Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

NUC8i7HVK and Intel Optane 800P NVME M.2 118 Gig Memory SSD

The bios does not see the 800p on each and every reboot. If the 800p is removed and re-inserted, the bios sees the 800p until the next reboot, and is then not detected. Windows 10 does not see the 800p at anytime. The 800p is plugged in next to a Western Digital black NVME M.2 ssd. No issues with the Western Digital Black SSD or any Western Digital Blue SSD.

I have had this same issue with a Plextor mpe8 SSD.

Is this a compatibility issue?

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

Intel Optane 800P SSD is an NVMe hi performance drive. The Intel Optane memory is not intended to accelerate An NVMe SSD drive. Probably you will not gain any performance improvement (probably you will loose). The Optane memory is intended to work with SATA inteface drives. WD drive is SATA drive.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

The 800p was intended to be used as the OS drive in my case. I should have stated it is the 800P NVME 118 gig module.

thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

I don't understand how you wan't use the Optane? You have in your NUC two M.2 slots. In one slot you have installed Intel 800P SSD acting as system drive. This is good choice. This drive need not to be paired with Optane memory. What is installed in your second M.2 drive? Which drive you intend to accelerate with Optane and where it will be connected?

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

The 800P is an Intel Optane stand alone SSD. It is not made to accelerate other NVME or SATA. This module uses 3d xpoint memory, as does the Optane 900P and 905P.

thanks

Highlighted
New Contributor III

I have the same setup (800P in my NUC8i7HVK, 2 of them actually in RAID 0) and the performance is truly amazing.

This was my 2nd go though as my first unit was defective and would have all kinds of issues with NVMe drives and was unable to correctly use Optane acceleration.

Let me see if I can my old thread and the tread from the other user having the same issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor III

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490VxTSAU/nuc8i7hvk-trying-to-raid-2-800p-ssds

Here is my thread, click 'more replies' to see the end of it where my replacement unit worked correctly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Sorry, for my misunderstanding. I'll will never think to use Intel Optane 800p as stand alone SSD (because off its lower performance and higher price compared to much larger SSD NVMe drives).

Did you try to exchange the slot between the WD SSD and Intel 800P?

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Yes tried exchanging slot, same problem and with the 800p only plugged in. I have seen bench marked NUC units online, with the 800p working with no problem. But not mine. It may be some sort of Incompatibilty problem going on here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor III

@LWAKSMAN​ 

You are not correct at all about the 800P and performance (although the price part is correct).

The 800P has vastly better 4KQ1T1 speed and any NAND based drive by a factor of at least 4 and this is the performance metric that a typical user feels the most.

This is how a 800P performs as a cache drive to a SATA SSD, nothing NAND has comes close to this.

800P.jpg

Highlighted
New Contributor III

NUC8i7HVK with 2 800P in RAID 0:

RAID.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Yup, Smokin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor III

@gkaba​ kaba

"I have seen bench marked NUC units online, with the 800p working with no problem. But not mine. It may be some sort of Incompatibilty problem going on here."

There was a batch of defective units, I had one. The issues all manifested in drive issues.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Any ideas as to what the defective part is ? How was Intel dealing with the problem?

thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor III

@gkaba

"Any ideas as to what the defective part is ? How was Intel dealing with the problem?"

Amazon is awesome with returns, super painless. If you bought it elsewhere you will have to look into their exchange policies and procedures.

I did not deal with Intel at all on my issue other than here on the forum.

If you look at the thread I posted above you should see the procedure I used to replicate the problem. On a working system you wont see the bugs I had but if you do that is conclusive evidence of a known defect, no one should give you a problem exchanging for a new unit.

Highlighted
Novice

I got mine at Amazon as well. Thanks for the super info

Highlighted
Employee

Hello All, Thank you for patience and for joining our Intel® community, it will be more than a pleasure to assist you. We just wanted to double check if you still need further assistance. Please do not hesitate on contacting us back. I hope to hear from you soon. Diego S. Intel (R) Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hello

Is the Optane 118gig 800p nvme compatible with this NUC NUC8i7HVK?

thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello gkaba, In this case, the compatible list of products for you Device will be here: http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?EPMID=126143# As you can check the Optane memory is not there, meaning that is not validated. You can try to install it but we do not guarantee that you will no experience system issues. You can find the list of compatible NUCs with Intel (r) Optane here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024061/mini-pcs/intel-nuc-kits.html?_ga=... I hope this helps. Regards, Diego S.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor III

I have 2 in RAID 0 in mine, another user here does as well.

I have no idea why Intel won't validate their own products but I suspect it has a lot to do with the upcoming Optane launch.

In Q2 of 2019 there will be a bunch of new Optane products that I suspect will "magically" be validated for all Intel platforms.

0 Kudos