cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DBach4
Beginner

NUC8i7HVK: Audio port on the back locked to speaker output

Hello!

I have an issue ever since I tried to use the audio port on the back as a digital input. (Which didn't work, but also wasn't advertised. It was just to test if it would work) Before that, every time I plugged something into that port, a dialog opened, asking me what was plugged in. (Headphones, speakers, microphone, line-in, etc...) After that brief test however, it now always says something is plugged into the digital output, and always automatically selects the port as a speaker output. This is bad, since I usually use it as an analog line-in.

The diver is up to date. I have tried reinstalling the driver. The "Automatic popup"-option in the Realtek HD Audio-Manager is active.

Is there a possible solution for this, short of reinstalling windows?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Do the following:

1. Download the latest RealTek driver package to the NUC. It is available here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27709/NUCs-Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver-for-Intel-... Download Realtek* High Definition Audio Driver for Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i7HNK, NUC8i7HVK.
  2. Disable network access (disconnect Ethernet cable(s) and disable wireless access).
  3. Disconnect anything connected to the front/rear audio jacks.
  4. Uninstall the existing RealTek driver package.
  5. Reboot.
  6. Install the downloaded RealTek driver package.
  7. Reboot.
  8. Restore network access.
  9. Verify RealTek is showing nothing connected.
  10. Plug in analog input cable and verify detection.

Hope this helps,

...S

DBach4
Beginner

Thank you for your answer.

I followed your intructions, sadly, it fails at step 9 "Verify RealTek is showing nothing connected." It still shows the digital output as connected, even if there are no plugs in either audio jack. And for step 10, pluging in a cable still does not open the dialog.

idata
Community Manager

With out pulling the NUC apart to see just how that rear sound port work I would have to say when you plugged in a non recommended Digital plug into it you did some damage As it is for Optical and normal 3.5mm Earphone style plugs Only You may need to have it repaired.

DBach4
Beginner

What i plugged in was a Mini-TOSLink. So it was exactly the kind of plug it was designed for, right? And as far as I know, TOSLink doesn't carry any electricity, so I don't think it should have physically damaged anything.

idata
Community Manager

Mini-TOSLink. is the correct connector to use so unless the end snapped off came loose and has been left in the port then no, no damage should have occurred There are such things as pin bending and other things that can happen to cause it to read as in use Have you inspected the port to make sure there is nothing in it and Pins are in correct alignment.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Try to use Windows 10 troubleshooter:

1. Enter Settings > Update & Security

2. Press Troubleshoot

3. On R.H. side panel, press Playing Audio and follow instructions.

4. You can run also Hardware and Devices troubleshooter and/or Recording Audio troubleshooter.

Leon

MLevi
Valued Contributor I

Hi Nordern,

"After that brief test however, it now always says something is plugged into the digital output, and always automatically selects the port as a speaker output. This is bad, since I usually use it as an analog line-in."

Walk me through this, you're using the S/PDIF optical port as a input for an analog signal?

I'm not aware that is possible. Would you please explain it.

The default behavior of the S/PDIF port is optical digital output.