cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC8i7HVK faulty usb-c video drivers

Jump to solution

I've setup my hades canyon nuc (NUC8i7HVK) with all the latest drivers and bios and the performance of my monitors when driven by the thunderbolt/usb-c output is awful. The monitors have a native resolution of 2650x1440, but the NUC will only drive them at 2048x1080. Using the mini-display ports doesn't fair any better. In both cases the rendering lag is 300ms - 2 seconds depending on the task.

Also, the time to negotiate the connection takes 4-10 seconds (if it even displays at all).

The monitors work perfectly and instantly when plugged into the usb-c on my macbook pro.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Employee

tylerel,

We were able to fully reproduce this issue and with testing a new graphics driver we have been able to deliver a much better experience on this monitor. I have experienced no link failures after installing the new driver, it also auto-negotiates much sooner than the previous driver.

This driver should be posted very soon expecting early next week on downloadcenter. Version number is 24.20.11001.1028.

Please look out for it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
29 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello, tylerel. Thank you very much for contacting the Intel Communities Team. I will be more than happy to assist you.

In order for me to assist you better, please provide me with a DxDiag* report. Please follow these steps to generate it:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the .txt file that was generated. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

Additionally, what is the model of the monitors that you are using? Furthermore, how many monitors you have connected to the NUC and which ports are you using to achieve the connection?

Also, when the monitors are connected, please generate an https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics-drivers.html Intel® HD Graphics Report.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Anthony,

I've attached the directX report.

The monitors are DELL S2718D and as mentioned before they work perfectly at full resolution when being driven by the usb-c ports on my macbook pro. They also work using the HDMI ports from the NUC, but then I don't get any usb connection to the monitors . Plus one of the HDMI ports is on the front which isn't a very clean look.

I'm connecting only 2 monitors (both DELL S2718D), I connect the 2 monitors to the 2 thunderbolt/usb-c ports on the back of the NUC. I've also tried combinations of mini displayport and just a single monitor on one usb-c. Before installing any drivers and updating the bios, the NUC would drive 1 monitor on usb-c at full resolution. Now the only port that will drive a monitor at 2650x1440 is the HDMI ports.

I cannot generate an Intel HD Graphics Report as there is no Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel for the NUC8i7HVK that I can find. There is only the Radeon RX Vega M Settings panel. My understanding is that the Hades Canyon NUC uses radeon graphics instead of the Intel. Here is the data from that CP:

Overview

Radeon Software Version - Q1 2018

Radeon Software Edition - Adrenalin

Graphics Chipset - Radeon RX Vega M GH Graphics

Memory Size - 4096 MB

Memory Type - HBM2

Core Clock - 1190 MHz

Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)

System Memory - 32 GB

CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8809G CPU @ 3.10GHz

Hardware

Graphics Card Manufacturer - Powered by AMD

Graphics Chipset - Radeon RX Vega M GH Graphics

Device ID - 694C

Vendor ID - 1002

SubSystem ID - 2073

SubSystem Vendor ID - 8086

Revision ID - C0

Bus Type - PCI Express 3.0

Current Bus Settings - PCI Express 3.0 x8

BIOS Version - 015.051.000.000

BIOS Part Number - 408435.180301.04s

BIOS Date - 2018/02/28 22:14

Memory Size - 4096 MB

Memory Type - HBM2

Memory Clock - 800 MHz

Core Clock - 1190 MHz

Total Memory Bandwidth - 204 GByte/s

Memory Bit Rate - 1.60 Gbps

2D Driver File Path - /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}/0000

Software

Radeon Settings Version - 1.0.2.1

Driver Packaging Version - 17.40.1034.1008-180314a-326027C

Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1624

Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.01304

OpenGL® Version - 6.14.10.13497

OpenCL™ Version - 23.20.792.2048

Radeon Audio Driver Version - 10.0.1.6

Vulkan™ Driver Version - 1.7.0

Vulkan™ API Version - 1.0.54

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Tylerel,

When you have the monitor connected and you open Device Manager in Windows do you see any Yellow Bangs (triangle !)? Your problem description sounds as if there are some compatibility issues with the type-c controller on either the dell side or the nuc side. Given you have indicated that the macbook is working correctly its fair to point to the nuc having the issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

There are no warning icons in device manager:

(I could not get the NUC to drive both monitors at the time of taking this screen shot). When I plug in a monitor, I usually get a notification like this:

Clicking it does nothing.

