Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
1newNUCuser
Beginner

NUC8i7BEH External USB DVD Burner Not Working

I recently purchased a new Intel NUC8i7BEH. I currently have Ubuntu 18.04 installed and it's working fantastic. However, I have an Apple USB SuperDrive that I would like to be able to use with the NUC to burn/read discs when needed. When I plug the SuperDrive into the front blue USB port, the drive is recognized but it acts as if it's not getting any power as it will not allow me to insert a disc. Is there a BIOS setting, or some other setting, I'm missing to power the SuperDrive? Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thank you.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I was not able to determine the power requirements of that drive, but here is the capabilities of the USB ports on the BE NUC:

• The Blue USB 3.0 ports on the front and back provide up to 900mA (4.5W) of power.
  • The Yellow USB 3.0 Charging port on the front provides up to 1.5A (7.5W) of power.
  • The USB-C (USB 3.2) port on the back also provides up to 1.5A (7.5W) of power.

Hope this helps,

...S

1newNUCuser
Beginner

I just tried the SuperDrive in the NUC's front yellow USB port and no joy. I'm definitely able to use a powered external USB DVD burner with no issues. Are the USB ports on the NUC powered at all times or is there a BIOS setting?

MikeBurrito
New Contributor I

Have you used it on another PC? I remember back when I had a SuperDrive for my Mac, when I plugged it into a PC it didn't work at all. A quick google search seems to indicate you need to install the drivers Apple supplies for Boot Camp in order to get it to work...maybe that is the issue? http://osxdaily.com/2018/02/25/use-apple-superdrive-windows/

EDIT: Sorry, I'm an idiot, missed that you're running Ubuntu. I'll leave this post for others though in case someone running Windows runs into a problem, maybe it will help them.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

There are parameters in BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS) that control whether the USB ports are powered in S3, S4 and S5, but if the system is booted and running, regardless of O/S, they should be powered.

...S

1newNUCuser
Beginner

I have seen the visual BIOS USB settings but wasn't sure if I was missing something. Thanks for the response. It's unfortunate I can't use the SuperDrive; very portable, compact and easy to use - at least on my other computers 😁 .

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @1newNUCuser,

1. The USB legacy Bios support is enabled by the Bios during POST and system boot process. Soon as the O.S. loads, the USB drivers, legacy and non-legacy USB devices are recognized by the Operating System and Legacy USB BIOS support is not longer used.
  2. Since Linux is not supported by Intel I suggest that you ask your question in Ubuntu forum.
  3. You may found some answer on the Net, "google" for example: "ubuntu 18.04 support for usb3" or "how to install usb 3.0 drivers ubuntu", ....

Leon