer was a compaq pressario, this was 22 year ago. since then i went through a lot of OS.

for a couple of years i swtiched to AMD but i got back to intel again. this happened also many years ago.

at the moment im running 6 machines:

1 older desktop with win7, 1 3-year old win10 dekstop, 1 latop running win7, 1 laptop running daemon, 1 machine running 18.04, and a macbookpro.

all this devices are running intel so no, if it comes to new intel products, this is really new to me that intel started to limit their support on OS,

especially if the new macbooks are running the 8259u and 8559u chips.

this device is mostly used as a media center and it comes as a bare bone, you dont have any OS running, no ram and no harddrive. THIS makes the NUC automaticly a "tech guy hardware".

so if you only provide a bare bone, why the limitation on windows?

most of the people buy the NUC because its really cheap. so if your barebone is cheap then you dont want to put a fortune in that thing at all.

a lot of people end up with 4 to 8gb ram and a small SSD. you try to put up a very nice and fast little low budget box with a lot of limitation already (for eg. you cant just put a dedicated gfx inside that box).

that means that you really need every single bit you can get!

...and then intel limits the nuc to the most resource consuming OS on earth...

thats why.

and my disappointment is just so big, because my love for intel is too.

ps: sorry for the bad english, its not my native tongue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

For the most part, it's true that the NUCs are sold as kits - and yes, you need to know what you are doing to be able to get a system running. If you can't (or don't want to) handle it yourself, wait for Intel to release a system-level product version or purchase a preconfigured system built-up by a company like https://simplynuc.com/ SimplyNUC.

Now, this has absolutely nothing to do with the issue of Linux support. No one said that that Linux wasn't supported or wasn't going to work. What was said was that Intel does not validate Linux on the NUCs. Why? Well, there are two major reasons. First of all, because it costs a lot of time, manpower and money to validate the release of an O/S and, in this scenario, each and every release of each and every distribution of Linux would have to count as a separate O/S release to be validated. If Intel validated all of the distros that customers have listed as being important, the NUC would need to cost double or triple what it costs now just to cover the cost of this validation. Secondly, when Intel has a NUC product ready to go, it isn't going to wait to launch this NUC product until the Linux distros catch up and have version(s) available that can support all of its hardware features. Fact is, the open source development model is, IMHO, completely broken. Support for new processors, chipsets and other hardware can lag behind the industry by 6 months or even longer.

Now, it's certainly true that the fact that Intel doesn't validate any Linux distros could mean that bugs might exist (in the BIOS etc.) that would preclude Linux or some Linux app. from running. This does happen from time to time, I will admit. But, when Intel is presented with one of these issues, they make the changes necessary to address these issues. They certainly don't say 'no, Linux isn't supported' and ignore the issue. Because Linux is not validated, however, the training priorities for Intel Customer Support are going to be centered around Windows and thus their ability to assist with Linux issues *is* going to be limited. This shouldn't be new to you, however; it has been the case for many years.

BTW, no, most people don't purchase NUCs because they are cheap; they purchase NUCs because of their size and their feature set.

...S

P.S. If you are not comfortable conversing in English, then don't. We have access to translators and know how to use them (just remember that we cannot easily translate the text in any images that you might attach). Regardless, there's no need to apologize; we understand the situation and deal with it regularly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

UPDATE:

hi mike,

i think im totally in love with intel again. my friend got back to me and told me that i was just very unlucky buying corrupted SSDs and USB sticks (brand new).

the NUC is running and rebooting fine now.

thank you for your quick reply!

but 1 think... intel should still support other OS too on bare bones :-)

cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I have exactly the same problem with couple of NUC8i5BEH (the taller brother of NUC8i5BEK). My M.2 SSD are both Kingston sa1000m8/480g. They both can run Windows without problems. Windows can boot and reboot without hanging during the POST phase.

Ubuntu 18.04 (server, non GUI), and Ubuntu 18.10 (with gui, booted live from USB), works fine, but when I ask it to reboot, the NUC hangs during the POST phase showing the "Intel NUC" logo.

After 90 secs of "Intel NUC" logo, the following text appears:

BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempt(s).

Possible causes include recent changes to BIOS

Performance Options or recent hardware change.

Press 'Y' to enter Setup or 'N' to cancel and attempt

to boot with previous settings.

I already upgraded the BIOS to the latest available version and used F9 to load setup default.

One of the two NUC will be used as a small server with ubuntu 18.04, I need to be able to reboot it remotely.

Any idea on how to make this reboot continue under Ubuntu 18.04 ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Fixed! I upgraded the SA1000M8/480G M.2 disk firmware from E8FK11.L to E8FK11.R and now the NUC reboots correctly from liunx too.

0 Kudos