cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NRawl
Beginner

NUC8i7BEH DRAM Frequency Unstable

I purchased the new NUC8i7BEH and paired it with:

HyperX Kingston Technology Impact 32GB Kit (2x16GB) 2400MHz DDR4 CL14 260-Pin SODIMM Laptop HX424S14IBK2/32

When looking at CPU-Z the DRAM frequency stays at 665 when the system is at idle (effective 1333 Dual channel speed) and then fluctuates to 1197 (effective 2400 which is what it should be) when the system is under load.

With everything that I could find, usually the DRAM is not suppose to fluctuate like that and should be constant.

Going into the BIOS Performance Tab under Memory, there is nothing that I am able to change under the current BIOS (which is the only one released, I even re flashed the BIOS)

The system is stable but it just seems weird and I don't know if it is a BIOS issue, RAM issue, Motherboard issue, or no issue.

Attached is the BIOS and the CPU-Z DRAM frequency changes.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello nik729,

Thank you for joining this Intel Community.

Keep in mind that the memory performance may vary depending on the system configuration and if the SO-DIMMs support Serial Presence Detect (SPD) data structure. In this case, try the following steps to gather more information about this issue.

1. Try using other monitoring tools.

https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/support/articles/000024102/mini-pcs.html Diagnostic and Performance Tools for the Intel® NUC

2. Try using one stick of memory at the time and compare the performance of your unit.

3. Please run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the report to this thread.

1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91...

2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.

3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
idata
Community Manager

Hello nik729,

Were you able to review the information provided above?

If you still need any assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Wanner G.

NRawl
Beginner

I tested each RAM module one at a time and even bought a different brand of RAM

CORSAIR CMSX32GX4M2A2400C16 Vengeance 32GB (2x16GB) 260-Pin DDR4 SO-DIMM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Memory

Whether both Kingston sticks, each Kingston stick or the Corsair memory together all show the DRAM at 665 at idle which jumps to 1200 until system load. I ran the diagnostics as requested:

- "Memory"

Physical Memory (Available):"27.77 GB"

Physical Memory (Installed):"32 GB"

Physical Memory (Total):"31.87 GB"

- "Memory Channel A"

Capacity:"16 GB"

Channel:"SODIMM1"

Configured Clock Speed:"2400 MHz"

Configured Voltage:"1200 millivolts"

Data Width:"64 bits"

Form Factor:"SODIMM"

Interleave Position:"First position"

Manufacturer:"Kingston"

Maximum Voltage:"Not Available"

Memory Type:"Unknown"

Minimum Voltage:"Not Available"

Part Number:"KHX2400C14S4/16G"

Serial Number:"C12D7645"

Type:"Synchronous"

- "Memory Channel B"

Capacity:"16 GB"

Channel:"SODIMM2"

Configured Clock Speed:"2400 MHz"

Configured Voltage:"1200 millivolts"

Data Width:"64 bits"

Form Factor:"SODIMM"

Interleave Position:"Second position"

Manufacturer:"Kingston"

Maximum Voltage:"Not Available"

Memory Type:"Unknown"

Minimum Voltage:"Not Available"

Part Number:"KHX2400C14S4/16G"

Serial Number:"C02D7645"

Type:"Synchronous"

AC4
Beginner

Hi nik729 i am not too sure if you managed to catch a glimpse of the compatible memory list for this nuc before it was pulled but both hyperx and the corsair with 2x 16gb config at 2400 will not work with this nuc. Have you tried it at a lower clock speed at 2100 and also with a single stick configuration.

NRawl
Beginner

There are no memory modules listed under the NUC8i7BEH yet

http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails/ExportPeripheralInfo?moduleName=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC... http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails/ExportPeripheralInfo?moduleName=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC...

I think you were looking under last generations NUC7i7BNH

http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails/ExportPeripheralInfo?moduleName=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC... http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails/ExportPeripheralInfo?moduleName=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC...

Per the system Memory Page for the NUC8i7BEH:

Memory requirements

• Supports two 1.2V DDR4 SO-DIMMs
  • 2400 MHz
  • Unbuffered, non-ECC
  • Single-sided or double-sided
  • Minimum recommended memory: 2 GB
  • Maximum memory: 32 GB
  • Serial presence detect (SPD)

Like I have said before, the system is stable it is just weird about the DRAM frequency that changes

AC4
Beginner

Did you read what i mentioned before? the memory list of compatible intel verified was removed this last week or so for the BEH

NRawl
Beginner

No, I did not see the memory list before it was taken down. I would love to take a look at it. I could still return the Kingston Ram at this point but would like to see the compatible ram list before buying anymore.

AC4
Beginner

only 3 from my amazon search history when i was pricing up ram for the system that was included on the list

MTA16ATF1G64HZ-2G1A1 micron 8gb

M471A2K43BB1-CRC samsung 2400 16gb

HMA82GS6MFR8N-TF sk 2100 16gb

there were no corsair or hyperx on the 16gb list

RP5
Beginner

The Intel compatibility list shows products that have been validated by Intel to be compatible. If similar products aren't listed it doesn't mean they won't work properly they just haven't been validated to do so.

A glaring example is the list of NVMe SSD's, they only tested Intel's own products, but there are plenty of competitors. I have a 970 EVO in mine and it works great.

I have a NUC8i7BEH with Kingston Hyper X Impact 2400 16gb installed. I see the same memory clock frequency info you pointed out in your original post.

I can't explain why CPU-Z shows the frequency the way it does but I think it's reporting it properly.

