Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11282 Discussions

NUC8i7BEH and Android OS

JurgenNucMiniPc
Beginner
Dears,
I am interested to run different OS in my NUC8i7BEH, and one of them prefer Android OS for Pc with full features, especially using for some media player features with good quality. When I run a test the Antutu Benchmark Test it doesn't finish and calculate the GPU test on Antutu V7 and V8. It does only Antutu V6 as a full test. Is it related to the GPU that NUC8i7BEH has because even on the Bluestacks runing on Windows 10 it happens the same. If yes can I make installations and modifications on it, like BIOS upgrade or installations, without affecting also other Operating Systems that I would like to install later like Windows etc. ?
0 Kudos
1 Solution
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @JurgenNucMiniPc

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Regarding your inquiry, It is worth mentioning that for this Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i7BEH at this point only Windows® 10 has been validated as a supported operating system (OS).

Please refer to the following link for more information:

Not validated operating systems may or may not work on this Intel® NUC.

In addition, we cannot guarantee that third-party apps will work on the Intel® NUC and the recommendation is to check with the app developers to confirm if it is running based on the recommended system and hardware requirements.

Nevertheless, we would like to look into this behavior. So we can better check this, could you please provide the following information?

1- Are you planning to install the Android* OS as a bootable OS? Maybe in a dual-boot configuration with Windows? Or are you planning to install it on a virtual machine or in "Emulation Mode"?

2- Is this the software* that you are running? ANTUTU* benchmark >> https://www.antutu.com/en/index.htm

It seems this is a software to test Android* devices like smartphones. Is this correct? (Perhaps it is not designed to be run on Mini-PCs?). Please provide more details.

3- How are you running this software (ANTUTU* benchmark)? Please provide step-by-step instructions for replication purposes and please elaborate more on where on the tests you experienced any issues or crashes. If possible, please share a short video or screenshots showing these steps and behavior.

4- What do you want to check, confirm, test, and/or achieve by running the ANTUTU benchmark on the Intel® NUC?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @JurgenNucMiniPc

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Regarding your inquiry, It is worth mentioning that for this Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i7BEH at this point only Windows® 10 has been validated as a supported operating system (OS).

Please refer to the following link for more information:

Not validated operating systems may or may not work on this Intel® NUC.

In addition, we cannot guarantee that third-party apps will work on the Intel® NUC and the recommendation is to check with the app developers to confirm if it is running based on the recommended system and hardware requirements.

Nevertheless, we would like to look into this behavior. So we can better check this, could you please provide the following information?

1- Are you planning to install the Android* OS as a bootable OS? Maybe in a dual-boot configuration with Windows? Or are you planning to install it on a virtual machine or in "Emulation Mode"?

2- Is this the software* that you are running? ANTUTU* benchmark >> https://www.antutu.com/en/index.htm

It seems this is a software to test Android* devices like smartphones. Is this correct? (Perhaps it is not designed to be run on Mini-PCs?). Please provide more details.

3- How are you running this software (ANTUTU* benchmark)? Please provide step-by-step instructions for replication purposes and please elaborate more on where on the tests you experienced any issues or crashes. If possible, please share a short video or screenshots showing these steps and behavior.

4- What do you want to check, confirm, test, and/or achieve by running the ANTUTU benchmark on the Intel® NUC?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

View solution in original post

JurgenNucMiniPc
Beginner
Dears,

Thank you for the support.
Please allow me a bit more time to collect the data, making some screenshots and videos and I will upload also with additional information regarding this question

Kind regards

Jurgeni
AndrewG_Intel

Hello JurgenNucMiniPc

Thank you for your response. Sure, there is no problem. Please take your time and we will be waiting for you to provide the information requested so we can move forward.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello JurgenNucMiniPc

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. If you need more time to gather the information requested please let us know. Kindly provide a date if you have a preferred follow-up schedule.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

JurgenNucMiniPc
Beginner
Dears,
I am grateful for your support, despite what case it is
I am writting what is about related to your 4 questions. I have included even some images and a video showing a comparison what are the results on my old laptop and what happens to the new NUC8i7BEH.

