Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC8i7HVK Bios v44 removes TPM and breaks BitLocker

Hi Intel,

I upgraded the bios on my NUC8i7HVK to: [HNKBLi70.86A] v44 [HN0044.BIO]

After the update Windows BitLocker broke and the BitLocker manager menu could not find TPM. I fished around the Intel Visual Bios menu in v44 but could not locate the TPM settings. Downgrading back to Bios v40 fixed this (windows found TPM and BitLocker worked again).

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

I couldn't find TPM when I upgraded to 044 either.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your feedback.

I would like to mention that we are currently looking into this and we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. I will keep you updated, in the meantime, please keep using the BIOS version 0040.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Dear David / intel_corp ,

While you're at it, could you please clarify/amend the official NUC8i7HNK/HVK specs as listed online? Both

explicitly state that there is no Trusted Platform Module (TPM) in the first place. Not sure whether the two respective pages are thought to be the authoritative ones, though.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

No, this is correct; there is no TPM hardware included. This platform, via its Management Engine, supports Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT), which implements the equivalent of a TPM 2.0-compliant TPM.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

I wonder what nucked his BIT Locker and why reverting to 040 solved the issue?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

I can't be sure, but I would hazard that something in the BIOS is screwing up the PTT initialization or is interfering with the ME being accessed at runtime.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Confirming that downgrading to Bios v40 fixes the problem

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello everyone,

Thank you for patiently waiting.

We have been running some tests and indeed the BIOS version 0044 appears to show a problem with the Bit Locker. This issue will be addressed with the release of the next BIOS version/update; however, I cannot tell for sure when that will be released. Please keep checking our download center for more information.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello everyone,

Thank you for patiently waiting for a solution.

We have been working on a solution for this problem and it has been released with the newest BIOS version 0047. You can get this BIOS version by accessing the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27992/BIOS-Update-HNKBLi70-86A-?product=126141 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27992/BIOS-Update-HNKBLi70-86A-?product=126141

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you for notifying me that this issue is fixed as the bugfix is not mentioned in firmware 0047's release notes.

BitLocker worked fine after upgrading from BIOS version 0040 to BIOS version 0047. Thanks for getting this done. Please update the release notes for the benefit of others.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Dear David / intel_corp ,

It would be nice if the release notes contained a direct reference to the corresponding article (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000028717/mini-pcs.html "Intel-SA-00115 for Intel® NUC, Intel® Compute Stick, and Intel® Compute Card", Article ID: 000028717) to save those some time who are interested in the security advisory in question which deals with "[...] new potential security vulnerabilities [including] derivatives of speculative execution side-channel analysis methods [...]".

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos