cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC8i5BEK surround over ARC?

Jump to solution

I've just bought a NUC8i5BEK and i'm not really impressed..

It all started with me upgrading the living room TV to a Sony 65XF9005. With the old TV I had all my HDMI units go to the AV receiver and then to the TV. My receiver does not support 4k (Pioneer VSX-921) so I connected the my old HP Elitedesk 800 directly to the TV using a Displayport to HDMI adapter. I could not get 4k @ 60hZ to work, but the audio worked just fine trough the TV. I had surround from the PC going through the TV to the receiver.

I really liked the idea of the NUCs so I thought I would throw away the Elitedesk and get a small NUC instead. I installed the NUC and it works okay. I now have 4k @ 60hz, and that's perfect. But now I can't get DTS or anything to pass through to the receiver. I can choose surround from Windows sound options, but only the front speakers work. I've tried a bunch of different HDMI cables and ports. If if disconnect my NUC and connect my PS4, i get DTS through the TV without any issues. So the problem must be with the NUC.

Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this?

Tobias

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello David

Thanks for your suggestions. I had already followed that guide and also updated the graphics driver.

I have solved the problem now. Turns out it actually wasn't the NUCs fault.

It seems that the NUC was passing PCM sound, which doesn't work in multi-channel via ARC. I had only tested the surround in VLC with some Dolby and DTS clips. Turns out all I had to do was enable passthrough in VLC sound settings. Now it works! I'm thrilled.

I've also configured the NUC to turn on with my TV and vice versa. It seems like the perfect media center now. Fast, high resolution at 60 Hz and can pass DTS and Dolby Digital Plus. I've just gone from disappointed to impressed about the little thing..

Tobias

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Employee
Hello TDejb, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. First, I would like to share with you a guide we have for setting up surround sound using an Intel ® NUC. Please refer to the link below: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/Configure-Surround-Sound.pdf In the guide, you will have a recommendation to update the graphics driver to the latest one to avoid any issues, please refer to the link below to have the latest one validated for the Intel ® NUC you have: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28601/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Intel-NU... Let me know if this helps. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello David

Thanks for your suggestions. I had already followed that guide and also updated the graphics driver.

I have solved the problem now. Turns out it actually wasn't the NUCs fault.

It seems that the NUC was passing PCM sound, which doesn't work in multi-channel via ARC. I had only tested the surround in VLC with some Dolby and DTS clips. Turns out all I had to do was enable passthrough in VLC sound settings. Now it works! I'm thrilled.

I've also configured the NUC to turn on with my TV and vice versa. It seems like the perfect media center now. Fast, high resolution at 60 Hz and can pass DTS and Dolby Digital Plus. I've just gone from disappointed to impressed about the little thing..

Tobias

View solution in original post

0 Kudos