I can tell you that I have run Geekbench 4 and UserBenchmark on my NUC with great results including memory performance.

Ran this today http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11227993 http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11227993

If you go on Geekbench and look at i7-8559U results for our NUC's and compare with the Macbook Pro you can see that the NUC's perform just as well. Compare your results to give you peace of mind.

AC4
Beginner

a single hyper memory chip will work differently than two. i did mention in a post earlier on to try one chip as two chip configuration may not work. In the previous gens the ram nucs use is extremely picky when you try 32gb configs

RP5
Beginner

I have two Kingston Hyper X Impact 2400 8gb ram boards, looks like I might have had only one 16gb the way I wrote my last post.

It's important for nik729 to test his current setup performance to confirm if ram is a problem or not.

This CPU-Z question on ram frequency is an old question and not likely to signify any problem with ram performance.

NRawl
Beginner

I have two Kingston Hyper X Impact 2400 16gb ram boards and whether they are used together, each individually or even swapped on the motherboard slots it is the same DRAM frequency changes. I also ended up buying

Corsair16GB 2400MHz

CMSX32GX4M2A2400C16

Intel Validated

which is on the now republished Intel Product Compatibility List. Putting both of the 16GB Corsair sticks in resulted in the exact same DRAM fluctuations as noted in my original post with the Kingston RAM.

I ran Geekbench tonight: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/10194640 Intel(R) Client Systems NUC8i7BEH - Geekbench Browser

This one is also me from a bit ago: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/10035375 Intel(R) Client Systems NUC8i7BEH - Geekbench Browser

and Usermark tonight: http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11239006 http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11239006

Everything runs smooth so who knows. Performance is great, everything is stable. I just happened to run across it when looking at CPU-Z when I was originally bench marking and looking at stuff but otherwise would not have known anything was abnormal and not running correctly

RP5
Beginner

nik729,

I think your original question is a valid one. It would be nice to see someone from Intel chime in and explain what we're seeing. I was researching this ram clock issue yesterday. Somebody on a forum said that if the ram frequency shown on CPU-Z doesn't match the ram installed then the ram is either not setup properly manually or via XMP. By match I mean it's half of the ram's frequency i.e. 1200 for 2400 Mhz ram.

I noticed on CPU-Z Memory tab, when the Dram frequency goes from 665 to 1198 all of the ras and cas values below it change as well.

At dram freq of 1200 the ras and cas values I see displayed are set to the manufacturers specified values for the ram board. Our NUC's use XMP 2.0, XMP uses SPD values from the ram board to set the ras and cas.

At dram freq of 665 ras and cas values are not set according to XMP profile. Ras and cas values change with the ram frequency and the values I see look appropriate for the lower frequency.

It would be interesting to see if there would be a difference in performance if XMP was turned off and ras and cas values were set and locked for 1200 Mhz manually. But I don't think that can be done in the Bios we have.

I wonder if the lower clock we see is a way to save power when ram has a low demand. If it is, then there is going to be a small time delay from lower clock switch to 1200 which could possible affect performance.

Thanks for posting your benchmark results, your NUC is running slightly better than mine.

NRawl
Beginner

Thanks for articulating the intent of my original post.

I agree it would be nice if someone from Intel could confirm that it is performing as intended, is a bug that can be fixed with a BIOS update (either locking in SPD values through XMP or allowing for manual settings), or is it possibly a defect that is more concerning with the system.

idata
Community Manager

Hello all,

Thank you all for your feedback. It is highly appreciated.

I would like to add that the behavior described above is expected. However, in order to provide accurate information about this issue, we will do further research about it.

We will get back to you as soon as possible.

Also, as some of you have mentioned above, you can find the list of Intel Validated Memory modules for Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i7BEH using our Intel® Product Compatibility Tool > Search > Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i7BEH > Memory modules.

http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?prodSearch=True&searchTerm=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC%20Ki... Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i7BEH

Wanner G.

Ronny_G_Intel

Hi nik729 and everyone,

I work for Intel Customer Support and I have been monitoring this thread, I don't have much to say to be honest with you, I am not aware of the way CPU-Z* does all the different calculation and I went to their website to look around for more details but I couldn't find anything related to NB Frequency which seems to be North Bridge Frequency and I got nothing for DRAM Frequency either, my understanding is that it measures performance per every cycle. Unfortunately there's no better method how to measure the exact and precise Base Clock (BCLK) speed, so that's why you see fluctuations. Remember BCLK drivers a lot of things on the motherboards, from system RAM to the CPU and also PCIE devices. With that in mind, I tested 4 different NUCS and they all behave similar (all of them had DRAM Frequency fluctuations) and I also tested a couple of third party laptops and they behave the same way.

If you are experiencing issues such as system unstable, please let me know but I think this behavior is normal.

I will be doing some more digging but I cant promise anything at this point.

Regards,

Ronny G

Ronny_G_Intel

I did some digging and asked around but I couldn't really get to any specific conclusion on this report.

I can tell you that I am having the same behavior in all devices I tested, I would recommend that if you are seeking for further details about how is the DRAM Frequency calculated to go and check directly with CPU-Z*.

Thanks,

Ronny G

wtfnub
Beginner

I'm also seeing this behaviour with my i7 8559u beh nuc.

2x16gb corsair modules and in cpuz the ram fluctuates between 665 - 1192 or so.

I put it down to the power saving features being a little to aggressive. I know that it's a small device, but we should still be able to manually set the clocks and voltages for the cpu and ram.

Did anyone manage to figure out what exactly is happening ? Is it just throttling or is it something else ?