1- Yes already I have Windows 10 installed and looks to have a great performance, and also I would like to have installed Android OS for some apps that I am going to use on this operating system. I would prefer more running natively like Android OS, Bliss OS, Prime OS than as an emulator like Bluestacks because doing so I can extract all the performance of computer
2- Yes you are correct it is about Antutu Benchmark app that tests the performance in Android OS and IOS.
I have also an outdated laptop Dell Latitude 3340 prety old now than runs very good Android OS mentioned above and apps like Antutu Benchmark. My laptop completes all the test including the GPU part of Antutu Benchmark and although it is old doesn't have any issues.
3- After installing this app on the Android OS installed on the SSD drive on my NUC8i7BEH it doesn't continue the GPU test if it is Antutu Benchmark Version 7. It starts the teest but graphics behave not right and after the 1st part of the test it will stuck in the loading image. Something it is not ok with the GPU test because even in the video that I have uoload it is shown. Or if you try many times stopping and startimg the test it can skip the GPU test with videos and continues with the rest. In this case scores 0 points for GPU. And it runs only CPU, User experience and RAM Memory test. While with Antutu Benchmark 6 that it is older version it is fine, completes all the test. With my laptop with low performance and older it completes in all cases. While NUC8i7BEH even running natively the Android OS and even as an emulator on Windows 10 Bluestacks it has the same result. While the old laptop in both cases works fine
4- Antutu Benchmark doesn't have any importance for me, NUC8i7BEH is a multipurpose device that I can do many things in Windows 10 and even in Android OS that I have installed. RAM capabilities and CPU that it has are great and I would not change this computer for years. But the point that I am referring to this test has to do with GPU part. I mean it looks that I am not extracting the full potential of the NUC8i7BEH like something isn't working ok with GPU in terms of compatibility and performance. As I know Antutu 6 and 7 version are different and test differently the GPU in terms of elements like OpenGL 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2 and Vulkan. Something like that because I don't have the right information regarding this elements. But as I know this affect in terms of media player and gaming. It isn't the end of the world, however I would like that my new NUC8i7BEH to be capable like my old laptop and even more even for this features like OpenGL 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2 and Vulkan ( the last one it is not even in my old laptop, by the research ). It is like NUC8i7BEH doesn't have some new features. Regarding these is it something that can be done in my computers like installations, upgrade, software, BIOS etc? What modifiactions or upgrade should I do that the GPU can have access to this features. Through Antutu Benchmark I noticed this situation but I don't need Antutu Benchmark it at all I am interested for the performance of apps on Android OS. I am interested to extract all the potential of NUC8i7BEH, don't need that at all for Antutu Benchmark but I need for media server or gaming apps to have the best performance and graphical features or performance while I am using it.
Even if it is not solved still is fine. I don’t change for nothing Intel products and until now you are one of the best brands for the support that has been provided, because you are available always.

* I have uploaded some images and a video. First photo shows my old laptop running Prime OS and where Antutu version 7 is completed and having all the scores.
The rest of images and video are for NUC8i7BEH running also Prime OS and trying to run Antutu version 7 that doesn't complete the test.
First image with 0% is the start of the test, next comes the video that it is not full because can not upload large size, where the graphics are not behaving right. And the next image that is after the video, shows where the test stuck and doesn't continue.
I have used Prime OS because with NUC8i7BEH looks to be more stable and working ok when I test Antutu version 6. Antutu version 7 doesn't make GPU test (please consider the difference between these mentioned above if something in NUC8i7BEH should upgrade or update like Drivers, BIOS).
I choosed Prime OS for photo video testing attached and didn't run the tests in Android OS native or the Bliss OS because in these NUC8i7BEH behaves more strange. In Bliss OS doesn't have internet connection at all, even ethernet even wifi. And also in Antutu version 7 doesn't complete the test. While my old laptop works prety well with Bliss OS.
With Android OS native it doesn't work wifi and also the Antutu version 7 doesn't complete the test. Even here my old laptop works very well.

This is information regarding the testing and most importantly the explanation what I am interested for. I don't need at all Antutu Benchmark Test. I am only interested in performance extracting all of it from NUC8i7BEH, that normally should work better than my old laptop Dell Latitude 3340.

The 4 points explain what is about this case that it is open

For everything else that you need please let me know.

Kind regards

AndrewG_Intel

Hello @JurgenNucMiniPc

Thank you very much for your response and for all the very detailed information provided. We also appreciate your feedback.

Please allows us to take a look into this and as soon as we have more details available we will be posting back in the thread.

In the meantime, we would like to share the following details:

The Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i7BEH does support updated capabilities of OpenGL*, Vulkan, etc. This Intel® NUC comes with Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics 655 which supports OpenGL* 4.6 and Vulkan* 1.2.

Intel Graphics controllers support a wide range of APIs and the Intel Graphics driver helps to get full API Support, hence, the recommendation is installing the latest graphics driver on your system.

It is important to note that OpenGL*, OpenCL*, and Vulkan* drivers must be installed separately, and are only distributed with the game or application that requires it.

For more information, please refer to this link: Supported APIs for Intel® Graphics Controllers

However, since only Windows® 10 has been validated for this Intel® NUC, we don't' provide drivers for other operating systems like Android/PrimeOS*. We understand you mentioned that you have great performance on Windows. Having said that, this could be an Operating system issue or a specific app issue. To exhaust all options, we recommend checking with the support team of Android, PrimeOS, Bliss OS for additional drivers for your system.

We might not guarantee proper functionality when running non-validated operating systems (OS) or when running them using an emulator software. Nevertheless, we will check this further and post it back in the thread as soon as we have more details to share.

Note:

We do have a tool for Windows® 10 to test and verify that both the processor and the GPU (Graphics Processing Unite) are fine. You can run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and make sure that the Graphics test (GPUStressW) is performed.

You can download the proper version of the tool (32 or 64 bit) by using the link above.

You can share the report with us. To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello @JurgenNucMiniPc

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

As we previously explained, we have only tested Windows® 10 with this Intel® NUC. After reviewing this further; unfortunately, we are not able to assist with this type of validation or combination (meaning this Intel® NUC with those Operating Systems/Applications) due to we have neither validated/tested those operating systems/Apps nor we plan to do it at this point since we don't have resources available to test or debug Android* operating systems on this particular system.

In this case, and since you mentioned the system works fine on Windows*, we recommend going back to the support team of those operating systems or look for information on an Android/PC community/forum.

Having said that, we will proceed to close this inquiry now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Andrew G.