cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC8i7BEH CPU frequency in idle mode

Hi.

There are two almost identical NUC8i7BEH. The first (*1) is made on 01.08.2019 (J72992-306), the second (*2) is made on 16.01.2020 (J72992-307). Both devices have the same BIOS version BECFL357.86A.0077.2019.1127.1452 installed. BIOS settings are reset to default.

Take the Samsung SSD 850 Pro SSD with Ubuntu 19.10 installed and boot from it on *1 device. Run s-tui and see that in idle mode the average processor frequency is 1100MHz and the processor temperature is 38.0 C.

Take the same disk and boot from it on the *2 device. Run s-tui and see that in idle mode the average processor frequency is 1600MHz and the processor temperature is 42.0 C.

What should I do to make the processor frequency in idle mode on *2 device fall to 1100MHz as well, and not to 1600MHz?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted

Hello Wakko

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to have a better understanding of this behavior, could you please confirm the following details?

1- When you mentioned the Intel® NUCs are "almost identical", could you please explain the differences? Is the only difference the SA numbers (J72992-30X)? Do they have the same hardware configuration (RAM, adapters, peripherals, etc.)? Please elaborate on the details.

2- We noticed you mentioned BIOS settings are reset to default. Could you please confirm if they both have the same settings set identical in BIOS under:

• Advance >> Performance >> Processor
  • Advance >> Power >> Primary Power Settings and Secondary Power Settings.

In case there are different settings set, please let us know and provide details or screenshots.

Regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

1. Yes, the difference in devices is only SA numbers. Only power and ethernet cables are connected to the devices, no more peripherals. Memory modules are the same, but Yes, I tried to swap them between devices, nothing has changed.

2. The BIOS settings are the same:

PERFORMANCE page: "Processor" tab "Core Settings" panel "Host Clock Frequency" [100 MHz] "Max Processor Speed" [4.50 GHz] "Intel Hyper-Thread Technology" [x] "Intel Turbo Boost Technology" [x] "Active Processor Cores" [All] "Real-Time Performance Tuning" [x] "Silicon Debug Features" [ ] "Uncore Settings" panel "Processor Ring Frequency" [4.20 GHz]   POWER page: "Primary Power Settings" panel "Balanced Enabled" [ ] gray "Low Power Enabled" [ ] gray "Max Performance Enabled" [x] "Secondary Power Settings" panel "After Power Failure" [Last State]* "Deep S4/S5" [ ] "Sleep Type support" [Legacy S3 Standby] gray "Button LED" [Power State Indicator] "S0 Indicator Brightness" [50] "S0 Indicator Blinking Behavior" [Solid] "S0 Indicator Blinking Frequency" [0.6Hz] gray "S0 Indicator Color" [Blue] "S3 Indicator Brightness" [50] "S3 Indicator Blinking Behavior" [Breathing] "S3 Indicator Blinking Frequency" [1Hz] "S3 Indicator Color" [Blue] "RGB LED" [Power State Indicator] ... "HDD LED" [HDD Activity LED] "Brightness (%)" [50] "Behavior" [On] "Color" [Orange] "Wake on LAN from S4/S5" [Stay Off]* "Wake System from S5" [ ] "USB S4/S5 Power" [ ] "Wake from Thunderbolt Devices" [ ]* "PCIe ASPM Support" [x] "Flash Update Sleep Delay" [ ]

* marked items that I changed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello Wakko

Thank you for your response.

Please allow us to check into these details you just provided and as soon as we have more information available we will be posting back in this thread.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello Wakko,

This behavior that you are observing is completely normal, two processors of exactly the same type, what we called the same SKU means that they have been rated to meet the same required specification. They will run at the target clock rate, at the same target voltage, with of course the same amount of cache and the same number of cores and everything else but, that doesn't mean that two chips of the same SKU are identical.

There could be very small variations in wafer material quality; there could be differences in lithography, metal, and chemical deposition, etc. so this could create small variations on how they behave but they both should work appropriately for the designed specification.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

BIOS on the Cooling page has the following settings:

COOLING page: "CPU Fan Header" panel "Fan Control Mode" [Balanced] "Primary Temperature Sensor" [Processor] "Fan Off capability" [x] "Fan Off Temperature (C)" [40] "Minimum Temperature (C)" [65] "Minimum Duty Cycle (%)" [35] "Duty Cycle Increment (%/C)" [2] "Secondary Temperature Sensor" [Memory] "Fan Off capability" [x] "Fan Off Temperature (C)" [32] "Minimum Temperature (C)" [55] "Minimum Duty Cycle (%)" [35] "Duty Cycle Increment (%/C)" [2]

These are default settings. The line "Fan Off Temperature (C)" indicates 40. This means that if the CPU temperature drops below 40 degrees, the fan will be switched off. That is, the temperature norm for this processor is below 40 degrees. But for this instance, the CPU temperature does not fall below 40 degrees, because the frequency in idle remains too high.

From this, we can conclude that the new revision of NU8i7BEH does not work correctly. Right?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello Wakko

Thank you for your response and for the details provided.

Regarding your inquiry, please allow us to look into these details and we will be updating this thread soon.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Wakko,

Perhaps I am not understanding this issue correctly, feel free to correct me or further clarify this issue.

Regarding CPU Fan Header Configuration, please see my comments below:

1- Fan Control Mode: Balanced/Processor Fan Off Temp: 40 and Memory Fan Off Temp: 32 (duty cycle: 2)

2- Fan Control Mode: Cool/Processor Fan Off Temp: 40 and Memory Fan Off Temp: 32 (duty cycle: 3)

3- Fan Control Mode: Quiet/Processor Fan Off Temp: 40 and Memory Fan Off Temp: 32 (duty cycle: 1)

4- The previous values are the default values based on the Fan Control Mode, as soon as you change any of these values the Fan Control Mode switches to Custom.

5- Thermal Design Power (TDP) for this processor i7-8559U is 28 Watts, Nuc BIOS regulates this according to the cooling designed

6- For the Processor Fan Off Temperature the max value is 48C which is the max safe value you can go up without affecting the processor.

I hope this helps but if I am answering your question, please provide a clear problem statement and I will be looking into it.

Thanks,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello Wakko

We would like to know if you were able to check the latest post from Ronny G and if that helped to answer your questions. If you need further assistance or have additional inquiries please let us know.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello Wakko

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this inquiry. If you need further assistance please post a new question.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos