Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JaatMers
Beginner

NUC8i7BE SSD M.2 issues

Jump to solution

Hi,

I've recently bough an Intel BOXNUC8i7BEH2.

I've got a SSD M.2 CRUCIAL (Ref CT1000MX500SSD4).

It sometimes recognize it, sometimes it doesn't. Seems to be randomly working. I've tried to update my BIOS, downgrade it, using default options.

It even recognized it at startup and after on hour my disk became unavailable (under Linux having an I/O error).

Is there any fix I could try?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I see a couple of possibilities,

1. You may have a problem with drive alignment. I would try re-seating the drive. Remove it from the M.2 socket and then reinsert. After reinserting the drive into the M.2 socket and pushing the drive down to the retention post, if the notch in the drive does not align properly with the retention post without you having to adjust the position of the card in the socket, this may be an indication of an issue with the card's shape or the socket's positioning and the possibility exists of an intermittent connection. The only thing you can do in this case is return the drive and have it replaced. If the problem reoccurs you would then need to have the NUC base unit replaced.

1. The other possibility is that the drive is simply bad. This seems to happen with some regularity; the ODMs in China do not test every unit and failing units do make it through and into the market (don't get me started on how utterly stupid I find this; I have heard stories about only one unit in a hundred being tested). In this case, all you can do is return the drive and have it replaced.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I see a couple of possibilities,

1. You may have a problem with drive alignment. I would try re-seating the drive. Remove it from the M.2 socket and then reinsert. After reinserting the drive into the M.2 socket and pushing the drive down to the retention post, if the notch in the drive does not align properly with the retention post without you having to adjust the position of the card in the socket, this may be an indication of an issue with the card's shape or the socket's positioning and the possibility exists of an intermittent connection. The only thing you can do in this case is return the drive and have it replaced. If the problem reoccurs you would then need to have the NUC base unit replaced.

1. The other possibility is that the drive is simply bad. This seems to happen with some regularity; the ODMs in China do not test every unit and failing units do make it through and into the market (don't get me started on how utterly stupid I find this; I have heard stories about only one unit in a hundred being tested). In this case, all you can do is return the drive and have it replaced.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

CV1
Novice

I agree with Scott, what came to mind is what he wrote.

1) The most problems Ive had are with Crucial products and even now Im sitting with PC memory that needs to be returned.

2) Ive found that many problems can be solved by removing and re-seating cards, especially RAM.

3) To me it doesnt sound like a NUC problem. If a few re-seats still produce the same result, Id send the drive back. The way Crucial works is that you first buy a replacement, send the old one back, if errors are found they refund you; if no errors are found they send it back and now you own two drives. I dont personally know of any user-available software tools to test the integrity of a M.2. Call Crucial and if its possible send the M.2 without first re-buying and see what they say when they get it on their equipment. If the drive is OK, Intel can replace the NUC.

JaatMers
Beginner

Hello!

Thanks for your answers! I send the M.2 back to the reseller for a replacement!

I tried my M.2 in an other computer and the same thing happened so it looks like my NUC is OK but not the M.2!

Regards,