cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

NUC8i7BEH - Lenovo Dual Monitors HDMI+USB-C don't work

Hello Team,

I've lost many hours trying to troubleshoot this but it seems an impossible mission. I have two Lenovo L27m-28 monitors connected to my NUC8i7BEH. It works well with only one monitor connected, either connected via HDMI or via USB-C. The problem is when I have the two connected at the same time. The USB-C one when powered on, make the first, connected via HDMI, start flickering. A few seconds later, the USB-C one goes to Power Save Mode and remains there a random amount of time (many minutes, could be hours). When it seems to wake up, the screen remains black. Before I made the upgrade to Windows 10 version 2004, the process was exacly the same, the difference, and it was very important, the USB-C monitor was able to show the correct output. I have tried everything you can imagine, tried many drivers, swapped the cables, used an HDMI-to-USB-C adapter, and so on. I'm out of ideas. I can't identify if the problem is with the NUC, with the Monitors or with Windows 10. It seems it's the operating system but I don't have anything to prove it. Maybe this is some incompatibility issue, I don't know. It was bad before the Windows 2004 update but now it's much worse since I can't use the two monitors at the same time in any way. Any help and pointers are highly appreciated. While I was writing this, I recorded a small video showing the problem. The left monitor is the HDMI and the right one is the USB-C. The USB-C in the meanwhile recovered but remained black.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ahjvh5d0MhNShnl9ndNMQXOu92B9?e=tq2wts

Thanks.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Highlighted

Hello ASoar12

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please provide the following information?

1- How many Intel® NUCs do you have that are affected by this behavior?

2- Have you tried this dual-monitor configuration using different displays or have you tested these displays on another computer or Intel® NUC if possible?

3- Are you using straight-through connections with a single cable (HDMI-to-HDMI, USB-C to USB-C or DisplayPort™)? Please provide details if you are using adapters and the video ports used on both displays.

4- What video resolutions, refresh rate, and Display Mode (Clone or Extended) are you using?

5- Please provide a Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers following the steps on the below link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics-drivers.html

6- Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system.

6.1- Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

6.2- Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".

6.3- To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

6.4- To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for your support. Here are my answers:

1) Just one NUC.

2) I just have these two Lenovo L27m-28 monitors.

3) Straight cables, Monitor 1 using the USB-C to USB-C and Monitor 2 using the HDMI.

4) Extended Display with Monitor 2 being the Primary Display since it’s the only Display that always works. Diaplay 1 is at 1920x1080@60p and Display 2 is at 1920x1080@60p.

5) Attached files with one and two monitors connected.

6) Attached files with one and two monitors connectd.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello ASoar12

Thank you for your response.

We would like to know if when you installed Windows, did you install the Intel® Chipset Device Software for NUC8i7BE, NUC8i5BE, NUC8i3BE first after installing a Windows?

Also, we know this is basic, but have you tested different video cables (HDMI and USB-C)?

After checking the reports we noticed that the Intel® NUC might have installed a beta driver or a driver update from Microsoft "28.20.100.8322", in this case, we would like to recommend a clean install of the graphics driver, please follow the steps above:

1- Download the latest graphics driver for the Intel® NUC Version: 26.20.100.8141 and save it on the computer.

2- Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update.

3- Uninstall the Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics 655 driver from Windows® >> Apps and Features. (if applicable).

4- Restart the computer.

5- Confirm in Device Manager >> Video/Display Adapters the controller is listed as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" >> if not, repeat steps 3 through 4 until you get to the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter".

6- If the adapter continues to be listed as "Intel HD Graphics", "Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics" or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under "Programs and Features" for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager:

6.1- Right-click on “Intel HD Graphics” or similar, and select “Uninstall Device”.

6.2- In the pop-up window make sure “Delete the driver software for this device” is checked.

6.3- Click on “Uninstall”.

6.4- Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1 through 6.4 until the device gets listed as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter").

7- Install the graphics driver that was downloaded in step 1.

8- Restart the computer.

9- Reconnect to the Internet.

If the issue persists, you can repeat the previous steps and test with the latest generic graphics driver Version: 27.20.100.8280.

Also, you can install the HDMI Firmware Update Tool for Intel® NUC8i3BE, NUC8i5BE, NUC8i7BE

driver for the Intel® NUC.

Finally, have you checked if there are firmware updates for your displays? You can check this further with the display manufacturer Lenovo™.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hello Andrew,

Steps taken:

1) removed driver 8141 (it was previously installed by Windows update)

2) reboot

3) installed Intel Chipset Device Software

4) reboot

5) installed driver 8141 downloaded from intel

6) reboot

Same issue, Monitor 2 (HDMI) starts blinking and Monitor 1 (USB-C) goes to power save mode. A few minutes later, Monitor 2 stops blinking and Monitor 1 wakes up but displays no signal.

