Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11296 Discussions

NUC8i7HVK Fan Rattle

CAdam19
Beginner

I purchased a brand new NUC8i7HVK today and while installing the OS I noticed there is a fan noise a certain RPMs that sounds like a rattle or bad bearing. What steps do I need to take to get this fixed? Very disappointing to have an issue out of such an expensive computer.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
Hello CAdam19, Thank you for posting on the Intel® Communities. Please, try the following: 1- Inspect the fan to check if something is obstructing the fan. 2- Try to clean the radiators with compressed air. 3- Undo any hardware or BIOS changes. 4- Inspect for signals of physical damage Also, let us know the following information:RAM part number and BIOS version installed. Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
CAdam19
Beginner

AmyC, it appears to be the FAN 1 which is the right-most fan on the unit if looking from the top of the unit with the front ports facing your body.

CAdam19
Beginner

The unit does not have any thing visible that I can tell obstructing the fan and the radiators are clean (the unit has only been one for a few hours, its brand new!). The noise itself is present when the fan speed is around 2000-2100 RPM and sounds like a bad bearing or fan blade rubbing, but I do not hear it at other speeds.

BIOS HNKBLi70.86A.0053.2018.1217.1739, INTEL - 35

RAM Bank 0 Part Number CT8G4SFS824A.C8FDD1

RAM Bank 2 Part Number CT8G4SFS824A.C8FDD1

LeonWaksman
Super User

This cli​p may help you to understand how to reach the blowers https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-fiePyi6Xu0

You may also unplug each blower separatelly.

Leon​

CAdam19
Beginner

I dont want the void the warranty, the NUC literally has about 5 hours runtime on it.