Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeBurrito
New Contributor I

NUC8i7BEH Network latency after waking from standby

Running Windows 10 1809 I'm noticing that no matter what drivers I run, when I wake the system from standby, my network latency is all over the place and I get packet loss until I either toggle the network connection or physically unplug it and plug it back in. This is using "Modern Standby" in the BIOS and the OS was installed fresh AFTER this setting was enabled.

This is my 2nd NUC8i7BEH unit, the first one blew it's power supply and I did NOT have this issue with it. Once I received the replacement, initially I transferred over the SSD and left the Windows install as-is. I thought my problems could be due to it booting up once on the old BIOS 41 out of the box with Modern Standby disabled. So I did a clean install of Windows 10 1809.

I've also tried every permutation possible of NIC drivers. I used the Microsoft provided drivers initially (which seem to match the version Intel calls for), I then tried the latest I219-V drivers version 23.5 and finally the specific NUC drivers version 23.2. I've also tried disabling Energy Efficient Ethernet on each version of the drivers, which seems to be the cause of similar problems.

At this point I'm probably going to RMA the unit again as I suspect a hardware problem, my original unit did not do this and I did not have to fiddle around with any settings. I've also tested with two different switches just to rule that out.

I'm really just posting for others to reference, or maybe miraculously someone will have a solution to my problem, but it is really starting to seem like hardware. Also, my original unit was on BIOS 51, so I even tested rolling this one back from 56 to 51 to rule that out. No difference.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello MikeBurrito Thank you for posting in the Intel Community. • Have you tested the NUC on a different network connection? • Does this behavior happen on wireless connection? • Does this behavior happen on other devices? • In order to help you better, I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have on the computer. Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility • Steps to save the report: 1- Run the utility. 2- Click on “Scan” to get the scanned system. 3- Once the scan is complete click on “next”. 4- Use the “save” option, save the report to your desktop. 5- To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box. Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
MikeBurrito
New Contributor I

I have tested on two different switches and tested with different cables, no it does not happen on other PCs on the network. I don't think it happens on wireless, I haven't tested it much on wireless because I have no interest in using wireless on this NUC.

I've got a replacement unit coming tomorrow, so I'll be doing further testing once I receive that one.

Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello MikeBurrito Thank you for the information. Let us know the outcome of the testing. Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
MikeBurrito
New Contributor I

Swapped my drives and RAM into the new unit, so far so good. No latency/packet loss when waking up from standby. Manually put it into standby and woke it up about 3 times, then let it go to standby on its own and came back over an hour later, still good. Looks like it was a hardware issue with the previous unit.

Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello MikeBurrito Thank you for the information, I am glad to know that the behavior was fixed with the replacement of the Intel® NUC. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation