Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

NUC8i7BEH has issues booting after upgrading BIOS. Can't downgrade or recover BIOS. (RESOLVED!)

UPDATE: resetting the video aperture size back to stock has completely fixed this issue for me.

As is my habit, I upgraded the UEFI BIOS on my NUC after installing windows on it. The BIOS update went fine, but after the reboot, the system wouldn't come back up. Eventually, I saw the error to reset the settings or continue with the previous settings, but my keyboard wouldn't work - NO usb devices worked!

I've tried everything I can find to get this working again. I've tried downgrading back to the original BIOS that shipped with the machine using VisualBIOS, the power menu, or the jumper. Every time, I see the following on my display:

QzefuaCsXJhDmaJustQyqPkEK10PxWfy8usgNASWrpuRHYVoUEhaWP7zrzvbK_F73zGk7oyGB-A7muTxoksWVOoU3KgV4FS0--eAKmzApbIymRUQUA5ebEIXBqjeQ8ldoKkFmOee95I4i9q2ToEO58hrHNFhevKoSinH_qFBJ47Hx1FG3GlvNSyaUMkZpTEaMYY23A_dDXa-NS9tJySVLk0LdJbJh1cB.jpg

The activity LED on the display blinks amber about once every other second or so for about a minute to 30 seconds, then the machine reboots to a similar screen, with an error message of which I can only read the last line:

mCat6psytBcLB53fZv_7ulncub2DXQjXAZSlTZQPWhE_aYQWpi0ddodfQaESlPpMQ1QKYmcnObFbyGGDCO8Ye5CFoAcdhfu8yb3e9vbVAQocHQvhoe2n86fjS2bvkOQh49uvnPzNl47jKXLqXx5cFLGPlXVUgCJ2RWQElO1sA9Vp7puOY3Lj86DZvgh-Ii_FJ0yI6JaVJQdPsxTkAq8BvoXydT-3yhp8.jpg

At this time, I can do nothing to the computer except shut it down and try again.

Here's the weird thing: I can boot into Windows if I go into the F10 boot menu (via the power menu), and everything's fine until the machine reboots again.

I've tried flashing the older version via Visual Bios. I've tried flashing it via F7. I haven't tried via a UEFI shell, but I don't have linux on the computer currently.

Finally, I *have* reset the BIOS to defaults and saved, but still the same thing.

I wanted this to be a christmas present for my husband, but it's looking like I'm going to be asking for an RMA if I can't get it working. I would expect that there'd be an easier solution, but I'm just not finding it.

Thanks in advance.

8 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

1. If you still can enter Bios settings, please disable the Secure Boot and Fast Boot settings. If you can't enter Bios, try do this from Power Button Menu.
  2. Recover your Bios with the latest version BE0056.bio https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28394/BIOS-Update-BECFL357-86A-?product=126140 . Use the recovery method with the Bios Security Jumper Removed: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Thank you for the suggestions Leon. I was able to get into the bios by way of the power button menu when I posted this. However, I was unable to recover anything due to the graphics irregularities shown in the screenshots I provided. The problem was, however, resolved when I tried going back to standard settings and gave it a go without any modifications. The culprit? My graphics aperture size. I'd set this to 2048mb and that was apparently too much for the system to handle. I've decided to leave this set to stock (256mb) for the time being. Let's call this a lesson in what not to do with your BIOS settings without reading the documentation in full. :-D
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hello ISter1

In your first post you wrote: "Finally, I *have* reset the BIOS to defaults and saved, but still the same thing." So, I've concluded that setting bios to default didn't help. I'm glad that it finally help and you have a Christmas present for your husband 😄 .

My advise is to leave default video memory settings in bios as is. Those settings are used only by bios during boot process and before O.S. takes over (to display logo, boot menu, UEFI bios ...) and they don't have affect how much video memory is used by Windows. If you will increase those value, it will only reserve more RAM for bios and leave less memory for your needs.

In this system (with Intel Integrated Graphics and Windows 10), the amount of video memory is assigned automatically by Windows 10. Maximum it is half of your RAM memory.

More detailed explanation you can read under this link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000020962.html Frequently Asked Questions for Intel® Graphics Memory on Windows® 10

You can see how much Total Available Graphics Memory you have in your system. To do this open the Advanced Display Setting and then the Display adapter properties.

Hope this helps

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

@ISter1​ You aren't the only one with this problem. My NUC8i5BEH is doing the exact same thing. I have 16GB of RAM, so this is ridiculous. I want there to be a 2GB memory aperture for video, this box is set up for HTPC use. With 8GB of RAM or more, I cannot see how there would be any issue with setting a 2GB aperture.

The 0048 BIOS worked fine aside from some HDMI-CEC issues, so I upgraded to this BIOS. I am having the exact video corruption issues described here. I have tried going to a single 8GB memory module instead of two 8GB ones, and I have tried switching between my two memory modules to make sure it isn't a bad memory module; the same video corruption happens either way if the Aperture size is not set to default.

I also have a second issue. Assuming I've reset the aperture to its minimum, my system boots -some of the time. Other times, my system is not booting from the M.2 SSD slot I am using; it boots once, then hangs on the next boot until I set the BIOS to default again (even when not having made changes) -this has only happened after the 0056 upgrade. Using a basic (older) Samsung non-Nvme M.2 SSD. Secure Boot and Fast Boot are disabled and have never been turned on.

I can get to VisualBIOS just fine from Recovery mode every time no issues, no video corruption. This tells me there is something not right with the 0056 BIOS at time of POST (this issue happens long before the Windows bootloader). I have re-downloaded the 0056 BIOS (to ensure no CRC issues), and flashed it again; this has not resolved the issue. Unfortunately, I cannot back down to BIOS 0048 either; it fails every time, be it from recovery mode or otherwise. I would love to go back to 0048 at this point and can't. I don't think there's anything wrong with my hardware; I think there is an issue with this firmware.

I would strongly discourage others from updating to the 0056 BIOS. It has the potential to cause more trouble than it is worth, and I'm unsure how an issue this serious could have escaped past final QA testing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I was able to get things to boot when setting the aperture size to 1gb, but in the end I just left it as default. It was the only setting I'd really changed from default, and the only one that had a detrimental effect on my boot process. If you're using windows for your HTPC OS, you should set it back to default and let the OS manage the VRAM.

Regarding downgrading, you'll need a FAT32 USB stick to drop the .BIO file onto (in the root of the stick) and I would suggest using the power-button menu and select F4 for recovery. After I'd changed the aperture size back to stock, this option worked well for me and restored the 041 bios just fine. I did end up flashing to 056 and since leaving the aperture alone, everything is working great on the box now.

Highlighted
Novice

@LSter1​ , that's exactly what I did for the downgrade, doing F4 for recovery to attempt going to 0048. Unfortunately, halfway through the process (I would find the file, and upgrade would begin successfully), I'd get an "Upgrade Failed" message, and the system would reboot on 0056.

I will try seeing if resetting to stock stock settings will bring me back to 0041 or 0048 (which I'm going to consider my "best version" for now) without failure, and I'll report back. I'm glad things are working well for you on 0056, but I'm definitely going to consider this a bug, even if it has a workaround, also because of the M.2 issues I've had, which it seems you (fortunately) haven't experienced.

Thank you for your reply.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I was finally able to do a successful flash to 0048 in Recovery mode. Previously, I could not; the system told me to replace the security jumper, reboot, and try again.

My system is now stable again, and I can set the aperture size to whatever I want. For now, I’m skipping the 0056 BIOS.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I may have to give 048 a shot then. You had the same issue with 051?

0 Kudos