Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeffrey2019
Novice

NUC8i7HVK(Hades NUC) auto restart after wake up from sleep when connected to LG 5K display via thunderbolt 3 interface

NUC8i7HVK support 5K resolution via thunderbolt 3 interface now.

But...

with latest win 10 OS, NUC8i7HVK(Hades NUC) will auto restart after press power button to wake up from sleep.

Seems there is compatibility issue for wake up mechanism of thunderbolt 3 interface.

Now I can do nothing except to disable sleep feature, can intel do something to solve the issue, since intel is thunderbolt 3 Initiators.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Ray_W_Intel
Employee

Jeffrey,

For clarification the NUC8i7HVK does not list 5K over a single thunderbolt/dp cable as a supported configuration via the official Technical Product Specification.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/nuc-kits/NUC8i7HVK_TechProdSpec.p... https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/nuc-kits/NUC8i7HVK_TechProdSpec.p...

Specifically the 5120x2880 support is over a dual-cable connection.

Can you provide where you have seen this listed on Intel's site.

Jeffrey2019
Novice

Hi Rwashington

I haven't seen it anywhere on intel website, but the real fact is the NUC8i7HVK do support 5k resolution(5120x2880) via thunderbolt 3 interface now(Stream two DP signals via single thunderbolt 3 interface).

The only issue I am having now is that the NUC auto restart when wakeup from sleep(based on my limited knowledge, it seems there is some signal missing when NUC wake up, maybe NUC need to send some specific signal to display via thunderbolt 3 interface).

There is test result about it on YouTube, that's the reason why I purchased NUC8i7HVK for my LG 5K display.

There is also a related discussion about 5K via single thunderbolt 3 interface for the last generation NUC (Skull Canyon), which can't support 5K via single thunderbolt 3 interface.

MLevi
Valued Contributor I

Jeffrey,

The thread in the link you posted

DOES NOT say that 5K is possible on the Skull Canyon or any NUC for that matter. It is referring to commercial about Apple products, mostly.

Jeffrey2019
Novice

Mike

I am not trying to proof that the Skull Canyon support 5K resolution.

Instead, I am trying to let you know how single thunderbolt 3 interface support 5K resolution by combining 2 x DP1.2 signals into single thunderbolt 3 interface.

The real fact is that NUC8i7HVK(Hades NUC) do support 5k resolution via single thunderbolt 3 interface now. It is working on my desktop now!!!!!

It is strange that people here try to deny the real fact(Hades NUC support 5K resolution, 5120 x 2880).

The issue I am trying to report is that there is wake up issue after sleep, not whether Hades NUC support 5K resolution or not.

Just get one LG 5K display and test, and you will understand what I am saying.

Facts speak louder than words.

Jeffrey2019
Novice

Hi Rwashington

Unfortunately, the data sheet you linked say that it supports 5K display via 2 x DP1.2, this is exactly how LG 5K works.

Two rear Type C interfaces are exactly the same interfaces of two thunderbolt 3 interface the hades NUC have.

Jeffrey2019
Novice

More proofs.

5K resolution selected in Windows 10 !

single thunderbolt 3 interface of LG 5K.

Ray_W_Intel
Employee

Jeffrey,

While it is good to see that the panel is working for you at the expected resolution the reason for the pushback has more to do with signal integrity of a validated configuration rather than simply saying "we won't support you". Because the Alpine Ridge controller only allows for DP1.2 rather than fully validated DP1.3 or higher its a certification result at a test lab rather than individual testing.

That being said, I believe we have a panel around the lab here that we can try to replicate your findings of reboot after sleep rather than waking as expected.

Can you confirm for me the BIOS version you are using on the system, as well as the graphics driver versions for both the igpu and dgpu?

Jeffrey2019
Novice

Hi Rwashington

Glad to see your reply, let us move forward to solve the issue, I will do everything I can to get the issue resolved.

The bios version is: 0049.

driver version for igpu is: 24.20.100.6229

driver version for dgpu is: 24.20.11026.1

I also attached running result of intel System Support Utility here.

Thanks.

Ray_W_Intel
Employee

Hello Jeffrey,

I wanted to give you an update on this.

I was able to source the LG 5K Thunderbolt 3 monitor from a coworker to test with and was able to run the HVK at 5K@60hz over a single thunderbolt cable as you had suggested.

However, I was unable to reproduce your specific issue of the system failing to wake from sleep, instead rebooting. My setup is set with the same drivers and bios as you have with 0049, 6229, and 11026.1. I was however looking through some of your SSU.txt and noticed that you are running some VMware related tasks, can I ask what kind of usage model you are using? Also what devices you have connected to both the TBT3 monitor, as well as any other monitors or peripherals you may have running most of the time.

I tried with both a Samsung NVMe drive as well as a sata based install and neither were able to reproduce the same reboot from sleep issue.

Jeffrey2019
Novice

Rwashington

Thanks for the effort made for the test.

The NUC is used most at home, normal home usage.

I will uninstall VMware, which is not used frequently.

There is no device connected to LG 5K, but it has embedded WebCam and Microphone. Also I found there is a device which lack driver support.

There is also no peripherals connected to Hades NUC, except two bluetooth devices, Logitech keyboard and mouse.

- Logitech K760 Solar Keyboard

- Logitech M557 Mouse

I will try to connect the Hades NUC to HDMI TV to verify the sleep issue, meanwhile can you provide some methods to capture trace log to analysis the reboot reason?

I will respond on Sunday next time.

Thanks.

Jeffrey2019
Novice

Rwashington

Just for an update

Today, I made some tests, reboot after wakeup from sleep issue repeated in below scenarios:

1. uninstalled VMware, connected to LG 5K via thunderbolt 3.

2. disconnected all bluetooth devices(power off bluetooth keyboard and mouse), USB keyboard and LG 5K via thunderbolt 3.

3. connected to 1080P TV via HDMI port.

Suddenly, I found I can not enter into BIOS even fast boot is disabled, and no Fn prompt displayed at booting even Fn prompt display checkbox is checked.

It seems there is some hardware issue with my NUC, I will contact intel support team for the hardware fix.

After that, I will update the result.

Thanks.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Jeffrey2018,

Based on the issues described above, you may also follow these steps to fix this issue:

1. Confirm that HDMI resolution on monitor isn't supported for the BIOS - maybe test another monitor.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005847/mini-pcs.html Can't Access BIOS Setup with F2 Key for Intel® NUC

2. Perform a BIOS Recovery by the Security Jumper:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html BIOS Recovery Update Instructions for Intel® NUC

See page 46 & 47 for the jumper location.

Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i7HVK - https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/nuc-kits/NUC8i7HVK_TechProdSpec.p... Technical Product Specification

Latest BIOS:

BIOS Update [HNKBLi70.86A] | Version: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28185/?product=126143 0050 (Latest) Date: 9/27/2018

if that does not work, it looks like a warranty replacement would be the next step. If purchased less than 30-days ago, you can go back to the reseller. If more than 30-days, contact Intel Customer Support in your country/region.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
Jeffrey2019
Novice

Hi All

To anybody who are interested in this topic or have the same issue.

My final root cause for 'reboot after wakeup from sleep issue' is due to hardware fault.

I have got new replacement from intel, and wakeup from sleep works fine.

It has nothing to do with thunderbolt 3 or 5K resolution.

NUC8i7HVK support 5K resolution at 60Hz, and no issue with sleep.

Thanks.