Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

NUC8i7HVK Ubuntu 18.04

Jump to solution

Hello,

I got windows running and am trying to install Ubuntu 18.04 on a smaller partition on the same drive.

I'm using a live-cd.

What I found out so far is

- You need to enable booting from USB-first in the bios (F2 on boot of nuc)

- You need to press F10 on boot of the nuc to get into the boot-bios and can select the Ubuntu usb-stick

- This boots into a menu where you can select to run a live version (without installing) or install ubuntu.

The problem: In both cases it ends in a black screen and nothing happening.

I've seen some comments you need to add "nomodeset" the the linux /boot line ( you get that when pressing 'e' when making your selection to live-boot/install) - but when adding it still ended in a black screen. Does anyone have suggestions on what to try next?

Note1: Bios is on 029 - which seems to be older than the 34 release which intel marks as "Pre production bios release" (https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27747/eng/HN_0037_ReleaseNotes.pdf https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27747/eng/HN_0037_ReleaseNotes.pdf ).

Note2: I have a bit of (commandline) experience with Linux, but far from an expert here.

Thanks in advance

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Community Manager

Ok, I updated the bios from 0029 to HNKBLi70.86A.0037, added the nomodeset and it does a live-boot into Ubuntu now.

So you definitely NEED to update the firmware to get it to run - otherwise it will boot into a black screen irrelevant of whether you add the nomodeset parameter or not.

Will try and install Ubunto now.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MSchl11
Novice

And install linux kernel 4.16 for wifi and hibernate to work.

idata
Community Manager

Ok, I updated the bios from 0029 to HNKBLi70.86A.0037, added the nomodeset and it does a live-boot into Ubuntu now.

So you definitely NEED to update the firmware to get it to run - otherwise it will boot into a black screen irrelevant of whether you add the nomodeset parameter or not.

Will try and install Ubunto now.

View solution in original post

DZuck
Beginner

Did you ever get Ubuntu to fully install? I've been struggling for quite a while but cannot get it to boot. Live version OK, but booting OS just hangs after fsck. The nomodeset option didn't help.

Ray_W_Intel
Employee

So while the only supported/validated OS installation for NUC8i7H_K is Windows 10 we understand that some users want to tinker in alternative OS environments.

For Ubuntu18.04 you may try updating to the latest bios and then disabling the intel igpu under the performance tab. Ubuntu may load cleanly after that but you likely still won't have hardware acceleration for the radeon gpu.

Your mileage may vary.

DZuck
Beginner

I've gotten Ubuntu installed and working correctly, but yeah no GPU support.

What are the plans for Linux support going forward? Older versions have been certified so I'm assuming the latest/greatest devices will eventually be supported as well?

idata
Community Manager

@Danzuk: Yes, I have it running - installed Vulkan and played Tombraider One last week.

Was running at a quite decent framerate even.