cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC8i7BEH - Dual 4K capabilities, thunderbolt output & Linux

Hi all,

I want to buy a NUC8i7BEH with 32GB RAM and 1To M2 SSD.

I know there is one HDMI and one Thunderbolt 3 (through USB-C connector) and I have the following questions:

• Is this NUC ok to drive two 4K displays (3840x2160 - 60Hz)?
  • Can I plug one through HDMI and the other with an USB-C <--> DisplayPort cable?
  • Will it works with Ubuntu or other Linux distro?

Thanks for you answers

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

The answer is yes, but make sure that you choose one that actually says it supports 4K@60Hz (many do not).

Here is good one for DP: https://www.amazon.com/CAC-1507-DisplayPort-Adapter-Chromebook-Thunderbolt/dp/B018AX3HJO

Here is good one for HDMI: https://www.amazon.com/CAC-1507-DisplayPort-Adapter-Chromebook-Thunderbolt/dp/B016QO8186

As for Linux, I can't say as I haven't tried it. I only work with Windows.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello Mr n.scott.Pearson

I have a follow-up question about the dual display on a NUC NUC NUC8I7BEH with dual HDMI 2.0a and USB-C (DP1.2) outputs

then I connect two displays one via the hdmi port and the second via the USB-C port, the second display must be used mandatory with display-port cable. Or I can use a cable usb-c to hdmi also ?

sorry for aproximately translation french-english

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Ok, I will have to say a few things here...

• Intel's official position is that dongles and adapters are not supported. This is because, if problem(s) are being seen, the dongle/adapter itself could be the cause of these problem(s). I have found that, if you follow the You-get-what-you-pay-for rule and purchase good quality dongles/adapters, you usually won't have a problem with them. It may cost you a little bit more, but you usually avoid fighting quality issues.

• The Intel processors support three DisplayPort (DP) output streams. When a HDMI connector is provided, a LSPcon chip is used to perform the DP-to-HDMI protocol conversion. In the case of the USB-C connector, on the other hand, one of the DP output streams is provided unmodified. Now, you can use a USB-C-to-DP dongle (or cable) if your monitor supports DP, but if your monitor only supports HDMI, then your only option is to use a USB-C-to-HDMI adapter instead. This adapter will have a LSPcon chip of some sort built into it to support the DP-to-HDMI protocol conversion. Whether this adapter will support 4K@60Hz (versus only 4K@30Hz) and whether this adapter will support UHD will obviously be dependent upon the quality of the dongle (or cable) you purchase.

• In addition to the basic USB-C-to-DP dongles and USB-C-to-HDMI adapters, there are also adapters available that, though the inclusion of a MST Hub, will support USB-C-to-2xDP and USB-C-to-2xHDMI. That is, two independent monitors can be connected through the one USB-C connector and thus you could have three monitors total. There is a caveat: these two monitors would be sharing the throughput capability of one DP output stream. Still, this will allow you to use:

• two 1080p (1920x1080) monitors at up to 144Hz,
    • two 2K (2048x1080) monitors at up to 120Hz,
    • two 1440p (2560x1440) monitors at up to 76Hz,
    • two 2160p/4K (3840x2160) monitors at 30Hz.

• I mentioned the dual monitor possibility for good reason. If you want to support just two monitors now - but there is the possibility that you might want to use three monitors at some point in the near future, then it might be worthwhile to purchase one of these dual-monitor adapters now and completely avoid purchasing a single-monitor dongle/adapter. The dual-monitor adapters do not cost a lot more than the single-monitor adapters and they can be used with only a single monitor connected in the interim. Here are links to such dual-monitor adapters:

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello,

A very big thank you for both of your answers. So far, I'm really happy with the NUC.

I bought the NUC8I7BEH2 and drives my two 2160p monitors without problems (1 with HDMI & the other with USB-C to DP). According to xrandr, I have 60Hz with both them.

Have a good day

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello

Thank you so much Mr Pearson & Ahabr1

For your help and your quick answer

Regards

0 Kudos