cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC8i7HVK Black Screen and Audio issues

Hi all,

I just bought a new NUC8i7HVK to use in my home theater but I'm having no end of issues with it.

The all revolve around the AMD HDMI output. I've tried both the front/rear ports, disabling the iGD, enabling iGD, setting iGD to Auto, changing power plans, and anything else I could think of or find on Google and am at my wits end here.

My most recent attempt was to run the AMD Cleanup Utility and install the latest driver from the Intel site. According to the Driver & Support Assistant all my drivers, and the BIOS are up to date.

Further description of issues from most to least annoying:

1. When left with the display (amp/projector) off for a period of time, or even on another input, I return to find a black screen. Sometimes, but not always this can be recovered with Win + Ctrl + Shift + B. When that fails I need to power cycle the NUC, sometimes removing the power cable to do so.
  2. Audio stutters/drops out/stops working.
  • Eg Chrome trying to play YouTube says "Audio renderer error. Please restart your computer." after a few seconds.
  • Dolby Atmos for home theater seems to work only intermittently.

I'm open to any/all advice. I've probably tried it already but perhaps someone will have something I haven't that proves to be the magic fix.

Thanks,

Jon

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

This is not an answer, but a very similar problem with video signal being "lost" after I KVM over to my work computer for a random length of time. The context is not Home Theatre. I use a Dell U3818DW 37.5" 21:9 Curved IPS KVM Monitor. It takes input from up to four sources and I use two. The NUC TB3 and one of the HDMIs.

This monitor has native TB3 (USB-C), DP and HDMI connections.

No matter what, I have to reboot my NUC8i7HVK when it happens. This is very annoying and I'd like to understand how to resolve it.

Note: I only experience the loss of video signal. Audio is find.

On the NUC, I've tried the HDMI ports, the DP, and the TB3. All demonstrate this behavior.

Like Jon, I am up-to-date on all of the drivers.

Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Mike,

I seem to have fixed the black screen issue by doing the following:

1. Removed both Intel and AMD drivers with DDU
  2. Set the iGD to Auto (can't recall when I changed this so not sure it's related)
  3. Install 19.4.1 AMD Drivers (win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-2019-edition-19.4.1-apr3 to be specific)

I still unfortunately have the audio issues. I had read perhaps they will be solved using a mini DP to HDMI converter so have ordered one to try.

Cheers,

Jon

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello JBens7 Thank you for posting in the Intel Community. • What is your system environment? (Display, video cable, RAM, M.2) • Have you try the DP to mini DP cable? • Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility • Steps to save the report: 1. Run the utility. 2. Click on “Scan” to get the scanned system. 3. Once the scan is complete click on “next”. 4. Use the “save” option, save the report to your desktop. 5. To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box. Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Leonardo,

See attached. In terms of interconnects it's a HDMI cable (I've tried a couple of different ones) to an Integra DRX-3 then another HDMI to a Sony VPL-HW40ES projector.

I haven't yet received a mini DP to HDMI adaptor to try it. I have ordered one.

Cheers,

Jon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hello @JBens7​ ,

Checking your SSU report, I came to conclusion that you have not installed Intel Graphic Driver. Your have installed the Radeon driver only. So, please download the DCH graphic driver and install it: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28646/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Just a follow up after some further experimentation.

I noticed Reliability Monitor was showing Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation continually stopping (crashing)... Then by chance whilst trying to play some audio in Edge on music.google.com I noticed it stopped stuttering if I had the Sound Settings window open. I noticed that was showing microphone input levels. So I tried disabling various parts of the Realtek Audio inputs/outputs but that didn't help. In the end I disabled Realtek Audio entirely and rebooted and my audio is now stutter free! I can even play videos again in Chrome.

So for now I am left with two problems:

1. I still can't enable Dolby Atmos audio anymore.
  2. I have no Realtek Audio, so no far field microphone for Cortana, and in fact no audio input if I decide to game on this PC.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Leon,

Thanks but with the iGD set to Auto in the BIOS the Intel Graphic Driver is not needed as it's not visible to Windows 10. I believe it should be visible to VMs I run but I haven't bothered with those yet.

I had previously tried both the DCH driver you linked and the one detected by the Intel driver scanner tool. Neither of which made a difference to the issues I've been having.

Further to my above notes I have uninstalled the Realtek Audio drivers and let Windows 10 install drivers for that. I now have a working microphone and no audio issues aside from being unable to enable Dolby Atmos.

I'm inclined to leave things well enough alone at this point. I can live without the Dolby Atmos support. I can use my XBox One or nVidia Shield for that. It's a bit sad a PC that's worth more than those combined can't do it, but I'm reminded why I gave up on PC gaming now with the days I've wasted dealing with these driver issues!

Thanks,

Jon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi Jon,

I have doubt about your conclusion that the DCH Graphic Driver is not needed. In my opinion it is. This package contains in addition to the Graphic Driver also the Intel Display Audio Driver and also the Intel Graphic Control Center (previously Intel Graphic Control Panel).

When I read the Intel notes in the Intel Graphic Download page, I can read that failing to install this driver may lead to problems you have:

"The primary graphics driver for the NUC8i7HNK and NUC8i7HVK is the Radeon™ driver. If you don't install both the Intel HD Graphics driver and the Radeon driver, you might experience the following problems:

• Unstable graphics
  • Can't set up multiple displays
  • Applications crash after opening"

Regards

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Leon,

Please allow me to allay your doubt.

1. The integrated graphics are not even visible to Windows 10

DisplayAdaptors.png

2. If I try to install the drivers I'm given the error, "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software."

Cheers,

Jon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi Jon,

1. I'm not worry about the drivers, since in my NUC8i7HVK the drivers are installed as should be (see the attached the image attached here). My NUC works without any problems too. Both drivers should be installed.
  2. I suggest to the following:
  3. Disconnect your NUC from Internet.
  4. Uninstall the Radeon Graphics Driver and reboot the NUC (check the Delete option).
  5. In the Device Manager you should see Basic Microsoft Graphic Driver. If not, please repeat para. 4)
  6. Install the DCH Graphic Driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28646/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers and reboot the computer.
  7. Install The Radeon Graphic Driver (only after the DCH Driver is installed).
  8. Reconnect the Internet and reboot your computer.

Regards

Leon

0 Kudos