Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11283 Discussions

NUC8i7HVB: Updating the MEC driver results in fatal error

kankra
New Contributor I

I used the Intel Driver and Support Assistant to update the "Management Engine Consumer Driver" to version 2031.15.0.1743. The installation process results in "Fatal error during installation". 

I tried:

- to manually download and install the MEC driver downloaded from

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28215

- to uninstall & reinstall the MEC drivers using the Windows tools

No success so far. Attached you'll find a screenshot and the installation logs.

Oddly enough, I was only offered the update today (it's from October).

Any suggestions?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello kankra, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following: 

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:  

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   
  • Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).  

2. Can you confirm if the fatal error occurs in the same way when you try to install it manually? If not, what is the problem via a manual installation? 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

kankra
New Contributor I

Thanks a lot for your reply.

You'll find the report attached to this message.

I can confirm: The fatal error also occurs exactly in the same way when i try to install the update manually.

Thanks.

Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello kankra,  

Thank you for your reply. 

Please try the following steps and let us know about the outcome to install the latest version of the Intel® Management Engine (ME) manually: 

1. Go to "Control Panel"  
  2. Programs 
  3. Uninstall a program.  
  4. Please select the Intel® Management Engine Consumer Driver and uninstall it. 
  5. After following the prior steps, please download the latest version of the Intel Management Engine driver for your Intel® NUC: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28215  
  6. Install the new version. 

If there is still an issue installing an updated Intel® ME driver, go to the Device Manager and check the status for System Devices Intel® Management Engine Interface. If there is a yellow bang and the status shows Code 10, there may be an issue with the operating system (OS). If you are using a pre-existing image or clone, it is recommended to do a clean OS installation from Microsoft. If there is a yellow bang and the status shows Code 43, there may be a hardware issue. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

kankra
New Contributor I

Hi Sebastian

Thanks for your answer.

I went to "uninstall a program" in the control panel. There is no "Intel Management Engine Consumer Driver", but rather "Intel Management Engine Components". Uninstall stopped with a fatal error. In the device manager there is no yellow bang.

By chance I came across the "Intel Management Engine Driver" (without the term "consumer" in its name) and gave it a try. It offered me to fix the installation, which I accepted. After a restart, the update process stopped again with a fatal error, but uninstall suddenly worked. After that, I could then install the new version. Everything is fine now.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello kankra,   

Thank you for your reply. 

I am glad to hear that you were able to fix this problem, thank you for sharing the details with us. 

I would proceed to close this inquiry, however; if you get to need further support, please submit a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,   

Sebastian M