Are there usb-c monitors that the NUC is known to work well with? I will try these dells with the usb-c on my lenovo yoga x1 which also has usb-c out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I've now also tested with the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga (3rd Gen), also running windows 10 64-bit, which also drives the monitors at full resolution with near instant handshake/negotiation. This is definitely a problem with the NUC.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thank you very much for your input, Rwashington.

tylerel: Thank you very much for the information provided. Indeed, there is no way to generate the Intel® HD graphics report on this NUC since the graphics controller in use is the AMD's* one, I am sorry for that.

Can you please try installing the drivers of your monitor on the NUC? Please download them using the following link: https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER04236415M/1/DELL_S2718D-MONITOR_A00-00_DRVR_8YDNF.exe https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER04236415M/1/DELL_S2718D-MONITOR_A00-00_DRVR_8YDNF.exe

Antony S.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Unfortunately installing dell's drivers for these monitors was one of the first things I tried. It made no difference ☹️

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

It may or may not be helpful but I found out for HDMI output Hades can be quite picky on cables when I tried to connect it to 4k monitor. I had issues to run 4k@60Hz. Only 4k@30Hz worked with "bad" cable.

In my eyes good High Speed + Eth. cable doesn't work: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ROLINE-GOLD-Speed-Cable-Ethernet/dp/B004LE6726 ROLINE GOLD HDMI High Speed Cable + Ethernet, M/M, 1.0 m: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

But simple cheap High Speed like this works: https://www.alza.co.uk/premiumcord-hdmi-high-speed-interface-2m-flat-d2923844.htm PremiumCord HDMI High Speed interface 2m, flat - Video Cable | Alza.co.uk

I suggest if you can try another USB-C - DP/HDMI adapter.

In next days I would like to use USB-C - HDMI from Hades so I will update this thread.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Since the monitors (and cables) have worked fine with 2 other computers, it seems unlikely problem is anywhere except directly with the NUC itself. But just for good measure, I tried a more expensive 40 Gb/s cable, still doesn't work.

Please do let me know how your usb-c to HDMI experiment goes, as far as I can tell the mini-display ports have the same problem as the usb-c.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello, tylerel. Thank you for your response.

In this case, I will try to recreate this issue at our labs. This might take some time but, once I have an update I will be back to you.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

We changed way how we will connect Hades so USB-C -> HDMI is not scenario now so I am sorry I can't test it.

However I did test MiniDP - DP and it works flawlessly and actually even better compare to HDMI. I can get 4k@60Hz@10bits compare to HDMI where I can get maximum 8bits for unknown reason.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

I was able to replicate this in the lab here. mailto:2048x1080@60hz 2048x1080@60hz with link layer failures reported. After a little bit of monkeying around I found a temporary workaround. This is likely not the answer you are looking for but it might be a stop-gap for you given you do not have any thunderbolt devices.

If you go into bios and disable the thunderbolt controller you should be able to get the full mailto:2560x1440@60hz 2560x1440@60hz.

This was tested with the following configuration: Hades Canyon 100W, 16GB Kingston 3200Mhz, Optane 800p. Bios 0037.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Is there anything else you did to get it to work? Are you also attempting to do this with a dual monitor setup?

I disabled the thunderbolt controller in BIOS (also v.0037), but continue to get link errors and a max resolution of 2048x1080 with lots of lag and low refresh. This happens with one and both monitors plugged in.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Rwashington and I were working on this and I have 2 HVKs that I've hooked up that run 2560x1440 just fine.

We're still working on this, but just for the heck of it, what RAM are you using?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I'm using CORSAIR CMSX32GX4M2A2400C16 Vengeance 32GB (2x16GB) 260-Pin DDR4 SO-DIMM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Memory.

I'll run a memtest today to check on the RAM.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Memtest passed with no errors.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks, figured it would, just working on basic troubleshooting.

We're still working on it. Either myself or Rwashington will update this thread when we have an update.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

tylerel,

We were able to fully reproduce this issue and with testing a new graphics driver we have been able to deliver a much better experience on this monitor. I have experienced no link failures after installing the new driver, it also auto-negotiates much sooner than the previous driver.

This driver should be posted very soon expecting early next week on downloadcenter. Version number is 24.20.11001.1028.

Please look out for it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos