Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EPark13
Beginner

NUC8i7HVK - Front Mic/Speaker port does not recognize mic input

I have a NUC8i7HVK and today is the first time I am trying to use a headset 3.5mm jack in the front port. This port claims to be mic/speaker, so I imagine that it should work for a headset which has both.

When I plug the headset into the port I cannot see any microphone device appear in the sound settings. Only the internal mic array inside the NUC itself. I have updated to the latest drivers using the Driver and Support assistant, and still it's a no-go. I believe this should work. Any tips on getting a 3.5mm headset to work on my NUC?

I'm running Windows 10 with the latest updates. I thought that the Realtek driver should come with the HD Audio Manager, but that does not seem to be installed after updating the drivers. On past machines this tool lets you setup the inputs/outputs when you plug a device in.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Does your headset jack look like the one on page 25, section 1.11 of the tech spec?

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/nuc-kits/NUC8i7HVK_TechProdSpec.p...

Doc

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The Intel HD Audio Manager specifically supports audio output (only) via the HDMI and DisplayPort connectors. The RealTek IC, on the other hand, supports audio input/output via the 3.5mm connector.

...S

EPark13
Beginner

Al.Hill - My headset jack does look like that with the 3 lines, which I guess is called the 4 pole.

n.scott.pearson - I was specifically meaning the RealTek Audio management software. It used to come bundled with drivers I have installed on previous machines. Though I suppose I think they were all Windows 7. Maybe it no longer installed in Windows 10.

Regardless, I would still expect a microphone device to be present or at least appear when a mic is plugged into that front audio port. I have no such choice, only the Microphone array which is inside the NUC appears.

n_scott_pearson

There are multiple standards for how the various signals could appear in the jack. Just because it has 4 poles doesn't mean it is in correct order - and if it isn't correct, the microphone may not be recognized as having been plugged in.

Just saying,

...S

EPark13
Beginner

It appears to be AHJ, the same pinout as specified in the PDF. I was unable to determine from Skullcandy's website. However, I have successfully tested it with my Surface Book which I have seen claims that this is the standard used.

On my surface book, the mic shows as a device and marked unplugged until it is plugged in. It also uses realtek drivers. On my NUC there is no such device even shown. I have it set to show disabled devices too.

n_scott_pearson

Ok, the other conclusion is that the jack or the RealTek device is not working properly. Before giving up, try this: with Internet connection completely disabled, uninstall the existing RealTek software, reboot and then install the latest package from the Intel site. Here is the link to this package: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27879/Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver-for-Windows-10-....

Hope this helps,

...S

Beginner

Hi,

i have exactly the same problem. Yesterday i tried to skype with some friends for the first time since i bought the NUC.

My headset is not recognized, the NUC only uses the internal mic's. I tried everything, but there seems to be no way for me to use my Headset's mic with this device...