Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC8i5BEK windows 10 install fail

Can not get windows to install on NUC8i5BEK with Transcend 256GB NVME PCIe M.2 SSD.  At the moment i'm stuck with a dialog box claiming a missing media driver that could be USB or HDD.  To date have tried another SSD, unfortunately the as original https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CXZ9D7T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 as well as the obvious; update and set BIOS to defaults, several USB sticks with windows via the tool or RUFUS, even tried an Ubuntu install on the original drive.  Worth noting the M.2 drive does not show up in the boot UEFI boot drive order although it did when I tried legacy at one point.  Read somewhere in the dozens of threads it won't show till there is an OS but not sure if that's the case.  Have tried loading the rst driver 17.5.2 with no luck.  No clue where to go from here, another SSD or NUC if I had one...

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

If it says it is missing a driver, it is because it is not actually installing in UEFI mode. Use the Microsoft tool to build your USB flash disk.

...S 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks Scott have tried both the Microsoft tool and RUFUS (set UEFI) with same results...

0 Kudos
Highlighted

When you get to the screen where you select the partition to install to, delete *all* partitions on the SSD and tell it to install to the unallocated space (which now encompasses the entire drive).

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Have also been there done that as well as used disk part to clean the drive (0) and convert GPT...

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Do you have a bad drive? This went easy-peasy for me.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thought so, bought another of the same (cheap) one off Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CXZ9D7T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 only to get the same results...

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Tell me everything that you are installing into this NUC and everything you are plugging into this NUC. No descriptions, part numbers only!

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

The SSD drive installed is the Transcend 256GB Nvme PCIe Gen3 X4 MTE110S M.2 SSD Solid State Drive TS256GMTE110S.

Ram installed is the Crucial 8GB Single DDR4 2400 MT/S (PC4-19200) SR x8 SODIMM 260-Pin Memory - CT8G4SFS824A.

That's it!  Nothing else but KVM plugged in to the thing...
0 Kudos
Highlighted

No keyboard? No mouse? No monitor?

Does the KVM have an audio solution built into it? [These shouldn't need drivers but you never know]

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Sorry by keyboard I meant Keyboard, monitor and mouse.  Also the driver error was me disabling network boot in BIOS which also apparently disables UEFI mode.   

Now back to the original issue starting with a fresh USB key built from the windows installer and erasing the SDD (or diskpart clean) I always get the dialog box 'Windows cannot snstall required files.  Makes sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation.  Error code: 0x80070022'

I've spent some ridiculous time chasing threads and knowledge base with no help to date.  It seems like for some reason the system is not writing the files to the SDD for installation.  Why I have no idea, have tried everything I can find online, missing something...

The fact that it wouldn't install Ubuntu (legacy mode) lead me to think it was the SSD but a brand new one has the same issue.  Have https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MG119KG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 in my cart but not sure that is the right way to go wish I had or could afford another NUC maybe this one has an issue it came second hand but had a working Roon Rock OS when I received it from a reputable source.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

One other clue, it is booting to the SSD (I think) because disk part will not let me 'clean' the SSD after the error dialog, only at USB boot.  However it shows 0 B free with a * under Gpt.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

A KVM is a device. Don't make up your own TLAs.

There are lots of USB devices that can cause bizarrely abnormal system operation. Many of these are keyboards and mice. I thus like to know what specific devices are connected (just in case).

Let's move on...

If Setup it not writing files to the drive successfully, one of these is true:

1. It has not been booted in UEFI mode.
  2. The disk is damaged.
  3. The NUC's motherboard is damaged.

If you believe that (1) and (2) are not the case and it is too late to return the unit via the storefront you purchased it through, then you need to make arrangements for a RMA replacement.

After verifying that your warranty is (still) active (here: Determine if Your Product Is Still Under Warranty), you need to directly contact Intel Customer Support to initiate the RMA process (you cannot do this through the community forums). Here are pages where you can lookup contact information, including local phone numbers, by geography:

You can use the online forms service or email, but I actually recommend calling them directly. The above links provide local or toll-free numbers in most countries and support most local languages. You could also use the chat service (start here: Intel Customer Support Chat), but understand that this service is offered in English only and is subject to the normal (9:00-5:00 M-F) office hours in the Pacific (UTC-8) time zone.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Noted on TLA’s.  Have tried both generic wired and wireless keyboard/mouse and different monitors as it happens.  Currently Logitech K360 & M570 and Acer monitor.

Tried to install the latest Ubuntu again last night, it simply locks up about 80 percent thru the file copy process.  Still ‘feels’ like the SSD for some reason, hopefully that particular model.

Is there some way to verify the machine is booting to UEFI?  I can verify that’s what is checked in visual BIOS which also seems to be the NUC default.

Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 250GB - M.2 NVMe (MZ-V7S250B/AM) arrives tomorrow, hopefully it will play nice.  

If not thanks for the RMA links and your help, much appreciated...

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Yea, my first reaction would have been Bad SSD.

Samsung 970 EVO Plus is good choice. Remember that performance increases as SSD size increases (the 256GB model as best write speed of 1500 MB/s whereas the 512GB has 2300 MB/s).

You are welcome; let us know how it works out...

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor III

I own a NUC8i5BEH Samsung 970 EVO MZ-V7S1T0BW as boot device. Works fine with W10.

0 Kudos