After reading about the noise issue I'm having, here are 2 relevant links
Apparently it's a known issue for a long time and I wonder if something has changed in the past 1-2 years.
Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.
In order to assist you better, could you please provide the following information?
1- Regarding the "coil whine problem", do you mean that you are having fan issues with the Intel® NUC, or do you think the sound is coming from a different device or part? Please provide details.
2- Does the Intel® NUC work fine before? If so, for how long it did. Also, when did the issue start?
3- In case you are having fan sound issues, you may check the following link for some recommendations: How to Troubleshoot Intel® NUC Kit with Noisy Fan?
4- Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system.
4.1- Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer.
4.2- Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
4.3- To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
4.4- To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.
Intel Customer Support Technician
- It is definitely coming from a different part of the box. The fans are doing their very distinctive noise. This noise sounds like something else.
- I have it for less than a week so it does that since day 0. The weird part is that when it wakes up from sleep/hibernate, it doesn't do this sound. I'm still trying to figure out the "rules" for this noise.
- It's not a fan issue but I will take a look at the link.
- Is the attached ok?
I talked to the dealer and he told me to send it to him for checking and if needed, it will be replaced but from the links I posted above, people say that the replacements also had this noise so it could be a noise sensitivity of the person (me). I don't want to replace it just to be back to square one. As I wrote, I'm still trying to understand the "rules" of that noise.
I had the same problem with my HVK Nuc, however my fathers unit didn't. Mine unit is currently being replaced, waiting to receive my new one shortly.
Didn't want to replace but it became incredibly distracting and loud. Same here, read other forums with the same issue from users. Lets see how new unit goes.
The coil whining just got weirder and I hope I'm not opening the devil's mouth.
The whining happens ONLY around evening/night time and in the last couple of days it barely happened.
I am looking into your report and if possible can you let me know if you have applied any customization to the BIOS setup or/and used tools like XTU to change the system settings (for ex. changing frequency)?
Have you experienced this behavior out of the box or after some time, perhaps after any update or changes made to the system?
I see that you made reference to a Youtube* video, is this your video? If not, can you record this the noise coming out of your system and attach it to the community?
- I didn't change anything in the bios, not even the fan plan. I just ran Intel® Driver & Support Assistant and made sure everything is up to date.
- I noticed the noise 2-3 days after purchasing. I don't know if it was there before but since then, it was almost consistent, specially at evening/night times. Weird, I know. Yesterday around midnight I heard it from my chair (1m from the box), now I don't hear it even when I put my ear right on top of the box.
- The youtube link is not mine. I attached a zip with the mp3 of the noise. Please note that there is a background noise (I recorded it using my cellphone) so listen carefully and at some point you will notice this noise vibrates a bit, this will focus your hearing on the specific noise.
Thanks for the detailed information that you provided, including the audio file.
I am not particularly "receptive" or "sensitive" to this kind of electromagnetic acoustic noise/vibration or audible magnetic noise but we are aware of people reporting this issue so with that in mind, I would recommend that you reach out to our Technical Support Service via Phone or Chat to expedite issue resolution, here is our contact us information: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@8 and please make reference to case 4653726.
Thanks, I will contact the support along with the case id but what resolution can be offered except for "deproving" (opposite to improving) my noise sensitivity? :)
Btw, that might "sound" funny but lately I don't hear the whining from the NUC itself but rather from the power supply....
I am recommending to have the power adapter replaced under warranty, it is possible that the whining is being generated at the power adapter level and transferred or reflected over the unit, let's try this first and see what happens next.