Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MCP
Beginner

NUC8i7BEH doesn't recognize mSATA enclosure from Blue USB

When i connect a "VLI mSATA-to-USB 3.1" enclosure to any USB on NUC8 other than the orange charging port, upon boot it hangs immediately at the Intel logo. After a minute or so, i get this error message, "BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempt(s)."

I have to disconnect or plug the enclosure into the orange USB. After boot this enclosure is only recognized from the orange USB port. The same enclosure behaves normally in all ports of NUC7i5BNK and MacBook Pro.

For NUC8i7BEH, why is the available power for both blue and orange USB 3.1 ports only 500 mA, whereas on NUC7 it is as expected at 900 mA? Is this causing the mSATA enclosure not to be recognized?

NUC7 orange USB:

NUC7-Orange.png

NUC7 blue USB:

NUC7-Blue.png

NUC8 orange USB:

NUC8_Orange.png

NUC8 blue USB:

NUC8_Blue.png

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

On both models, you should be seeing 900mA on the Blue connectors and 1500mA on the Orange connectors. It looks like this controller is asking for too much current at power on for it to be used on the Blue connectors.

...S

MCP
Beginner

That would be consistent with the behavior i am seeing, though this mSATA enclosure is working without issues across all USB ports on NUC7 and MacBook Pro (USB 2, image below).

I can use the orange connector, but curious if anyone knew of a new spec with NUC8 USB connectors that makes it not play well with certain devices. I didn't see in the BIOS ability to confirm and/or change the power output.

MacBook Pro, USB 2:

MacBookPro_USB2.png

n_scott_pearson

I forgot to mention - the USB 3.1 port (the one with the USB-C connector) also provides 1500mA.

Why is your adapter sucking so much power? I have a mSATA-to-USB3.0 adapter that works great, even if plugged into a USB 2.0 port (which only provides 500mA). Obviously, there are no true USB 2.0 ports external to the NUC, but even so, there are no issues with any of the external USB ports on my BE NUC.

I wonder, is the issue the result of the peak power requirements of the adapter at power on?

MCP
Beginner

Well, as i said in the original post, this adapter works perfectly fine in MacBookPro USB 2 (500 mA) and NUC7 USB 3 (900mA) and NUC8 orange connector. Just not in NUC8 "non-orange" connectors.

I have no idea how to interpret the voltages in the images. I agree that they are highly suspect. Maybe someone knows if there is something in BIOS settings needs to be checked or changed. In any case, appreciate the comments.

n_scott_pearson

I am not sure. I purchased a pair of dongles (one USB 2.0 and one USB 3.0) that provide a display of the voltage and current information.

If you really think that the USB ports are not providing the expected current, you can always contact Intel Customer Support and request a replacement unit...

...S

MCP
Beginner

There is a firmware update for this mSATA 3.1 USB adapter. Perhaps some incompatibility with the 3.1 900 mA connectors? If that doesn't work, will try another adapter of similar performance. If that fails, will raise support request as suggested.

The manufacture, Via Labs, Inc (VLI), has obtained USB-IF certification for this product. Anyone know if NUC8 USB connectors are also certified by the same standard? I'm surprised at the narrow list of 'tested and compatible' devices for such a universal interface.