Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

NUC8i7HVK - No Undervolting Enabled

I recently bought NUC8i7HVK and the CPU runs really hot.

I've disabled Turbo Boost for now but this is no solution in the longer term.

My Question: Why aren't we allowed to undervolt CPU Vcore?

Can you please fix this with a bios update?

0 Kudos
44 Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

I have the same problem, really want to set the vcore voltage offset to minus but lowest i can go is 0.

Really need to undervolt my unit since the cpu reaches 100 degrees celsius.

So it would be nice to enable vcore voltage offset with the next bios update.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

So what you are asking for is a negative offset voltage?

You could set a static VID to the processor and then drop your Turbo Boost Power Max and Turbo Boost Short Power Max values from 65/65 down to 45/55 or something more realistic but asking for a negative offset isn't something that would be easy to validate as you would likely run into stability issues fairly quickly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

If the normal operating temps are near 100 degrees C, then I recommend you return your unit for a replacement.

It should NOT operate at that temperature normally. The HVKs I've seen testing the overclocking reach those temps, but not normal, daily activity.

People are returning the units for replacement - you can search on this blog and others. It may be caused by the thermal transfer performance characteristics of the "Thermal Paste" material used. I've completely disassembled mine and replaced with an appropriate "slathering" of Grizzly. The enclosure was a pain until I watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fiePyi6Xu0 Hades Canyon NUC Disassembly and Blowers-Cooling Solution - YouTube

When I disassembled the NUC (8i7HVK) and inspected the paste used by Intel, it was not fully covering the die. I wasn't getting any heat issues, but I wanted a different quality job on this to be "safe." I do this with ALL my computers because I do not want heat issues.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Yes, i want to be able to set negative offset voltage.

I've owned other NUC Units before and it was always possible to go down like -0.100 - -0.150 vcore offset.

This resulted in 5-10 degrees lower temps.

So please Intel patch this...

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello all,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support and for your feedback regarding this product.

I would like to get some information about your systems. Please run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and attach the results so that we can review them and provide further details about this issue.

Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

I recommend you to reset your BIOS settings to default values.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

This topic is about a request to intel: Enable: Vcore Offset Voltage to be able to be set to a negative value.

Right now "0" is the lowest we can go for Vcore Offset Voltage.

With previous NUC's, for example NUC6i7KYK, it was possible to set the Vcore Offset Voltage to a negative value. For Example -0.100..

I could always lower the temperature of my CPU like 5-10 degrees with this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Dear Intel,

Using the 64-bit version of the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool, I experienced my first FAIL.

Log attached for your analysis please.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Ok, I'm thoroughly confused.

I just ran the exact same test again, and it passed.

Nothing changed other than the results.

Background

I reboot before every test and wait for the system to settle. To make sure that my tests are repeatable, I set a timer for 4 minutes after each reboot, to begin testing with the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool (64 bit version).

Outcome

The results were surprising, no temperature failures this time around.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Third and final test, this time with another sensor program running.

It's a pass. There was thermal throttling, but no complete thermal fails like the first test.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

More System info and additional test using HWiNFO64 and Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool (IPDT)

Windows 10 Pro 64 for Workstations

• Windows OS Fast-Ring
  • System Tuning / Specifics
    • Background Processes have priority
    • Indexing on C, M Drives
    • M Drive is an M.2 120GB Internal
      • pagefile (System managed) exists here
      • Using a symbolic link (on C:\), swapfile.sys exists here

Two Files attached (can be used in performance analysis - time sync'ing should be simple):

• Test # 4 using the IPDT (64 Bit)
  • HWiNFO64-Log.CSV

Testing Sequence

• Reboot
  • Wait four minutes
  • Start HWiNFO64 first and enable logging
  • Reset the sensor values in HWiNFO64 back to default
  • Start IPDT

Please let me know if you need my System Information output, via private email.

No additional external cooling or airflow devices. However, I do have the NUC perched on top of a 3" tall x 5" diameter, screen-type, round paperclip holder. The ambient temperature during all of the tests was +/- 3 degrees 72 F.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello all,

By reviewing system information we can determine if your processor is running very hot as it may vary depending on power management, BIOS settings, among others. I will do further research so that we can provide an answer regarding any future BIOS enhancements.

In the meantime, I will review the information provided by MikeLevine to assist you as soon as possible.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hello Intel,

My Bios Settings are all "Defauit" except for "Intel Turbo Boost", that i turned off, because off my CPU was reaching 100 degrees celsius all the time.

If you could allow us to set Vcore Voltage Offset to a negative value with the next Bios Update, me and many others would really appreciate it.

Since undervolting these high voltage mobile CPU's always helped a lot with temperatures in the past.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

I posted this in another thread about temperatures but here it is in case you missed it on the other thread.

Try measuring temperatures with HWinfo64 and running prime95 with smallFFT workset and furmark at the same time. I know this seems counter-intuitive but the phase change thermal material between the CPU and heatsink may need a quick reconditioning and given that the cpu and gpu share the same heatsink this would at the very least be a good point of data for sure.

The idea is to run the prime95 and furmark for about 5min total and then shut down both workloads.

The reason this might work or help point out an issue with your units is that some general workloads are not enough to cause the TIM to change phase and flow, if you run the above workload for 5min maximum and then give the system time to come back down to normal temp this should isolate any TIM issue.

Keep in mind this won't need to be done every time you reload the system, should be a 1 time thing for reflowing the TIM.

I know you are looking to undervolt the cpu voltage and we are going to investigate if that is a possibility on this platform.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

i already did prime95 + furmark for 30min.. temperatures are the same..

but now my nuc is making sounds like a water boiler... even at idle..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Dongerdinger,

Are you able to attach any information about those results?

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Wanner G.

Had another fail. Odd.

Followed testing regimen without adding HWiNFO64 to the mix.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Follow-up Test, pass.

What's different?

Process

Right after the previous fail tonight, I shut down the NUC and rebooted five minutes later.

Using the established four minutes settling down period, ran IPDT again (v.1.0.27.W.MP). Attached pass file.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

please just give us the possiblity to set Vcore Voltage Offset to a negative value.

if you could add this within the next bios update..

0 Kudos