Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12330 Discussions

NUC8i5BEK won't detect SSD

nucking
Beginner

I recently purchased a NUC8i5BEK off of eBay (from a well reputed seller in good condition) and a brand new Samsung 970 EVO Plus. My NUC won't detect my SSD and I've tried everything I could think off

1. USB booting against Windows, Ubuntu Server and Ubuntu Desktop. None detected a SSD and all prevented me from partitioning or installing the OS onto the drive.
  2. Upgrading BIOS from 0078 to 0089
  3. Reset BIOS to default settings, ensured SATA settings are set to AHCI, and made sure the M.2 checkbox was marked per guidance hereThe SSD was not listed in BIOS under Advanced --> Devices (images below)
  4. Made sure the SSD is inserted correctly and fastened in the M.2 slot

Does anyone have any advice for further troubleshooting? How can I tell if there is an issue with the NUC?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. You can't install Windows since your SSD is not recognized in BIOS. If recognized, you should see its details (P/N,. etc..) on Advanced>Devices>PCI tab, under the M.2 enabled line.

2. Please recheck that the SSD is fully inserted (see the attached image). You should fill a click when inserting the SSD up to the end.

3. Check with an other SSD (may be from laptop) if it is recognized or check this Samsung 970 EVO Plus in other computer.

4. If you verified that the SSD is OK (brand new doesn't proof it), failure is in your NUC. Try to replace it in the shop you bought it.

Leon

NUC8i5BEH.png

View solution in original post

2 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. You can't install Windows since your SSD is not recognized in BIOS. If recognized, you should see its details (P/N,. etc..) on Advanced>Devices>PCI tab, under the M.2 enabled line.

2. Please recheck that the SSD is fully inserted (see the attached image). You should fill a click when inserting the SSD up to the end.

3. Check with an other SSD (may be from laptop) if it is recognized or check this Samsung 970 EVO Plus in other computer.

4. If you verified that the SSD is OK (brand new doesn't proof it), failure is in your NUC. Try to replace it in the shop you bought it.

Leon

NUC8i5BEH.png

nucking
Beginner

Thanks Leon. I was able to get my NUC to play nice with my SSD after taking the following steps. Sharing my journey below in case it's helpful to anyone else.

1) Connected an older non-NVMe SSD from a broken laptop I had lying around to my NUC

2) Booted Windows 10 from that non-NVMe SSD (NUC had no problems with this older SSD)

3) Installed and launched the Intel Driver & Support Assistant, which helped me identify and install a few missing drivers (in addition to the BIOS, which I had already updated manually). I'm pretty sure that updating the Intel Serial IO Driver was the key driver that needed to be updated, since the others were not relevant to the task at hand.

4) Replaced the non-NVMe SSD with my brand new Samsung 970 EVO Plus which previously was not being detected by the NUC

5) Booted into BIOS, and confirmed that the NUC could now detect the 970 EVO Plus in the PCI tab. I also noticed that the front LED on the NUC turned on when it detected the SSD. I hadn't seen that LED turn on previously, and I'm guessing it was because no SSD was detected.

After those steps, I was able to install Ubuntu Server to my 970 EVO and boot from my SSD