Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DGour
Beginner

NUC8i7HVK - Brick

So I got a new Hades Canyon NUC last night, kitted it out with 32GB of DRAM and 1TB SSD and it didn't display anything when I booted it up and had the monitor connected via HDMI.

I tried the trick I read on the forums of pressing the power button exactly at the same time as I inserted the power (which seems like poor power management firmware, but whatever) and it booted and I was able to install Windows 10. I loaded up one app (Adobe Lightroom) to import some photos and burn it in overnight.

This morning I rebooted it after the latest Windows drivers were updated and it is a total brick.

When I power it on nothing hits the screen, ever, out of either HDMI port,. The keyboard and mouse do not light up wither - USB. Sometimes the Power LED goes Blue when I use the 'power on and plug in trick' but most of the time just one orange LED is on. (I can't find LED code docs anywhere... thanks!).

I have tried removing the security jumper, removing the SSD, removing the memory. Even with the memory removed it doesn't power up and give any beep/blink codes. I also tried the 'press hard' on the power button to no avail.

Am quite confused - isn't it supposed to be easier and more reliable than this?

dg

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Looks that one thing you didn't try yet:

Disconnect the CMOS battery connector and reconnect is after 15 minutes.

Leon

Edit

For Power LED blinking Codes please refer to para. 4 on page 63 of Technical Product Specification: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/nuc-kits/NUC8i7HVK_TechProdSpec.p... https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/nuc-kits/NUC8i7HVK_TechProdSpec.p...

DGour
Beginner

So as I was receiving your email I managed to get it to somehow boot. I had to hold the powe rbutton down while plugging it in and then unplug and plugin the HDMI cable. From there I was able to load the latest BIOS. Am now updating all of the Intel device drivers (which is a tad onerous considering your web tool makes you reboot after many of the device driver updates.

Am not sure what is going on with it, hopefully the new BIOS will stabilize things...

dg

LeonWaksman
Super User

I'm glad that your NUC is alive again. I'm updating driver manually only. One after each other. I'm rebooting computer only once, after the last driver is updated.

Good luck

Leon

ikang1
Beginner

Does it work for you?

If so would you please share how to do with CMOS battery? I'm having same problem and weighting to claim RMA.

Thanks.