Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MSerg3
Beginner

NUC8i7HNK doesn't boot from USB

I have an USB drive with UEFI OS image and successfully installed OS using it.

But when I tried to boot from this USB drive for the next time it just gone from boot menu and from list of bootable devices in visual bios.

I used the front panel USB to install OS but after that I've tried to use some of USB ports on back panel and after several attempts ALL of my usb ports stopped to recognise USB boot drive.

But ports itself are working fine. When I boot into OS peripheral works fine and I can even access data on the pen drive attached to the front panel USB.

Also usb keyboard and mouse connected to same ports working fine in Visual BIOS. So this is not a hardware issue I guess.

BIOS version is 0049.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Once you have an O/S installed onto a drive, it is normal for USB devices to not appear to be bootable any longer. To make this possible, you need to do one of two things:

1. If you always want a bootable USB device to be booted automatically, you need to go into BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS) and edit the Boot Order to have the USB device entry ahead of (moved above) the entry for the drive you installed the O/S to. I don't think you want it to actually work this way, however, so look at option 2.
  2. At BIOS POST, you can choose what device you want it should boot from by pressing F10. In this case, it will bring up a dialog that lets you pick the device you desire to boot from.

Hope this helps,

...S

MSerg3
Beginner

As I already mentioned in question: it just gone from boot menu and from list of bootable devices in visual bios

So the problem is not about "to boot from usb using boot menu" and to get USB device back since I can't access it anymore.

Boot drive is fine because I can boot from it using my laptop and I already checked all USB ports on NUC in OS.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Ok, ICS (intel_corp) will need to look at this.

If you are able, download and run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Intel System Support Utility for Windows and attach the file generated to a response post. This will get the ICS engineer up to speed all the faster.

...S