Now the most incredible thing I saw in a good amount of time !!!

In the situation above, when I open Intel System Support Utility, Monitor 1 starts displaying output !!! Everything starts working !!!

Please see this video:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ahjvh5d0MhNShnrbPX-acVxHEjhy?e=ZhcjTJ

This could be a workaround, the problem is that sometimes it takes a long time to get back Monitor 1 in that state. Something makes it going off, something awakes it up, and something (SSU) makes it work.

This is a nice puzzle Waiting for your comments.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello ASoar12

Thank you for your response and all the details provided.

Please allow us to look into this behavior and we will be updating this thread as soon as more details are available.

Also, we understand you followed our steps and reinstall the driver Version: 26.20.100.8141. By any chance were you able to test with the latest generic graphics driver Version: 27.20.100.8280. Was the behavior the same?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hello Andrew,

Yes, I tried 8280 and also 8322 with the same results. I noticed that 8336 is now available but I will wait for your reply.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello ASoar12

Thank you for your response.

Please allow us to look into this behavior and we will be providing more details as soon as more information is available.

Also, if you can try the latest graphics version 27.20.100.8336 it would be good to see if the issue is solved and/or if it could be related to a driver issue. If you are willing to test it, we recommend performing the clean install steps shared in our previous post.

Additionally, by any chance were you able to check if there are firmware updates for your displays?

Please let us know the outcome or if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hello Andrew,

Installed 8336 and the behavior is exactly the same. Intel SSU stills works as an workaround. There are not other monitor drivers available.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello ASoar12, Thank you very much for letting us know those updates.

We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi ASoar12,

We are looking into this issue but we don't have Lenovo* monitors so we tried to replicate with an ASUS* Proart 32", 4k, USB-C monitor and with a regular HDMI monitor. We are not getting any flickering or other issues with the displays.

Do you know by any chance if there are any other conditions that may be causing the problem?

How are the monitors configured? Extended or mirrored?

Thanks,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hello Ronny,

It would be better to test with two identical monitors.

I have "extend these displays" configuration.

I have to configure the HDMI as the primary display.

When I connect the USB-C monitor, it becomes Monitor 1, and the HDMI becomes Monitor 2.

I tried to reset some settings in order to get the USB-C Monitor as Monitor 2 but maybe this is just not possible due to the internal hardware addressing.

The problem happens from day 1, somewehre in March. Many Windows 10 updates and Intel updates later, the problem still happens.

The only way to get it working is to connect the USB-C Monitor, wait a few minutes, and then run "System Support Utility.exe". This way both monitors work together. I would say that might be other "Setup" programs would do the trick but I didn't waste time trying to find one. It seems some kind of administrator setting is released when SSU is run. This should lead to the problem resolution.

Thanks.

Highlighted

Hello ASoar12

Thank you for your response and for all the details.

Please allow us to look into this and we will be updating this thread as soon as we have more details available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi ASoar12,

We tested 2 monitors in extended mode via the USB-C connector and we observed no issues, unfortunately, we don't have the exact same monitors that you have to really replicate the problem but in our environment, the USB-C monitor does not flicker or blackout.

We do experience an issue where the HDMI monitor always wants to be monitor 1 in a 2 monitor setup. 

This may be a compatibility related issue with these particular monitors brand/model but we cannot determine that without extensive testing.

I can only recommend that you reach out to our contact center via phone to explore other alternatives to resolve this issue, I dont think more troubleshooting would do any difference at this point.

Here is our "contact us" information: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@8 please make sure that you select your appropriate region and make reference to case number 4708030.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hello Ronny,

Thank you for the feedback. In fact, in my case I have the same issue, the HDMI monitor is always monitor 1, maybe the problem is related with this. Maybe the USB-C monitor has issues synchronizing with the HDMI monitor. Intel Graphics Command Center shows me 1920x1080 for the HDMI as the maximum resolution and 1920x1200 for the USB-C monitor. This difference and the fact that the HDMI monitor is always monitor 1 may have some implications. If nothing else can be done, just close this case.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello ASoar12

Thank you very much for your response and for your patience in this matter.

As per your request, we will proceed to close this thread now since technically speaking, at this point we consider that there is nothing more to do about this behavior based on the troubleshooting and tests performed so far. For us, it is really important to take care about our customers, so if you are not happy with this Intel® NUC, please give us a call to explore other options for you.

Here is our "contact us" information: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@8

Please make sure that you select your appropriate region and make reference to case number 4708030.

Also, please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel®.

Sincerely,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos