Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MLevi
Valued Contributor I

NUC8i7H*K BIOS 0050

Jump to solution

Updated from 0049 to 0050

Rebooted, back to BIOS, load defaults

Verify that cooling is set to "Normal" (balanced)

Reboot

First thing I notice is the "747 takeoff" fan speed is back (circa ~0040). This is a problem.

On booting to Windows 10 it sounds as if the fans are at max speed for at least 1 minute - then drop off.

I rebooted again, went into BIOS and verified settings are "default". Restarted, and same thing, the huge spike in fan speed while loading Windows.

I consider this BIOS version a fail, based on the problem with fan speeds on boot.

I'm reverting to BIOS 0049.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MLevi
Valued Contributor I

I updated BIOS again after reverting to 0049 and re-installed BIOS 0050. Double checked default fan settings.

Right out of the gate, the fan started to spin up like a 747 again (when I reverted back to 0049, there was none of that nonsense).

I then updated the latest Intel graphics driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28180/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=130409 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10

Guess what ... no more problem

So I think there may be a connection between the two. Emphasis on "think" and "may" - because I don't know, only guessing.

The symptoms went away so I'm a happy camper but in the dark about any relationship between the two.

Mike

View solution in original post

14 Replies
AlHill
Super User

I just updated to 0050 on my NUC8i7HVKVA.

After the update, I load defaults, and checked the cooling, which was "Balanced".

I booted to Windows, and noticed no (or very little) difference in fan speed/noise

Doc

idata
Community Manager

Again

MLevi
Valued Contributor I

I updated BIOS again after reverting to 0049 and re-installed BIOS 0050. Double checked default fan settings.

Right out of the gate, the fan started to spin up like a 747 again (when I reverted back to 0049, there was none of that nonsense).

I then updated the latest Intel graphics driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28180/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=130409 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10

Guess what ... no more problem

So I think there may be a connection between the two. Emphasis on "think" and "may" - because I don't know, only guessing.

The symptoms went away so I'm a happy camper but in the dark about any relationship between the two.

Mike

View solution in original post

RBell1
Novice

Do you know what the latest Intel graphics driver is for nuc8i7hnk? The latest I have is 24.20.100.6229 and display audio driver 10.25.0.9. Are Windows 10 1809 and BIOS 0050 copacetic with these?

AlHill
Super User

Clink on downloads and software here: https://ark.intel.com/products/126141/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC8i7HNK Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i7HNK Product Specifications

Doc

hubick
New Contributor II

I upgraded to 0050, loaded defaults, set to balanced, and have no noticeable difference in fan noise.

I've updated to the 18.9.1 AMD driver, but haven't updated my Intel drivers in some months.

AlHill
Super User

Update the Intel graphics driver.

Doc

hubick
New Contributor II

Al, that comes across rather rude.

As it turns out, I just did a clean update to the Intel 'win64_25.20.100.6323.exe' bundle and reinstalled the AMD 18.9.1 driver.

It appears to be running OK at first glance (I can see things), and still no change in my fan operation. (now to go test /thread/128432 VR)

AlHill
Super User

Look at post # 3 in this thread.

Doc

hubick
New Contributor II

Yes, and the purpose of my post was to say that I upgraded to 0050 without upgrading the Intel driver and did not have problems.

It's not precisely clear what was done when, but my suggestion is to make sure to always load defaults in the BIOS after upgrading it.

AlHill
Super User

So, everything is ok at this point?

Doc

hubick
New Contributor II

Yes, my fan has been operating fine before and after the 0050 upgrade, and then before and after the Intel driver upgrade.

My point was that the BIOS worked for me, may work for others, and that the Intel driver upgrade may not be the entire story.

hubick
New Contributor II

So, I bought a second NUC8i7HVK (home+work), and upgraded it directly to BIOS 0051, reset to defaults, and it's making substantially more fan noise than my first unit. Not quite jet engine, but still rather annoying :-(

I've tried resetting the BIOS to defaults again and changing fan profiles several times, all to no avail.

I'm also running Linux now, and have the intel iGPU disabled, so using the latest Intel Windows Graphics drivers to fix it isn't really an option for me.

Should I attempt to downgrade from BIOS 0051 to 0044, then back up to 0048, 0050 and finally back to 0051, as recommended here: ?

JKolo
Beginner

I just bought my first NUC8 yesterday and noticed that it was quite loud. I had booting problems when I first installed hardware, but the very first thing I did after getting it to POST on screen was to update the BIOS to 051. I too noticed that the fans ran quite a bit for simple tasks like loading a browser with 3 tabs yet would hardly run at all while playing Overwatch on Ultra a 2K 100FPS settings.

I took the advice of this thread and just rolled back to 049, did not do any setting defaults, and my fans are not running now. When Windows booted, they spooled up, but NOWHERE near as loud as they were. I found this thread because I'm having another problem that's bigger than fan noise, but I don't want to hijack this thread.