Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lior
Novice

NUC8i7HVK BN0083 bios update issue

After successful update bios to BN0083 bios on my NUC8i7HVK  NUC, reboots is stuck.

All I see is the "Intel NUC" logo and "setup" "BBS" on upper right corner.

I tried BIOS Recovery by Power Button Menu and BIOS Recovery by Security Jumper with recovery of BN0082 but didn't seem to work.

I can't get to bios menu at all.

please help me

25 Replies
CJian29
New Contributor I

Same issue here with the BIOS update, please help us.

Now only Ctrl+Alt + Del work.

Power LED is on. And only 3rd led is solid green. 1st and 2nd is off.

Power led | 1st led | 2nd led | 3rd led

Tags (1)
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @lior 

You probably have updated NUC7i7BNx rather than NUC8i7HVK? There is no BIOS update file BN0083.bio for NUC8i7HVK. The latest version for Hades Canyon is 0061.  

Leon

CJian29
New Contributor I

Hi,

Thanks for the answer, I just got the notification from the driver assistant, and update it.

So how should I make the hades back to work now?

Best Regards

abssamad
Novice

Hi @LeonWaksman,

I am in the same situation as the other users. Notification appeared in the Intel Update Utility and proceeded to update.

Now the bios screen is stuck! I have also tried the Power Menu recovery with 0061 bio on a usb but no luck! 

Any information would be great, before I end up phoning the support line.

Thanks! 

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @CJian29 and @abssamad ,

1. The problem with your question is that this is not your thread. You hijacked other user @lior  thread. Could be that his problem is other than yours. So, I will not give you any advice in this thread, because my advice may be not suitable for @lior .

2. I suggest that you open thread of yours.  If you can in some way boot into Windows, download Intel System Support Utility (SSU). Next, run the SSU Scan and save the results. The .txt file with the results please attach to your post. If you can boot into Windows, please describe your hardware and software conjuration.

3. @lior  , if you need more help please also run the SSU scan.

Leon

CJian29
New Contributor I

Hi @LeonWaksman:

We should run into the same issue.

Since the BIOS is broken, we have no chance to get into windows.

Best regards

CJian29
New Contributor I

lior
Novice

Hi @LeonWaksman,

I have the same issue as got the notification from the driver assistant, and update it.

I can't use SSU since the NUC will not boot to windows.

Maybe it is same issue as with previous update i seen in the forum with secure boot enabled.

And my HW is BOXNUC8i7HVK NUC8i7HVK

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @lior 

Please see my instructions how to recover BIOS in this thread. 

You may see that the recovery didn't work for other user, however, you may try. I any case, I've informed Intel Support about this problem We need wait and see if their is other possibility to help, except the RMA.

Leon

lior
Novice

@LeonWaksman 

regarding the instructions :

in step 9 should I "power ON the NUC"  or "Press Power Button for about 3 seconds. You should release the Power Button soon as the power led changes color from blue to amber. While you see the LED color change , release the Power Button - NUC shall reboot into Power Button Menu."

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @lior 

In case that the recovery will not work, see my post in the other thread, how to downgrade BIOS to version 0059.

Leon

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @lior ,

In step 9 you should only power ON your NUC and the recovery should start automatically (since the Security Jumper is removed). Recovery form Power Button Menu is performed without need to open the NUC. However, I wanted you to disconnect the CMOS battery, there for we are using this method. Can you please describe what is the model od SSD in your NUC? 

Leon

lior
Novice

@LeonWaksman  you are the best. Thanks you for the support in the time of crisis.

I removed the SSDs as mentioned by @MSuur in https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-NUCs/HELP-Need-to-remove-SSDs-everytime-I-start-up-my-NUC-so-it...

This seems to help with the downgrade.

I think it is issue of BIOS [HNKBLi70.86A] 0061 is with secure boot enabled/SSD manufacture .

log of SSU attached to help debug the issue.

I will wait for BIOS 0062.

Lior

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Lior,

From the SSU report, you attached, I can see that this BIOS problem affects the Crucial SSD either. I'm sure that Intel will solve this problem and for a while the version 0061 will be pulled out from the Download Center.

I was glad to support you.

Leon

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Could everyone who had this problem please respond with the model numbers of the SSDs you have in the HN/HV NUC.

Using the original HN0060 BIOS, I was able to reproduce this issue with Intel 600p and ADATA/XPG SN8200NP (this is the older, non-Pro version of the SX8200), both of which have the Silicon Motion SM2260 controller. I want to know if the folks having problems now have drives with the same controller or with different controllers.

Thanks,

...S

lior
Novice

@n_scott_pearson  Information is in the log file.

first SSD: CT500P1SSD8 Crucial P1 500GB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 

second SSD: CT500MX500SSD4 Crucial MX500 500GB SSD M.2

n_scott_pearson

Yes, I caught that.

The Crucial MX500 (CT500MX500SSD4) utilizes the Silicon Motion SM2258, an even older controller. The Crucial P1 (CT500P1SSD8) utilizes the newer Silicon Motion SM2263EN (same one used by the ADATA/XPG SX8200 Pro (SX8200PNP), which works fine).

I believe that the hang is caused by the presence of the older MX500 drive. It would be interesting to see if its removal allowed @lior's system to boot from the P1 with BIOS 61 installed.

...S

ladparis
Novice

I had the same issue : Intel support told me to check my SSDs, because 0061 and some SSDs are not compatible. Sure enough mine is in the blacklist : Crucial P1.

The solution is to downgrade to 0059

n_scott_pearson

In what blacklist? Where are you seeing a blacklist?